Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Forza 4

Considering how simple racing games are, Forza 4 probably holds up pretty well in the graphics department... it definitely has gameplay in spades.... frankly I'd still play it myself if I didn't have a Xbone/Forza 6

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    Considering how simple racing games are, Forza 4 probably holds up pretty well in the graphics department... it definitely has gameplay in spades.... frankly I'd still play it myself if I didn't have a Xbone/Forza 6
    Agreed. I put hours upon hours into that game.

As I've said since it released. Just give me that game with more tracks and cars. Graphically it is more than acceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil_SS View Post
    Graphically it is more than acceptable.
    Especially when I finally hooked up the Xbox to our 48" (I think) HDTV with an HDMI cable. Wow! And now I can read about the cars, read the starting grid before races, and other fine print, too.

We had not hooked up the Xbox in our main family room because our kids did not (and do not) have carte blanche when it comes to playing video games. They'd play all day if we let them, and get up before dawn to start, too! So now we have a dedicated HDMI cable for the Xbox downstairs, and I can just pick up the box and make it disappear when it's not video game time, or grab the power supply and a controller too, and hook it up to our much smaller upstairs TV with the older style cable with the red, white, and yellow plugs. It's not HD, but still a lot of fun if Dad wants to catch a quick race after the kids are asleep. Considering I still judge games like this against GT and GT2, the standard definition on a smaller TV is still very enjoyable to me.

I've been having fun with my favorite car from Gran Turismo 2, the Toyota 2000 GT. Thinking back to my time of playing GT and GT2, I tended to stick with a small number of cars and I've been trying to see how many races I can win, or at least have fun competing in with the 2000 GT with a stock engine and all stock engine parts (muffler, air cleaner, etc.) but otherwise fully modded with racing tires, lighter/wider wheels, roll cage, and drivetrain parts like the racing clutch, differential, etc. Oh, and lots of vinyl decoration. Got to keep the priorities straight!

I continue to be amazed at discoveries such as bumpers flying off cars in hard collisions, and then still being there on the track to drive around or run over on the next lap(s), and also how the skid marks and tire tracks stay there, too - like doing tire-smoking donuts at the start/finish line and then seeing the marks still there when I come around again and again. I also like how well the '57 T-Bird does as a road racer with racing parts, and again a stock engine so I'm not bumped up to too high a class, but not even one adjustment to the settings. That thing hauls ass! Mine is currently black with big shiny chrome wheels and flames on the front fenders that look pretty decent, if I do say so myself.

It's something like this found online, but my flames are a bit different:

Not surprising to those who know me from my posts here, I tend to stick with the older cars as much as possible, if only because they look so cool. At times I wish I could watch replays as in GT/GT2, but apparently those require a hard drive to be installed in the Xbox and they're not that important to me.

After watching a couple YouTube videos to get a clue about vinyl, and with the help of the larger HDTV to get things lined up properly, I'm getting pretty decent at applying vinyl. I think it's just as much fun as racing. Lately I've been working with some of the gradient patterns to make cars look old and worn, with primer spots, rust, and of course mismatched doors and other parts, similar to but not nearly as good as that van posted above with the SWAT team rear door, etc.

I'd say I've already gotten my $19.95 plus tax worth out of this game, and then some!
    Last edited by George; September 22nd, 2015 at 01:24 PM.

I realize there is probably a way to get the photos I took in Forza 4 from the Xbox to a PC and then to Photobucket or wherever, but I haven't figured that one out yet. So, in true clueless luddite fashion, I snapped pictures of my TV set just now.

Here are a few versions of the 2000 GT. The grey one was the first car I applied vinyl to. Then it became orange and you can see I was experimenting with layers of flames, and the green over silver is how it looks now. A bit classier, I think, but it's sure to change again soon enough. Below that is my latest experiment with flames on the T-Bird.

Expert daydreamer SkylineObsession's Avatar
    Some cool looking cars.

I did most of my car decaling in Forza 1, slightly less or the same in Forza 2, less in Forza 3 and even less in Forza 4.

Not really sure why i stopped doing as many designs, but may be because i moved out of Mums and got a job etc during that time.

Thanks SO. I'm old enough to know better but sometimes I just can't resist playing like a kid.

Here's a work in progress.

I have become totally obsessed with this game, and want to play it more than I do on weekends, but I don't like to let my kids see me playing video games alone. I think it's a fun thing for us to do together, rather than to have them think it's okay to play video games all the time like Dad does, so I don't play by myself until they're in bed or out playing with friends, etc. So it's a weekend thing, even though the little kid in me wants to play it all the time. I guess some things never change.

Both my son and daughter are pretty good drivers. I guess it's hard not to be when they give you the big green line to follow and practically tell you when to brake with the yellow and red colors.

Here's a head-scratcher, though...my son goes straight for the Bugatti Veryon (did I spell that right?) when we choose cars to race. How does he even know what that is? He's only seven. I have given him no guidance about choosing cars.

No matter, however, as he has yet to win a race against me, whether in the Bugatti or his other favorite brand, Ferarri. He spins out in the corners and his old man wins in the mighty '57 T-Bird with an all-stock engine. Sure, it has all the trick racing parts otherwise, but the engine is bone stock. That keeps me out of the A class and higher, which I prefer.

Oh, and just to rub it in, my T-bird now has big vinyl letters on the trunk reading Faster than Jack!, so my son can see it every time I blow by him in the corners.

His sister, however, cleaned by clock yesterday in a Dodge Viper. I confidently chose the Toyota 2000GT to race against the Viper, because, hey, it's just a Viper and not the Bugatti, right? Mistake. She actually slows down in the corners, and therefore she gave me quite a whuppin' at one of those fast Swiss mountain courses that we all enjoy.

Current project: making a beat-up looking Datsun 510 in that fastest of all colors, Power Beige! Of course, then I googled and it appears that's what everyone does with 510s, but I'm far enough into it now that I'll see it through. Rust and stains are fun! I built one 510 with maxed-out everything and can barely keep it on the track. So, I'm running the beige one in class F around a 177 rating, which reminds me: what do the numbers measure? I thought maybe horsepower at first, but that can't be if changing parts like brakes and tires raise the horsepower.

Here's one from the internet. I'm going for a more mild look, than this, and mine already sports a GTX Forums bumper sticker on the back - a smaller version of what's on the El Camino doors above.

I also realized I can make a license plate for this car. I hadn't thought of making vinyl license plates before, and I guess not all cars can take them, such as those where the plate mounts to a chrome bumper, like the T-Bird. I think I'll make a Colorado plate for it, if I get the time. Applying vinyl can take forever, as I'm learning, but at least I can do it with the TV muted when the kids are asleep and not feel like I'm missing the sound when I drive.

Signed,

Ever the video game geek!
    Last edited by George; October 5th, 2015 at 01:46 PM.

My daughter was pretty good at this game from day one. She is fun to race because she's so good and doesn't trash-talk like her very competitive brother.

My son has gone from hilariously awful, mostly due to flying into corners WAY too fast, to a driver who beats me consistently, although I've been driving slower cars against him. I had the day off yesterday and they don't have school this week for fall break, so we raced for an hour or two. I had started out against his Viper at first in a Toyota 2000GT, but as his skill increased, I had to move up to my T-Bird, which is a B-475 car IIRC,

He has a nice pile of money now from single player mode and 100% off Dodge parts in the Upgrade Shop. Probably because I suggested it, he chose not to upgrade tires and brakes - the first things I do - and instead built a monster engine but left all the suspension and drivetrain parts alone. It's rated S-672.

And, most impressive to this proud father, he figured out not only how to create vinyl groups, but the importance of them if you want to let Dad know how slow he is on all sides of your vehicle. We haven't had the "all caps" discussion yet. I took this picture of his car after he went to bed last night.

With them asleep, I decided it was time to build a car to compete with his S-Class monster, and I figured a Pinto-Stang was as good a choice as any. I souped it up last night and did a quick vinyl job that he won't recognize but it makes me smile. We'll be playing here shortly on a Saturday morning after Mom and sister leave to go do a Saturday thing. This is an S-Class car rated just a few points below his, and I'm hoping my racing brakes and tires will give me the edge over Mr. Monster Engine with his stock tires and brakes.

In other news, one of the fast mountain tracks in Switzerland has a corner that you can come out of really fast and wide and just on the edge of out of control. Right there is a concrete wall that sticks out where it shouldn't, and if you hit it just right, you can get three cars airborne all at once. I was driving the Supra.

Last edited by George; October 17th, 2015 at 07:10 AM.

The number you're referring to is the Performance Index. It's mostly based on Power to Weight ratio, but handling upgrades have an effect on it as well.

Thanks RF! That's makes sense, and is good to know.