Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Couch Co-op Games

Couch Co-op Games

I noticed there aren't that many big games (that don't come from Nintendo) with 2 player modes anymore. Luckily, indie games have picked up the slack and I want to share a few that I've been playing recently. What do you guys recommend?

Overcooked - Available for most consoles and PC

I recommended this game to a lot of people and the ones who bought it have all said they loved it. It's almost unplayable in one player mode and there are no online multiplayer features but where it excels is 2 player action. 4 player gets a little too frantic. You and a partner have to cook and deliver orders and it's an exercise in project management. Imagine a hot potato mechanic where you're passing things back and forth but it involves chopping, cooking and assembling. Once you have it figured out the level design makes it so that you're switching roles frequently. I've never played a game with so much laughing and angry cursing (at the same time).

Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime - Available for most consoles and PC

I haven't spent too much time with this one but to summarize it's like the classic Asteroids if you drove a ship. You control a little dude in a round ship and you can jump from the driving controls to the gun pod. Has a cool retro neon presentation.

Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes - Mobile, PC, PS4

This is an interesting one. One person reads a manual and cannot look at the screen. A second person has to work together to defuse a bomb. It reminds me of the rally driver - passenger dynamic in a rally race. If you get this game I recommend killing some trees and printing the manual out on paper for a physical experience.

Other good ones: Rocket League, Rayman Legends, Portal 2, Peggle, Mario Kart, Snipperclips, Smash Bros

Steam Link works really well with these types of games plus they go on sale often on Steam.

I have sat on a couch and played Overcooked with Keith. Was great fun.

Xbox 360 indie game called Storage, Inc. There is a Storage, Inc. 2 on Steam, but it just does not have the same magic.

How could you not have mentioned Castle Crashers? It's pretty much THE best Xbox Live Arcade game.

I think all of the Trials (HD, Evolution, Fusion) games have on-screen four player races, like Excitebike.

Of course, there's Rock Band.

I haven't played Castle Crashers. Must look into this.

Hmm... I've actually got Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime from when it was featured on PS Plus, but never got around to playing it.

Junior Potato
    Lovers was on XBL Gold a while ago too. It’s fun to play, you can do it in SP (Like I did because I’m a lonely loser) but it’ll be much easier with more people helping.

And the music is awesome. It’s a loud game!

Junior Potato
    Actually, something I’d love to see within the next 12 months would be a nice, simple, four-player shooter a-la Goldeneye, but designed for modern 4K TVs at 60fps, and that each player gets their own 1K piece of TV real estate, with controls tuned for both mouse/KB and gamepads like 8Bitdo’s offerings. The other major selling point would be that even playing LAN or online play still gives you the four-way split screen presentation of the old days. It’ll still be playable in 1080p of course, but it’d be better off in 4k.

Add alcohol and you have an instant hit.

If you like RPGs, you can play Divinity: Original Sin all the way through with 2 players. I have it for Xbone. There's story interaction with each character and each other. It's pretty fun. It's on console and PC. The 2nd one Original Sin 2 is supposed to be amazing, but it's only on PC right now.

Diablo III is amazing. I have it for PS4.

All of the Lego Games are fun.

I had fun playing Rayman Legends with my boy.

Castle Crashers is a lot of fun.

Lara Croft: Temple of Osiris is decent.

Rocket League is really fun.

Borderlands 2 is great

Army of two was built for couch co-op. It was amusing.

I really liked Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 and similar games. I wish they'd make new ones. It was on the X360. They updated the graphics a little for the Xone, but charged 75% of the original price. Not worth it, when I still own it on the 360.

Rachet & Clank (PS4)

Renegade Ops (Xbox Arcade)

There's a newer version of Gauntlet. It's ok.

I used to play Basketball and Football games with my roommate. It was fun going through a season, seeing who could get the most tackles, INTs, etc...

Dynasty Warriors used to be fun. You can pick from 6987 versions now.

There's always fighting games too. Super Smash Bros, Super Street Fighter IV, Mortal Kombat X, etc...

Never Alone was a fun two-player coop. Not difficult, good puzzle, good story, pretty to look at.

Administrator
    Cook, Serve, Delicious 2 has a pretty fun co-op mode. It's PC only at the moment, so it's another good Steam Link candidate.