Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Earthquake!

Administrator
    You are 100% right that he won't for that reason and he also won't realize that Ridgecrest is solidly pro-Trump. He took the county 53% vs. Clinton's 40%.

Ridgecrest is a smaller town in the desert, not wealthy. My sister lives there but she has been away this week. We'll know more about the damage tomorrow. She did have a neighbor look in her windows and her Miata fell off its jackstands at the first quake on the 4th.

I felt only a little gentle rolling up here in Fresburg. I was working on my car both times and both times I saw the car rock before I felt the ground move. Suspension is definitely too soft - where's all my low speed compression damping?

Administrator
    Oh wow, yeah, that's probably the closest reasonably sized city to the epicenter. It's about 11 miles away, right?

On the plus side, I haven't heard much about major damage there, mostly things falling off shelves and stuff like that, and a couple of structure fires due to broken gas lines. Hopefully the damage to her place (and the Miata) is minimal.

President actually called and said he wish to help! Guess he knows he’s helping the Californians who supported him! Anyway, you guessed wrong mr2!

Administrator
    I won't believe it until he tweets it.

Administrator
    Was just reading an article in the Times about how structural engineers were sent to Ridgecrest to survey the damage and ended up finding very little. They're crediting the fact that it's a lot of newer construction that's more earthquake resilient. Hopefully that means good things for Cuda's sister.

That's pretty amazing. Northridge quake was only 6. something and that caused quite a bit of damage and deaths too, right? Glad they survived that 7.1 well.

Oh yeah, I should be a good person and provide an update. Forgetful me. Anyway things are well for the most part. Someone shut off the water to her house and her cat ended up pretty hot since she uses a swamp cooler instead of AC. But the cat recovered quickly. The Miata seems to have also escaped its fall from on high (it was on stands high enough to remove the transmission on a tranny jack out from underneath) with little damage. Just the front bumper cover, a headlight cover where the prop rod detached from the hood and the hood came down, and the brake dust shields. Kind of amazing really. The house is otherwise okay, some things fell from shelves and broke on the floor but not as much as feared. The fridge moved a couple feet out from the wall but stayed upright. We think she got off easy considering the magnitude of the quakes.

Reports have been that these have been 'rolling' quakes, so I can see the damage being less severe than a quake that shakes more violently. IIRC my sister's neighborhood was built in the 80s.

Administrator
    Roller or not, that's a pretty great outcome from a 7.1 that was 10 miles or so away. Also very happy to hear that the cat is okay!

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Had a 7+ jolt a few minutes ago. 23.3 km deep, too. Was a fun one.
    acket.