Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Earthquake!

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Mexican Seismic Institute has recorded 105 aftershocks so far.
    acket.

I'd forgotten that you moved. How's Oaxaca so far?

If the quakes get too big at least you can comfort yourself with delicious mole and a visit to Monte Alban.
    -Formerly Stabulator

Glad you're ok, buddy! We don't get many earthquakes around here...when we do get one it's usually a 4-pointer or less. Feels like a cute little tremor. It's always something special because it's so infrequent.

We are getting 3.0-4.0 earthquakes around here (Oklahoma) every few months. There are a lot of people saying its from the fracking going on in the oil fields. First one we felt, thought someone hit the house. The quakes come as a jolt and not the usual rolling style. Looked at the hanging lamps and they didn't even move. Not like the ones when I was in Ca where anything that hangs sways like a pendulum in a gale wind.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshInKC View Post
    I'd forgotten that you moved. How's Oaxaca so far?

If the quakes get too big at least you can comfort yourself with delicious mole and a visit to Monte Alban.
    I've never lived in Mexico City. I'm Oaxacan, born and raised. I moved to Villahermosa at the beginning of the year, and there's no quakes here. And no prevention culture, either. Where I come from (and when I lived in Encinitas, notably) people would be really aware of their surroundings in the first seconds of a quake (or before, if there's an alarm system) and act accordingly. Once the OMG IT'S THE END OF THE WORLD!! initial panic goes by and everyone pretends they weren't the least bit scared, they start doing the things they've drilled for.

Out here, it's pretty scary, people are not prepared to deal with the psychology of a quake. They panic. We had* a 5.5 in the early morning today, and people are all freaked out at work. I don't know what they're gonna do in a couple of years when they start feeling the consequences of the fracking they've recently greenlighted.

*150 miles away
    Last edited by FaultyMario; May 21st, 2014 at 07:18 AM.
    acket.

Fracking causes tiny earthquakes, if any at all. Certainly less impact than the mine subsidence people dealt with in PA before fracking.

Fracking doesn't trigger earthquakes on active faults.

That we know of...
    Whoomah!

Everything has unintended consequences. We should be studying it, but if we wait for an energy source with zero drawbacks, we're all going to be sitting in the dark.

Luckily for Americans, most of the oil and gas reserves are in states with very little active seismicity - North Dakota and Pennsylvania, respectively. But any statements made about fracking increasing the chances of large earthquakes along active fault lines are pure speculation at this point. I just get very irritated when people spout off about fracking causing this and that when, at this point, there is zero science to back it up.

Honestly, I find it amusing that people are surprised that there might be small earthquakes in areas where fracking is occurring - I guess most of these people aren't used to living in areas where resource extraction is taking place. Small tremors were expected in the anthracite region where I grew up, and subsidence was really common. I guess I never really thought of them as "earthquakes"; they were just thought of as the effects of underground rockfalls.
    Last edited by KillerB; May 21st, 2014 at 11:46 PM.

I never said they would cause any major earthquakes. But from my experience here, the complete disregard for preparedness will cause some social unrest if they start getting continuous seismic activity, even if it lingers around 2.5 degrees.

You know there's major mass denial when people live in the deltas of the two biggest rivers in Mexico and they build within a hundred yards of them. And then complain about their losing their property to floods.
    acket.

People have been building in questionable places for a long time. The side of a cliff, middle of a forest, on the beaches and then moan and groan when some a natural disaster comes along and destroys that house.

There are some around here that truly believe that the fracking is causing these quakes around here. Along with the quakes there are questions about fracking contaminating ground water. EPA is doing a study that may come out this year.