Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Petition: Bring back standing start races in career mode

Expert daydreamer SkylineObsession's Avatar

Angry Petition: Bring back standing start races in career mode

Hi all. Back after a nearly two years away (doesn't seem like that long) just to post up something i feel extremely strongly about. Also posted this on GTPlanet, but after a day it's already three or four pages deep without any comments etc from all the people complaining about this very problem. Seems people want to complain on a forum, but want no part in a petition to actually try fix the thing they like complaining about...

I've started a petition on Change.org to try get the attention of Kazunori to let him know that there are thousands of players out there who do not want rolling start races in career mode.

For people like me who've been playing since GT1, i grew up playing every GT game and enjoying the heck out of them including the challenge of standing start races which can often determine your position at the first corner. It was exciting and nerve wracking all in one for many races, and to see almost every race in the past few GT's switched over to rolling races is immensely disappointing and is personally taking a lot of fun out of the game (i never use traction control, even in race cars, so standing starts can be a fun challenge sometimes).

I'm a huge GT fan (who also plays Forza games and others) and it feels to me like these rolling races are either lazy development or programming issues, which, considering the usual polish of these games, seems really out of proportion and almost an afterthought.

If any of you agree with me, we really need to do all we can to spread word of this petition and get as many people to sign it as we can. If i've omitted anything in the petition description then i'm open to suggestions to reword or add/remove parts of it.

And i want it to continue to be an all inclusive game, so near the end of the petition i've suggested that Polyphony can add in an option of having rolling start or standing start races for every event (either at the pre-race screen/event entry mode, and or in the options menu), which will please both sides of the party.

Bring back standing start races in GT7 career mode!

IF YOU ALSO WANT TO SEE STANDING STARTS RETURN, PLEASE SHARE THE LIFE OUT OF THE PETITION! I don't use social media anymore, and also no longer frequent any forums (i barely even use the internet these days), so i'm not really able to share this anywhere else.
    Last edited by SkylineObsession; March 9th, 2022 at 10:23 PM. Reason: Added the link to the petition. Whoops.

(continued) There's a good reason many race series don't space cars apart so far like GT7 does. It's uncompetitive, gives an unfair advantage to those at the front (considering there's no qualifying i've seen so far in GT7?), and is frankly really boring to watch (and participate in, in games).

I find myself making more and more custom races, starting at the back with 20 car grids, just to get some fun out of GT7 again (did the same in GT Sport). For some of us to have fun in a triple A racing game, we shouldn't have to keep creating custom races...

Jordan from GTP mentioned the rolling starts in his review, as did IGN and a number of other sites i saw in a quick Google search. It was only after seeing these reviews that i decided to start this petition, as i had to make sure i wasn't the only one disappointed/frustrated with the rolling starts.

I also plan to create another petition about the increasingly lower max horsepower figures. In GT1 the Mitsubishi GTO maxed out at over 1,000hp. In GT7 the max i've got it to is about 597hp... The hp figures have been steadily dropping in each GT game, despite the fact the real life versions of a lot of the cars in the game are increasing in power more reliably, and can very easily top 1,200hp+. I don't care if it makes the cars uncontrollable, nor do i care if getting them that powerful becomes extremely expensive. Let us deal with the consequences of too much power.

It's not like the physics engine can't handle it, with cars like the 600km/h+ SRT Tomahawk.

It's another thing that's starting to wear me down in Gran Turismo, and i'm thankful for games like Forza which don't shy away from high hp, as much. But i digress, that's another topic for another day.

Would probably help if i included the petition link. First post edited.

I couldn’t find your post at GTP.

I honestly don’t care one way or the other about this issue. 100% of my driving is in online driving leagues. So it doesn’t really bother me at all.

After I unlock everything in GT7, I will never need to race the AI again unless it’s to earn some cash to buy a car or something.

But good luck with the crusade.

Standing starts
    Closer rolling starts
    combine those with better AI for better races

if people want to "cheat" against AI and use overpowered cars, so what? It doesn't hurt anyone else.
    But give us some better options.

and diverging... this Cafe mode needs to expand quicker and not feel like a single path. I love that games like Skyrim you can head down so many progress paths, play how you want to play, not how you are made to play

Quote Originally Posted by JoeW View Post
    I couldn’t find your post at GTP.
    https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threa...r-mode.404902/

By the time i posted this topic here, my GTP one was about eight pages deep. Jordan from GTP has told me that he plans to ask Kaz about the rolling starts when he speaks to him next, so hopefully we get an answer soon. He suspects they could be there because PD don't have enough confidence in the AI for standing starts.

And agree with you DN, rolling starts akin to the real life ones (closer together, double file) will make a mammoth difference to the status quo. They still won't be as fun as standing starts, but will still be a huge improvement.

I read this thread when you posted it, and have had it in mind while playing thro GT7 since.

Have you checked out the "Clubman Cup Plus" 550PP events in Japan? HSR and Tsukuba are grid starts, while Tokyo Expressway is rolling but there are only five cars, so you're only ~2 seconds off the lead at the first corner, yet I still found it a real (& rewarding) challenge.

Tbh I think those few selected races rather support your point in some ways, it does feel more fun. At the same time, it feels like 'standing start' is the superficial evidence of a fundamental difference in how the racing and AI are implemented; i.e. it would need more far-reaching changes and perhaps improvements to the AI, plus of course re-balancing the difficulty levels, to make it work and achieve the benefits we're hoping for.

No, haven't made it that far through the game yet, but i am aware of those races. Still, i think custom races would be the only way to itch my grid start desire for the foreseeable future.

And yeah it would likely be a lot of work for PD to either change most races to grid starts (or give us the option to do so) and or drastically change the rolling starts, to something a bit more realistic.

Dreams are still free at this stage, and as my status says - i'm expert at daydreaming.

EDIT:

It's so stupid with these rolling starts, clearly the AI can cope with standing starts in GT7 - a great example being in this custom race i made (i forgot about this clip till just now when browsing the capture gallery on my PS4):

All the AI cars seemed to cope well with it, the faster ones overtook the slower ones and all is well. So PD, what's the deal?

And before anything negative is said about the fact i went from 20th to 1st before the first corner, i was doing that race just for the fun of it, and purposely selected lower pp AI opponents.
    Last edited by SkylineObsession; April 3rd, 2022 at 01:00 AM.

Administrator
    I, too, like to make sure I have a larger pp than all my opponents.

Junior Potato
    My pp is almost always smaller but I try and drive it in harder.