Page 41 of 41 FirstFirst ... 31394041

Thread: Leon's car farm

The Yaris hybrid got sold to my neighbour.

Picked up a 2020 Rav4 hybrid, with 204,000 very hard km on the clock. It's a disgusting collection of stone chips, tar, grotty interior.

However it was very cheap. So that buys a lot of forgiveness and time that I can spend making it shiny again.

422654070_731797192413935_6894830989642375006_n.jpg

Someone's been driving a lot of miles across the island! Former fleet or rideshare vehicle?

Is this the largest "car" you've owned? They're pretty popular here.

Quote Originally Posted by CudaMan View Post
    Someone's been driving a lot of miles across the island! Former fleet or rideshare vehicle?

Is this the largest "car" you've owned? They're pretty popular here.
    Yeah, it was a lease car, driven by I am guessing a Husqvarna rep of some variety. I know that the first owner was a big lease company, and I know from the inspection history that it wasn't a rental car or uber or taxi (as they have a different roadworthy inspection duration). One of the bits of paper I found in the glovebox was a Husqvarna document. So I'm putting 2 + 2 and getting maybe 4, or maybe 22.

It's not my biggest car, as the Sorento that I'm replacing with the Rav is quite a bit bigger in all dimensions. The Sorento is taller than I am, and the Rav is shorter than I am.

About 6 hours of cleaning have gone into the car so far. A lot more hours to go.

In GR Yaris matters, I've just got some Tesla model 3 wheels which I'll probably fit. Because the basically new Tesla wheels cost me NZ$750. If I end up damaging a factory GR wheel, I'm looking at conservatively NZ$2500 a wheel if new. So yeah, the OE wheels are crazy light, but also crazy spendy. So I'm trying to get them off the car and into safe storage instead.

In for pictures of Tesla wheels on a GR Yaris.

6 hours cleaning and you're just getting started? Incredible! I'm not sure if we want to see pictures of the starting point.

Quote Originally Posted by CudaMan View Post
    In for pictures of Tesla wheels on a GR Yaris.

6 hours cleaning and you're just getting started? Incredible! I'm not sure if we want to see pictures of the starting point.
    Yeah, I started with having to de-tar the entire car from literally front badge to rear badge. The front bumper is basically one giant stone chip.

Today was polish the whole thing with a machine buffer. Then apply an interesting Turtle product that is simultaneously a wax a ceramic and also graphene. Which it ought to do, considering how much money it cost. Had to pull the anti stone chip plastic guard off the bonnet (sorry ... hood ...) so that I could polish under that too. Hit the bonnet with an extra dose of graphene turtle product.

Still have to sort all the plastic trims, and continue trying to clean the seats.

422664128_396328889610090_712613337491365441_n.jpg

Car #96 has entered the chat.
    2016 Swift Sport. Was newer than I really wanted, as I was looking for an 05-09, but they were either silly money, or very poor condition (or both).

Nice little car to drive. Although amusingly, courtesy of Toyota's hybrid tech, this little Swift is more expensive to run than the big Rav4 is.

It's pretty basic. Has cruise control, but it's fairly primitive. No auto lights or wipers, only barely adjustable seats. Seats are pretty good though, far better than the older model Sports (of which I've already owned one).

I bought it Thursday before Easter, and autocrossed it today (Easter Monday). Came home third overall, and second in class. Bit of a giggle on grass, but open diffs suuuuuuuck. I'm used to running a plate diff in my Corolla, so running an open again is pretty grim.

434027775_376896938581644_8878255528990132650_n.jpg