Page 32 of 41 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: Leon's car farm

You are hereby obligated to find a vehicle badge with "sh" in it and put that in place of the V.

Provided it won't get you on the news or a fine/arrest.

2.5mm on that bad boy

Toyota Schitz now has a rear muffler, instead of a cluster f**k of a fart cannon. Plus steering belt tightened up so that the car actually has power steering at idle.

Also threw the "VROOMS" number plate on the car.

Thermostat replacement means it warms up quicker now. New brake pads aren't bedded in yet, I need to give it a really good thrashing to settle them in a bit better.

69661901_1128987157298437_704195931544748032_n.jpg
    The wonderful old exhaust.

For those not on my BookFaceSpacePageBebo, I'm looking at doing a big car juggle around.
    Fleet is
    Toyota 1987 Rallycar
    Toyota Schitz bucket of crap
    Toyota 86 nice car
    Nissan Leaf money saver (courtesy of petrol vs electric price in NZ, doing 2000km a month in this car vs the 86 saves me a conservative $300/month).

Toyota 86 basically isn't being used. So in insurance / roadcosts / depreciation, it's costing me like $500 each time it leaves the garage, so after 5 years and 40,000km it's time for her to depart the fleet.
    I've lost in depreciation, over 5 years, roughly what the first owner lost in 14 months. This is assuming of course, I can successfully sell the car!
    Staying electric makes sense financially for the number and type of miles I'm doing. But a Leaf long trips does not do. Well, okay, maybe a baller Leaf does, but I don't have baller money, and fast charging kills the battery on them. Lack of baller money also precludes me from going Tesla, or Hyundai or Kia electric with a decent range.

I can get a 203-15 sort of year Mitsi Outlander PHEV for about $5k more than rough sale price of the 86. I won't be able to do the same range on pure electric in that as I do in the Leaf, but if I charge at the girlfriend's house when I get there, I can probably still do much of my driving on electric. So that's the first option I'm looking at for the moment.

However all this is contingent on selling two cars (86+Leaf), so as to reduce the number of cars clogging up my drive, and costing me more dollars per year than is ideal.

There's some "wildcard" options in the mix as well, because at some stage in the undetermined future, I might need a car that will tow a car trailer. So a Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2 TD is in the mix too. Which will cost more per year than the Leaf by a lot, because diesel gets a hefty road tax per km travelled. But again, it will commute me anywhere, tow a rally car, and drive me from one end of NZ to the other. So it will achieve goals, by not doing anything brilliantly, but by being able to Jack of All Trades, will reduce my car numbers. Also wildcard, and severely left field Lexus RX400H. 3.3 V6 Hybrid light SUV, which will use about as much gas as the 86 while commuting, but also be able to tow a rally car if required. Or I just sell 86 and Leaf, then hack around in the Schitz until the right spec Outlander turns up at a good price.

Expert daydreamer SkylineObsession's Avatar
    How many k's are you getting out of the Leaf etc?

I get 450km's around town and 550 on the open road in my Vitz. And somehow got 500km's out of my turbo Skyline the other day, which is huge for that car.

Quote Originally Posted by SkylineObsession View Post
    How many k's are you getting out of the Leaf etc?
    Leaf's are only a short range solution, I wouldn't count on more than 100km at a time.
    But the flip side of that, is that even at my power rate, it's costing me only about $20/500km. Versus the 86 at about $100/500km.

Not sure what I'd get out of the Vitz on a full to dry tank, I've always filled it up before it has gotten very empty. But it's 15km/l on everyday hacking around duties, and it doesn't really seem to mind if I drive it carefully, or thrash the life out of it. Keeps giving me about 15km/l.

Man. I'm spoiled with my 1,000km capable per stop truck. :/

I relatively rarely need to do 1000km in one hit though

The Prius I'm pretty sure I got around 800k out of highway long trip tanks. Which was only 30 something litres.

At the start of this week, this photo would have featured another two cars in the driveway.

With only one stupid tiny car in the driveway, it looks like I have a lot of space. Also, ~$30k less worth of things in the drive. Leaf sold Tuesday, 86 Thursday.

Pretty much though, start the stopwatch before I buy something else. I've hopefully got somebody looking at a weird Lexus hybrid in Auckland this weekend, on my behalf.

82110223_2524224424515165_8190227764154990592_n.jpg

Not my car, but borrowed my workmate's 2013 (?) Outlander PHEV for the weekend, because they're on my list of potential cars to buy.

Not liking it to drive thus far, but the PHEV part of it's existence is potentially a great money saver for my driving patterns. However might possibly be the least sexy car I've ever driven.

82502913_785669221945052_5434115403129290752_n.jpg