Page 19 of 41 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: Leon's car farm

Yeah, owned it for 10 of the past 13 years ... I sold it, and bought it back again a couple years later.

Then proceeded to sink stupid amounts of money into it.

engineout.jpg

Old engine out. New engine in the hole, but not hooked up

It's adorable!

New engine in and running.

But is running flat as a pancake, which my mechanic thinks is probably down to timing.

Normally that isn't an issue, because all you do is bridge two ports on the diagnostic port, and you can set the base timing. However as my car was a 16 valve 4age, and has had a 20 valve 4age transplanted into it, with accompanying alterations to wiring. So my mechanic is going to need to consult my auto sparky as to what he'd done to allow timing to be set (rather than monkey about further).

So the new engine has mildly bumpy cams, and slightly better extractors on it. This means I'm hoping for a slightly better power delivery out of it (when of course it is actually going properly). Fingers very much crossed here.

Two thumbs up for 20V goodness.

Agreed.

To clarify, the current engine, and the engine for the previous 10 years is 20v The 16v original went "knock knock" at a racetrack after two years of competition, which is incredibly common.

Yep, I remember, but still have a bit of 20V envy here, refreshed just as your motor is.

The car is apparently now all timed up, and going well.

I'm not able to get the car back until Saturday, so I'll be taking it out for a drive then

Car goes much better. However is still smoky after long trailing throttle. Hopefully this calms down as rings bed in.

Recon'd engine's still smoking,damnit. So at the very least, will need valve stem seals replacing as a precaution, and hope that's the problem.

Missed gear change cost me a shot at first or second in class. Super tight results in class, 0.26 of a second faster would have taken me from fourth to second.