Page 38 of 41 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast

Thread: Leon's car farm

uh-huh.
    It came across my radar a month ago or so, and was immediately stuck in my head for a few weeks.
    -Formerly Stabulator

That was indeed unexpectedly amazing.

Apparently there's a silver Ioniq down the street from me. I never noticed until yesterday.

The interesting thing to me about the old Ioniq's, is that you can get them in virtually every type of motive system or combination.

Also that they seem to be leagues ahead of the humble electric cars when it comes to range per battery size, and also that the batteries seem to really endure. So the 28kwh Ioniq, has comparable range to the 40kwh Leaf, but the Leaf battery is more likely to suffer deterioration. Although the Leaf does some stuff better, eg: heat pump heating.

Right, well the hustle to get GR Yaris funds is on. While keeping it low key, as only a couple of my friends know that I'm getting one.

I've signed a sale & purchase agreement this week, and put down a deposit. "My" car is due to be built in June (Kiwis get a really weird spec GR, that I don't know other markets get), shipped July, maybe on the road August. Adding in all the disclaimers about potential production and shipping delays. It has been a bit of a journey. They announced that there was a new shipment coming to NZ, on 10th December. I had my name on a GR in red, with black/red contrast interior before close of business that day. But they were being super vague on if I would get one, how much it would cost, and when it might arrive if at all.

I've got somebody doing a pre purchase inspection on the Ioniq on Wednesday, they were interested enough in it, that when I named what a thought was a very high price, they haven't baulked. So if that gets a clean bill of health then I believe they will probably take it. Means they have to get from 6 hours away to here.

On one hand, I'm reluctant to sell it, because it's insane cheap to run, and really nice to drive. On the other hand, it's $39k towards a $59k GR, and a massive profit in the bank.

The Toyota Altezza I'm getting ready to sell on again too. The sealed tarmac series of autocrossing that was supposed to happen locally has been cancelled, so I've actually not had the car cover off the Altezza for several months, and the last time it was used in anger was January. So it isn't earning its keep right now. Plus also, hopefully shake $8k out of it, again into the GR fund.

God I'm going to miss the electric car running costs though. Petrol & diesel here is over $3/liter now, and climbing. Diesel has road tax to pay on top of that as well. Meanwhile, the electric car is costing me around $30 a month to run.
    Last edited by Leon; June 23rd, 2022 at 05:07 PM.

and of course ...

https://www.carexpert.com.au/car-new...-rav4-affected

Whup, then the potential Ioniq purchasers found one more local to them.
    Last edited by Leon; June 24th, 2022 at 03:47 PM.

Altezza sold, and gone to new owner (fellow car club person) tonight.

Deposit taken on Ioniq, new owner due to collect on the 19th.

NICE!
    Get that weak shit off my track

Junior Potato
    Just popping in here to say congrats on the new toy. I can't wait to see you enjoying it and potentially rallying it (on tarmac of course).

I noticed that the Ioniq you had was about $30 per month to run, and that presumably includes rego and insurance. Dang that's cheap.

By comparison, my bus pass auto-renews to the tune of $30 a month, but that doesn't include parking fees I'd have to pay... or the $40K outlay for the vehicle itself.

But hey, enjoy this new little weapon. It's one of the last before they become as extinct as the fuel that powers them.

Yeah, it should be interesting a beast, I love that it's just a total rally nerd car.

I'm trying to wait until it has paint protection film applied before using it. I've already done the rear vision mirror relocation, and added mudflaps to the front. Depending on my ability to be brave today, I might try to fit the rear flaps (requires drilling into the rear inner guard liner). I've got a set of semi slicks on 17" wheels in my shed that I might try for fit too. Very few sets of 17" wheels fit over the brakes though, so it's a longshot at best.

Also I kind of don't want to daily the OE forged wheels as they're slightly under NZ$4k each. Plus, I don't like black wheels, so if I can get some other 18" rims to daily, I'll probably try to do that, and leave the insanely valuable OE wheels safely away from the road.