Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: S14 240SX + VH45DE

Pretty sure the SC400 didn't use a Nissan motor.

Of course, I was just using it as an example, since I don't think the VH ever made it into any sports cars... I think it was only in the Q and trucks, yeah? I was just suggesting it was engineered to go into such spaces in the event Nissan decided to field such a car. Or, maybe the Q had a low hoodline, but I don't have any specific recollection that it did.

Quote Originally Posted by GB View Post
    Why is that motor designed so that the intake plenum sits perpendicular to the cylinder banks rather than parallel?

Good on ya... looks like a hell of a lot of work, but that ride will be uniquely YOURS.
    They wanted equal length long runners and the big plenum, the middle 4 runners while shorter on the plenum are longer on the bottom and the 4 outside corner ones are shorter on the bottom while longer on the plenum. There are 8 individual runners that bolt to the head in the order you would expect them to be in and then the plenum bolts on to those. It hasn't been too much more work than a normal engine swap, the swap kits and other people pioneered most of it, the only thing I figured out nobody else has was I could use the whole aftermarket SR20 pulley set (I needed a smaller ps pulley to clear the tension rod bracket)

Quote Originally Posted by thesameguy View Post
    Of course, I was just using it as an example, since I don't think the VH ever made it into any sports cars... I think it was only in the Q and trucks, yeah? I was just suggesting it was engineered to go into such spaces in the event Nissan decided to field such a car. Or, maybe the Q had a low hoodline, but I don't have any specific recollection that it did.
    Its definitely not for hood clearance, the coolant filller neck/dummy radiator cap kills anything they would have gained. The VH45 was only in the US 90-96 Q45, but stayed on in japan until '99/00 in the President, the later Q45's got VH41's that they changed/weakened a bunch of stuff on. The trucks got the VK56DE, another big DOHC V8 but the intake manifold looks more like an LS1 style. I'd love to get my hands on the short lived VK56VD out of '11-'13 M56 sport, VVEL and Direct injection, good for 420hp and 417ft/lbs. I've got the SAE white pages for the VH45DE, its really quite an amazing motor for its time, Nissan really should have stuffed it in a sports car of some sort back then.

I already have the naming taken care of as well

Nice!

Proper badging finishes any project!

Was a fairly productive month, sentra booster helped make room to get everything in, its quite snug in places but its in and everything is bolted down and headers are on. Radiator has been ordered from Griffin, bolt in for S14 240sx with the rad hose positioning for the VH45 so I can use stock hoses. I need to relocate the PS reservoir, redo my PS lines, sort out the fuel lines and get a hold of an ECU and ECU harness (and work some magic on it), tidy up some other things in the engine bay and the big job make an x pipe and exhaust.

Snug fit.

Hood closes

Kinda

Needed a little help (besides the underhood rib cutting)
    Last edited by Mirage; June 3rd, 2014 at 08:46 AM.

Cowl induction, nice! And that badge is SWEET.
    Your license plates. GIVE THEM TO ME
    plates | pints | plaid on YT: https://www.youtube.com/@platespintsplaid

Picked up my radiator from Griffin friday and got it installed. Good quality all around and exactly what I wanted, complete drop in for S14 chassis (and thus able to use the S14 FAL Shroud/Fan kit I want) and able to use the stock VH45 rad hoses with just slight trimming.

Also picked up a Billion universal PS reservoir off ebay for cheap, its one of the few universals that are short, and its pretty similar to the stock one just easier to make a bracket to put it where I want it.

My experience with Griffin stuff has been nothing short of excellent. Great choice

Quote Originally Posted by Godson View Post
    My experience with Griffin stuff has been nothing short of excellent. Great choice
    My experiences as well, and they were great to deal with and local to me, they emailed me the original blueprints, I drew what I wanted changed on them and 2 weeks later I got my radiator.