Page 195 of 202 FirstFirst ... 95145185193194195196197 ... LastLast
Results 1,941 to 1,950 of 2019

Thread: Grand Theft Auto V

Junior Potato
    And you don't even need the dongle if your PC has Bluetooth!

Quote Originally Posted by Rare White Ape View Post
    And you don't even need the dongle if your PC has Bluetooth!
    BT sucks arse. Especially with this joypad.

Typo as I actually printed out the Xbox controller layout. Saved me money. After all, I am actually and truly an Asian Dad.

From looking back through this thread, it looks like I finally got so lured into the promise of this game from reading this thread that I went to GameStop and bought a used copy of GTA V for our Xbox 360 in March of 2015.

Yesterday, just a short five years later, I completed the final mission of the main story (The Third Way / Deathwish) got to watch the credits roll.

I'm 83.9% complete now but new stuff is still happening. Franklin just bought a marijuana shop at the beach and has had a couple small missions related to that pop up. Trevor just had a new Strangers & Freaks mission show up on his map and there are still properties to buy and things like skydiving events and races to complete. I haven't played as Michael as often but I think his involvement at the movie studio isn't over yet.

And there's always more anti-social behavior to pursue. I've had fun lately as Trevor jumping on a train with maximum health, armor, and ammo for the Heavy Sniper Rifle, Combat MG (machine gun), and Minigun (in that order, as targets approach) and seeing how many police helicopters I can take out on the long northern half of the train tracks where the train is close to traffic and out in the open for a long time before it gets in the tunnels closer to the city.

Reading back through this thread, I'm reminded of early 2016 when I was sitting in an office with way too much time on my hands as my department was being outsourced to India and had the time and lack of discretion to post long narratives of my exploration in this game as I tried to figure out what the heck was going on. I got a chuckle reading some of those posts this morning and the reactions to them by some folks who are still here. Thanks for putting up with me, then and now.

So, when does GTA VI come out?

Administrator
    In an effort to find things to look forward to during this whole pandemic thing, we figured road trips to places you can see without getting out of the car seem pretty safe. The main worry is refueling, but I've got a bunch of gloves that I normally use to work on bikes, so I just throw on a pair, only touch things with my right hand while using my left for things like the credit card and touching the car, then pull the gloves off when I'm done and throw them out. But I digress.

Today we drove out to the Salton Sea and visited Bombay Beach. I had no idea that it was the inspiration for Sandy Shores, but as soon as we got there it was obvious that it was. That was a trip, it was literally like driving through Trevor's hometown.

Junior Potato
    Veritasium put out a video on the Salton Sea not long after GTAV came out. I recognised it right away!

Ash and I did some exploring of the Salton Sea area when I was at 29 Palms. Was fun, once.

I spend a lot of time near Sandy Shores due to the location of Franklin's auto repair shop with the free modifications.

Just when I was starting to think I've seen and done just about everything in story mode (I'm at 85.9%), something unlike anything else I've done so far happened yesterday. I'll put it under spoiler tags since it reveals something from the story mode that perhaps not everyone has gotten to yet.

Spoiler:

Quite often, while roaming around as Franklin and thinking I should be doing something more responsible than playing a game, if I see a car or truck that I don't remember customizing before, I'll steal it and drive up to Franklin's shop to trick it out with free goodies. Often it's the same old stuff - wheels, paint, armor, whatever. But of course, some cars let you install cool stuff like Mad Max-style superchargers sticking up through the hood, huge wings on the trunk, curb feelers, carbon parts, side pipes, etc.

As Franklin, I tricked out a dull Bobcat pickup truck with a 1980s beige & brown two-tone paint job with steel wheels and chrome dog-dish hubcaps and, the most important thing - white letter tires! It was still slow.

Somewhat bored and aimless, I drove over to Trevor's house, parked the truck, saved the game on Franklin's phone, and then switched players to see what Trevor was up to. He spawned in his bedroom, as if he had just gotten out of bed after saving the game there. I walked outside as Trevor and figured I'd go on another police helicopter killing spree from a flatbed/lowboy train car. I ran to the train tracks near Trevor's house and hopped on the train that, as usual, was conveniently heading my way as soon as I approached the tracks.

I jumped on and pulled out my Combat MG to look around for convenient targets on the road that runs next to the tracks in Sandy Shores. I was surprised to see not one but two of the custom trucks I had just painted and installed white-letter tires on. That was really strange. Usually when I switch characters, the vehicle the previous character was in is gone forever (unless it's their personal ones that always return home or to wherever they spawn).

Near the stop sign where you turn to get from Trevor's house to the airport, the darts place, and Franklin's garage, I (as Trevor) jumped off the train to see about those trucks. As I approached them, they stopped and Franklin appeared on the street - not me as Franklin, but Franklin as an NPC, I guess. I was still playing as Trevor. Franklin asked if Trevor wanted to hang out and I was given a choice to accept or decline. I accepted and the darts place lit up in yellow on my map as a destination. I got into the first of the two duplicate, custom trucks as Trevor. Franklin got in the passenger side and they had a conversation about Michael and other events they've been through as I drove to the darts place.

They played darts and afterwards Franklin asked if Trevor wanted to go somewhere else or drop him off. A waypoint was set to a run-down liquor store in Sandy Shores. As I drove there, I noticed a bunch of places all over the map with martini glasses highlighted in yellow - bars or restaurants, I guess. I hadn't seen that before that I can remember. I drove to the waypoint and Franklin got out and said something like, "let's do this again sometime" before walking away. Maybe I should have gone to one of the bars to see what happens next. I certainly will if I get a similar opportunity again.

I then, still as Trevor, drove the truck Franklin had customized over to Franklin's shop and saw it still had the Stage 4 modifications for everything that Franklin installed - engine, armor, etc. This is the first time I've been able to swap a customized vehicle from one player to another in the game. I don't think this is important, but it is different.

It's fun to be surprised by by new (to me) content in this game after all this time.

Junior Potato
    Emergent gameplay, my friend.

Emergence is what happens where you build a set of systems with their own rules, then combine them and let them run to see what happens.

It could be as simple as a pedestrian system and a driving physics system. The obvious result is being able to run down pedestrians.

What you’re experiencing here is hundreds of little systems packed into the game, all working in unison. If you’d gone to more bars your characters would’ve gotten drunk and who knows what would’ve emerged from that?

Spoiler tags just in case others aren't as far along as I am. I realize that's highly doubtful at this forum and after all these years, but just in case...

Quote Originally Posted by Rare White Ape View Post
    If you’d gone to more bars your characters would’ve gotten drunk and who knows what would’ve emerged from that?
    Spoiler:
    Being chased by cops for drunk driving!

Haven't yet triggered a hang-out session at Franklin or Michael's houses, but it works most of the time I try it at Trevor's shack, and it's a fun way for Franklin to deliver fully modified vehicles to Trevor so Trevor doesn't have to pay for the mods.

I read Trevor is awarded the Mallard stunt plane for finishing all the arms-dealing flying missions in the Cuban 800. There must be a ton of those. I bet I've flown at least twenty missions. Probably more. I even got some kind of an Xbox achievement for finishing the ground missions in the dune buggy, and I've driven far fewer times than I've flown. I thought the buggy was just sitting there like any other car and didn't realize it triggers a mission every time until I noticed how it was labeled on the map.

There are a few things like the Mallard that I think I should have unlocked by now, according to the internet. I tend to read wiki guides more than watching videos because reading is faster and I'd rather read to get a general idea than be spoon-fed the exact techniques on video. That takes away the fun of seeing it for the first time as I do whatever it is.

Not asking for hints but just sayin' it will take a LONG time to earn $150 million to purchase the golf course. My three characters have $16 - $19 million each now after completing the final mission. Their weekly incomes and the little bits from side missions like tow truck driving and arms dealing makes me think I'll be a very old man indeed before I can increase any of their holdings tenfold.

I have learned where to find free body armor lying around, so that saves me $2500 at Ammu-Nation every time I need to get healthy again. I also found one of the places with the free armor also has a soda machine, so I can recharge fully there for just $1.

My latest thing is trying to figure out what goes on at the house across the street from the end of the runway from which where Trevor flies and drives his arms missions. I was walking by that house once after swimming there from near Trevor's house to escape the cops. A bunch of guys started shooting at me (Trevor) and almost instantly, a police helicopter showed up. I was not wanted when they started shooting but was once I returned fire. I've been back several times now and every time they come out shooting as soon as I approach the house, but no more helicopters, so far. I don't think I've triggered whatever is supposed to happen there yet, unless a bunch of gun-lovin' rednecks shooting at passers-by is all there is.

I love how this game keeps coming up with new things like that to keep me interested. I'm at 88.4% but don't have anything obvious to do right now to increase that. I read about the Mallard and Knife Flights so I'm trying to earn that plane now. You guys will get a chuckle out of this, or at least I did: I thought it said knife FIGHTS, not flights, in the Stats screen. Damn tiny text! I had noticed the number stayed on zero even after I'd go stab random people on the streets, but now it makes sense.

I imagine I'll stumble upon something that advances my score if I keep at it. And if not, it's still fun to drive/fly/ride around and do whatever comes to mind. It's a nice way to get away from work while working from home at times.
    Last edited by George; May 15th, 2020 at 10:12 AM.