Page 91 of 113 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293101 ... LastLast

Thread: Novi's Proletariat Garage

Just realized those are the "RK" line of parts, which means they're the less expensive option and don't have serviceable ball joints. I wouldn't do that on a race car, might not do that on a daily driver, but would definitely do it on a limited use vehicle. They will probably only last several tens of thousands of miles rather than another 15 years of daily use. The "better" options add another $40 to the equation. Guessing you don't plan to own the Bananastang in a decade and it doesn't matter, but it's a point of consideration, full disclosure, blah blah.

Quote Originally Posted by thesameguy View Post
    neither is taking it apart twice.
    Oh this is definitely going to happen -- probably 2-3 more times until I get things just the way I want them.

Last night I had to thrash; my folks came home for the summer and I had* to get the M00stang out of there. So in preparation, I went to Menard's tool & supply store and bought the biggest zip ties I could find: 175 lbs tensile strength.

The rest is academic: crush the springs down to an acceptable height, put on 9 of these suckas to a side, release and slot the shorty in.

Easy. When I did get everything bolted in and was clipping off the zip-ties, even just one of these thick white straps was enough to keep the spring compressed much less 9 of them.

At this point I put the strut in, slipped the caliper over the rotor and bolted everything together. Brakes worked, car drove and I can hear a little clatter going over broken pavement but that's about it right now.

I have Steeda balljoints and urethane bushings that need to go in along with getting that rubber out of there. Still on the fence about doing that myself but now that I have zip ties from Krypton I might be ok.

Now to figure out why my headlights didn't work...

*I guess I didn't have to get out of their garage but I feel shitty taking up their garage space with my toy, natch.

Quote Originally Posted by dodint View Post
    Bullshit, you said it was easy, just cut the springs. Heed your own advice.
    Also the spring & shock combo seems to be working out. Decently paired after all -- if anything, I still need MORE damper!

Might be a situation where this winter I send them in to be re-checked by Maximum Motorsports two at a time. They should be as hard as railroad spikes.
    Last edited by novicius; April 20th, 2017 at 05:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    Eat your Wheaties

Srsly though, it'd be best to get that nasty thing out of there, POR the control arm, and spend the $29.99 on some new poly ones. Even O'Rly's Auto sells poly ones.
    I will be running no isos on this car to start. If its too harsh then I'll put them on -- but anecdotal Mustang forum posts makes me want to run without them to start.

Coating the control arm with POR 15 (and fresh Grade 8-10 hinge bolts) is on my list now -- and coating the arms in silver, too.

I did disconnect the battery earlier this year, I wonder if the headlights (aftermarket HIDs) need to be reprogrammed or something?

Putting this here for some future reading: HIDs stopped working (motorcycle forum but some good tips) and HID Planet ideas

I definitely need to check the fuse first.
    Last edited by novicius; April 20th, 2017 at 11:14 AM.

Nice work on that rapid completion! Send some of that juju my way.

Hey I just had to bolt together some basic components -- you're off on another Marco Polo automotive adventure over there!

::

Still not as low as I ultimately want but I'm not lowering the rear more until I have a lower front. It all starts with the front wheel gap.

But this weekend is another packed family weekend for me -- in-laws' family is flying in for a funeral and then a birthday party for my two-year-old on Sunday. Then next weekend I'm going autocrossing so I don't dare pull it apart before then so this is the height she's gonna roll at for a few weeks.

Lastly here is a driving vid I made to test out my cheap-o phone camera mount for autox: Camera vid 1

Yes-yes, I know that the amount of crackling plastic is hilarious.

That sounds awesome! Like it's powered by mustaches and Miller High Life

Yeah it does - I'd not be mad at any of that. I see how you might want a little more low, but OTOH you might also emerge successful with some wider wheels & tires or the spacers you'd mentioned. It might turn out just right.

Also, the Bananastang is incredibly bright for that neighborhood.