Page 3 of 113 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Novi's Proletariat Garage

Very cool. I have some neat photos of the get together I was at yesterday. I'll post them up in the photo thread. (As my bike isn't in any of the shots)

Yeah, it wasn't a bad time -- she also won 3 door prizes (a nice button-down Triumph shirt -- "Women's Medium", so that'll look good on our kid when they're 4 ), a Triumph wallet (woot!) and an iPhone 5 case.

I was talkin' shit and saying that if she won the iPhone case, I'd go buy an iPhone for it since my contract's up. D'oh!

EDIT: Also, you can't tell in that pic but I finally got my plate on my bike. Now I just need to put the current year sticker on it (sitting on the counter at home) and get an underseat LED light for it!
    Last edited by novicius; May 19th, 2014 at 06:09 AM.

I had to put air in the right rear passenger-side tire of the Exploder this morning before work. Blah, that tire is going to need to be checked for nails and either be patched or just remounted.

In other news, I'm jonesin' to upgrade the stereo in the rig -- it's a double-DIN slot and I'd love to have something like this Blaupunkt San Diego 530. Or if someone has a link to a decent sub-$500 GPS/DVD/Bluetooth/Double-DIN stereo, post up a link!

I would be willing to bet that if there isn't a nail in it that corrosion on the wheel is an issue.

Or a failing valve stem.

Good point -- I jump to "nail" because there are 's that are pretty messy with nails at our storage unit -- or are dropping nails willfully.

I'll get a spray bottle with soap & water and see if I can find the leak on the rim/stem/tire.
    Last edited by novicius; May 19th, 2014 at 07:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by novicius View Post
    In other news, I'm jonesin' to upgrade the stereo in the rig -- it's a double-DIN slot and I'd love to have something like this Blaupunkt San Diego 530. Or if someone has a link to a decent sub-$500 GPS/DVD/Bluetooth/Double-DIN stereo, post up a link!
    Have you thought about just getting a double-DIN unit that has MirrorLink or some similar technology? There is the advantage of the external GPS antenna and no reliance on wireless data, but OTOH you pay a significant premium for maps that aren't ever going to be as good or current as Google Maps et al. A head unit that just displays your phone's maps is relatively cheap, and unless you expect to continuously find yourself with data coverage will probably work better, too. Even if you do expect to be without data coverage I think the smart money would be spent on cell phone+MirrorLink+TomTom app - because then your phone becomes a self-contained and portable GPS when you're out of the truck. If you're an iPhone user, Pioneer's AppRadio would be a no-brainer.

Yeah, I'd love to just use Google Maps -- I didn't know that was possible.

This Kenwood DDX371 double-DIN looks the business and I dig that price. Too bad I'm still rockin' an old Samsung Galaxy Nexus.

If you're using Android, you actually have an advantage I think, since you can use MirrorLink. Well, I think you can. I don't know about how Android versions intersect with it.

Anyway, eg,

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130X160...D.html?tp=5684

There's also the possibility of not putting the map on the screen, but just getting directions via Bluetooth over the car stereo. That's how I generally do it. I don't need to see the map so long as a friendly voice is telling me what to do.

Which is also true in life.

When I checked the MirrorLink site, the oldest Samsung they list is the Galaxy III. #shrug