Page 4 of 113 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Thread: Novi's Proletariat Garage

Quote Originally Posted by thesameguy View Post
    There's also the possibility of not putting the map on the screen, but just getting directions via Bluetooth over the car stereo. That's how I generally do it. I don't need to see the map so long as a friendly voice is telling me what to do.

Which is also true in life.

Game. Set. Match.

Ugh.

As a Windows Phone user, I never even have to check for compatibility. Because absolutely nothing is compatible.

Well whenever I pull the trigger on this solution, I'll probably get a new phone that werks with it, too. So this'll probably wait another 24 months -- but thanks for the updated info!

Hopefully by then this landscape quiets down. All the technological evolution over the past couple years has made it very difficult keeping toys in sync and compatible with each other. I expect some of the current new stuff will emerge as ongoing standards, and there won't continue to be all these stupid, glitchy problems making everything impossibru.

Aka, just buy an iPhone?

That doesn't really help anything. Apple fucked up the universe when they switched from the 20-pin connector (that had analog AV built in) to the Lightning connector (that is all digital). All sorts of things that worked with the first five generations of iPhones fundamentally won't work with the last two, or only work after buying multi-hundred dollar adapters. My friend has a first-gen AppRadio he bought with his iPhone 4S that is completely useless now that he has an iPhone 5. Given Apple's marriage to beating its customers about the face and neck with proprietary accessory purchases, I seriously doubt Lightning will be the last iDevice connector. I'd bet money in 3-4 years - maybe concurrent with USB4 - we'll get another new one. From a hardware perspective, you're probably better off with an Android since Android phones have been pretty consistent with micro USB, micro HDMI, and 1/8" headphone jacks. Unfortunately, terrible OS fragmentation has historically been its lot, but it seems that is mostly behind us now. At this point, it's at least no worse than iOS issues (which certainly wasn't true back in the 2.x days!).

That's my $0.02, anyway.

matrix.jpg

Hey, it sounds to me like you need to unplug, man.

I love you Cam.
    Get that weak shit off my track

*sigh*

It's my job.

Heh, it was a nail. Tire patched, the Rig rolls on.