Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1321222324 LastLast

Thread: Star Wars: Battlefront 3

Quote Originally Posted by MR2 Fan View Post
    I watched the storymode on youtube and it looks like it was quite well done and just had a DLC with more of the story (haven't finished watching it all yet)....putting together (sort of ) what happens after Return of the Jedi.

I feel bad for the people who were trying hard to make the game work well and have a compelling story worthy of Star Wars, then the execs screw it up for everyone with their greed.
    I suspect those at DICE who were immensely passionate about the game and it's creation were basically TOLD that Loot boxes and Star cards would be in the game whether they liked it, agreed or disagreed, or not. They put their heart and soul and likely 12+ hour days into the game only to have EA, and therefore themselves by association, dragged through the mud. I wouldn't be surprised if they also missed out on many thousands of (insert local currency here) in sales bonuses because of a decision that was made far above them in the EA hierarchy. DICE games always look and sound fantastic, it's s shame what they were forced into doing.

Titanfall 2 has the right idea, as does Overwatch. Cosmetics only in lootboxes. Anything else just splits the player base. Now that Respawn has been bought by EA I worry for Titanfall 3, although the push back on SWBF2 could mean any lootbox plans will be scaled dramatically back. Also with governments looking at Lootboxes and Apple now mandating that the actual chance of receiving items from chargeable lootboxes is now shown, people might spend less than they used to.

Junior Potato
    People will be watching Anthem with hawk eyes, too. That game is ripe for RNG gacha loot crap.

Junior Potato
    I went against my better judgement and bought SWBFWTFBBQII. It was half price, so I thought fuckit, it’s Star Wars!

The singleplayer campaign is… okay. I’m up to the mission where you arrive on Bespin, and so far it’s a solid but not overly innovative shooter wrapped in that delicious OT-era skin that we all love, the same atmosphere that we tried to appreciate in the previous game before getting our heads blown off over the internet. Though, some of the storyline and dialogue is absolutely cringeworthy.

But here’s the kicker: even singleplayer is lousy with star card upgrade shite. They don’t come in loot boxes, but they are thickly laid on to ensure you become accustomed to them by the time you want to try multiplayer. It’s a bit of an immersion breaking thing, to have the gameplay come to a screeching halt when you find one and have it tell you all about it. It’s as if the game is centered entirely on star cards as progression, rather than other satisfying reasons to carry on like you’d find in Halo or Half-Life 2.

I don’t think I’ll venture too far into arcade mode or multiplayer. It looks like it’ll bore the shitting piss off me.

But, the game is singleplayer and it’s Star Wars. At least this time you can stop to smell the roses and gawk at the awesome attention to detail.

Junior Potato
    I finished the campaign, as well as the additional single player story called Resurrection, which takes place a few decades later in the sequel era alongside the battle at Starkiller Base. It gets heaps better! The game ramps up the action and provides just enough of that gratuitous Star Wars Starwarsy-ness for Star Wars fans, culminating in a brilliant scene where you fly a TIE Fighter inside a First Order Star Destroyer just as it’s about to jump into hyperspace. The best character would have to be a Duros (think Blue Man Group) named Shriv, who’s got some cracking banter with Lando and later with Iden.

It’s so unfortunate that such a great story has been buried under a mountain of shit, as it does a very good job of putting you in Star Wars. You start out as an Imperial, but then you follow the rebellion as it mops up the last of the remnants of the Empire following Endor. There so much good stuff here, what would’ve been considered the end of the civil war, which in realistic terms didn’t have a surrender or a truce, but an ongoing series of skirmishes as the Empire got weaker and more desperate. It ends at the Battle of Jakku, a year after Endor, but then carries on into sequel trilogy turf and very neatly segues into the beginning of The Last Jedi.

I’m hoping that EA comes good with their plans for additional SP content, bacause that’s what the galaxy needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
    Titanfall 2 has the right idea, as does Overwatch. Cosmetics only in lootboxes.
    Don't forget Destiny 2, or Carlo will be all over you.

I think I'm out-of-date in my Destiny 2 info -- you'll have to duel with Phil on this point for the forseeable future. #PoEislyfe

Junior Potato
    Excellent news: Respawn Entertainment (famous for Titanfall, which is an awesome shooter) is at the helm of the next major SW game to come out of EA.

There are no details on what it will be yet, other than that it'll be an action adventure set to release sometime by fiscal end of 2020, so roughly March of that year, and might well be singleplayer focused.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/a...efront-ii.aspx

Launching March 21

The most fundamental change is that progression is now linear, meaning that star cards and all gameplay-impacting items are now earned as set rewards for leveling up. Experience points are doled out for characters, classes, and ships that give you skill points at level ups to unlock or upgrade star cards.

Loot boxes, or crates in the Battlefront II vernacular, no longer contain star cards at all and can only be earned through daily login bonuses, milestones, and timed challenges. Cosmetic items like emotes and victory poses can still be gotten through crates, but anything gameplay-related is off the table.

Starting next month, cosmetic outfits can be purchased through in-game credits or the virtual currency crystals.

Junior Potato
    Sweet I might actually play online at some point.