Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 LastLast

Thread: Star Wars: Battlefront 3

There are reports that the EA CEO had a call with Disney just before announcing the microtransactions were (temporarily) going away.

I'd bet they'll be back just after Christmas/Holiday/Winter breaks are over for the school systems.

Junior Potato
    Here’s a nice update on things so far thanks to Eurogamer.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...rotransactions

Eurogamer writes the best articles.

Quote Originally Posted by Drachen596 View Post
    There are reports that the EA CEO had a call with Disney just before announcing the microtransactions were (temporarily) going away.

I'd bet they'll be back just after Christmas/Holiday/Winter breaks are over for the school systems.
    Yeah, they'll be back after The Last Jedi has been out for a few weeks, probably. Disney just didn't want it damaging their brand during the movie's run. It *is* EA, after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Rare White Ape View Post
    Destiny 2
    I wouldn't put D2 on this list -- it's not pay-to-win, you get plenty of drops (that have always been random) and you can get to max level without ever stepping foot into the Raid.

Pay-to-dress-up-your-doll maybe...

What Carlo said, Destiny 2 is not Pay to win.

And the items you can pay for can be obtained through Bright Engrams by just playing the game.

Junior Potato
    D2 comes under the “or microtransactions” part of what I was talking about.

It’s in the list because as far as I am aware, it is something that was free in the first game, then carved out of the second game and replaced by a system that was tweaked to encourage people to spend extra money to get what they want.

The main argument against microtransactions and loot boxes is that you’ve already spent $60 on a game, so why are they making you spend more to get a complete experience?

Yes they’re optional, and you might not be interested in purchasing in-game content, but other people are. Enough people spend money on microtransactions that it is extremely profitable for publishers to include them, and once something profitable comes along the publishers will start taking the piss in the hunt for an easy buck.

Another less insidious, but still very worthy argument against microlootransactionboxes is that they can utterly ruin the game playing experience. From the moment you unwrap the plastic and open the case to extract the game disc, they take the focus off the fine art behind game development and wrap it in reminders that you can get this item or do this bit faster if you pay a little bit more money for this little thing here.

It doesn’t matter how benign they are, I’m pretty sure that anyone who cares about video games would prefer that they weren’t there at all.

D2 comes under the “or microtransactions” part of what I was talking about.

It’s in the list because as far as I am aware, it is something that was free in the first game, then carved out of the second game and replaced by a system that was tweaked to encourage people to spend extra money to get what they want.
    Except that is untrue. Eververse and microtransactions have been a part of Destiny since right after TTK was launched in the fall of 2015. And Bungie freely admitted the reasons why Eververse was being added to the game. Which was to fund the "Live Team" that was actively supporting and adding content to the game.

In Destiny and Destiny 2, Eververse only supplies cosmetic items. In Destiny 2, you can earn the cosmetic items by playing the game. So in that regard, it is better than Destiny.

It doesn’t matter how benign they are, I’m pretty sure that anyone who cares about video games would prefer that they weren’t there at all.
    Totally agree.

Administrator
    Since SW:B2 came out, EA's stock value has gone down by $3.1 billion, sales of the new game are 61% lower than that of the previous, and it still hasn't cracked the top 100 selling games of the year on Amazon. Wonder if the studios will finally start listening?

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/28/eas-...me-uproar.html

Nope.

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    I watched the storymode on youtube and it looks like it was quite well done and just had a DLC with more of the story (haven't finished watching it all yet)....putting together (sort of ) what happens after Return of the Jedi.

I feel bad for the people who were trying hard to make the game work well and have a compelling story worthy of Star Wars, then the execs screw it up for everyone with their greed.