Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dalton Highway, Alaska

I was a bit vague with the initial post. You guys should know already that we're no stranger to adventure. We've pretty much got it planned already. 4x4 with CB and two spares already reserved for a week. We planned on getting bear spray. Bears are easy to scare away, as we've had to do it on our hiking trips. However, Lori mentioned something about some permit she should have applied for two months ago that may cause a snag. The only thing I'm concerned with is using the core driller to get the permafrost samples. The company she rented it from recommended we have an experienced person use it and that it does not work well in rocky soil. Should be an interesting trip.

I don't want to make it seem like we're complacent. Yes, we are concerned about wildlife and are careful. I am more concerned with being eaten by insects than by animals.
    Last edited by Cam; May 10th, 2014 at 12:18 PM.

Expert daydreamer SkylineObsession's Avatar
    Give a wave to any of the Ice Road Truckers camera crew if you see them, you might make it to TV.

yeah make sure of the bug repellent. Every time you see a program from up there, the bugs are thick. Avon's Skin So Soft.

Would love to make a trek like that.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cam View Post
    You guys should know already that we're no stranger to adventure. We've pretty much got it planned already.
    Just don't forget the camera, then!

acket.

Why the sad banana?

He's teasing me for forgetting my camera when Lori and I went camping in the Smoky Mountains last week.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    You know I'm just jealous
    acket.

Yeah, I was gonna point out, in the winter the Ice Road Truckers are all over this road, film crews everywhere, etc... I've never seen much of it in the summer though.

That's because it's "Ice Road Truckers" not "Dirt Road Truckers." Oddly enough, there's more truck traffic on the "Haul Road" in winter. From Milepost: "...about 160 trucks daily in the summer months and 250 trucks daily in the winter." Although, I've read accounts that say you can sometimes go for hours without seeing another vehicle.