Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Salty/Spicy Snacks aka something for TSG to drool over.

Salsa Verde Doritos. VERY tasty and a very nice flavor.

Quite fond of those - I can't eat too many of them at once though, which is not a bad deal.

Tanka Bars are awesome.

there's some new Jacked Doritos i've been seeing here. Spicy Street Taco.

they're not bad.

Agreed - they don't hold a candle to the enchilada ones (which may be the best tortilla chip ever made), but they are good. The whole Jacked like is actually quite awesome!

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    acket.

Man, tamales are not to be messed with. I don't care how good your burrito is, it ain't gonna replace tamales.

When I first moved to Colorado, I had never had a tamale before. I worked for a company that used to bring in catered lunches every so often and one day we got a huge pile of tamales that were pounced on like an elephant thrown in a pirahna tank.

I removed the tin foil from one and tried to bite into corn husk the first time. Once I got past that embarassment, I couldn't believe I had never even seen one my whole life back east.

I still don't know what's in 'em, but, as a wise man once said, them shits is delicious!

I don't know if it happens elsewhere, but in California there are door to door tamale salespeople. Usually they go to businesses, rarely a stranger, usually someone who knows someone, but they go door to door and take orders. Couple days later, you have tamales. Years ago our "bagel lady" (used to deliver bagels in the morning) would three or four times a year take tamale orders and they were good. In Davis, our receptionist's mother made and they were AMAZING. When she quit I was devastated. The gas station by my office now has a small taco & burrito operation attached and they will also take tamale orders but I haven't been able to put the time together to make my pickup reliably as they're only open like four hours daily. I am getting hungry thinking about it!

I'm going to give you the Tamale Hongries even more. Near my house is a restarant called the Tamale Kitchen. They make standard fare like burritos and tacos and chile-smothered burgers to order, but they always have a couple covered steam tables with mild and hot tamales ready to go with no waiting.

It's like the Soup Nazi place on Seinfeld - place your order, hand over your cash, take three steps to the right, and someone will hand you steaming-hot tamales wrapped in foil, in a thin paper bag that always dissolves from the steam, humidity, and dripping hot water before I get them home. Juggling the scalding hot foil package from my car to the kitchen is part of the fun.

Next time I have a working camera in my possesion (long story there - kids broke our digital camera, I - or they, GRRR - lost my cell phone charging cable, the dog ate my homework, etc.) I'll post a drool-worthy picture of some tasty tamales from right down the street with no waiting.