Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: It's time for a change.

It's time for a change.

As some of you might remember, I used to buy a lot of cars. When I first joined the GTF in 1998, some three years after I got my drivers’ license, I was on number five – a 1985 Cadillac Eldorado. By 2005 I had gone through about forty. But after a career crisis in 2005-6, I slowed way down – only buying six cars from January of 2005 to February of 2010. I haven’t bought a single car since.

Part of that is that my life got heavily wrapped up in aviation in 2010 – both personally and professionally – and part of it is that I’m also much busier than I used to be. But suddenly late last year I realized how long I’d been “out of the game” so to speak, and now I want to change that.

I have two cars now – and neither is exactly the car I want, although they’re both nice and they do exactly what I intended them to do.

I had moved to Seattle in 2009 with a plan – sell my Saab and buy a full-sized van, use the van to move, and then sell it. But the van – a 59,000 mile, totally documented, one-owner 1997 Ram - encountered an unexpected mechanical flaw and that plan never happened, instead, I sold it for a steep discount in New York some months after I’d moved. I had also sold my BMW around that time to a fellow in Michigan who ruined it. And so I needed a car.

In 2007-2008 I had been looking for another older American car after years of older foreign cars, and had set my sights on either a ’73-’77 Pontiac LeMans or a ’78-’81, but preferably the earlier car. I looked at a half dozen of them at the time but all of them had pretty serious rust. Maybe not on the surface, but definitely where it counted. Not being able to find a decent one, I bought my E21 BMW instead.

Just a month after I moved to Seattle I found this guy on Craigslist for $1400:

1979_LeMans_PAE_112713_side.jpg

…I’ve had it ever since.

It’s nothing special honestly – a 1979 LeMans with a 3.8 liter V6 and an automatic. But the exterior color combination is super rare – I’ve only ever seen it on one other LeMans, a ’78 wagon. This was a special-order paint job available on the Phoenix, the LeMans, the Grand Prix, the Catalina, and the Bonneville, but aside from the Grand Prix it was not really promoted and seems to have been rare even when new. The interior is green as well.

What’s rare about it is key to it’s value (because it certainly isn’t anything special to drive) – but also what’s holding me back from spending any real money on it. It’s a solid 20-footer, but closer than that and serious flaws are apparent in the paint, some of which is flaking off on the “endura” bumpers – the early plastic kind that doesn’t hold paint well. I get the impression quality control wasn't so hot on this paint when it was new, and now it's 35.

To repaint it in the original colors would be some serious dough, and the car just isn’t important enough to me or valuable enough to justify the outlay. Plus, a repaint would mean replacing the plasti-chrome strips on the bumpers, which are worn out and totally unobtainable. Similarly, green trim parts for the interior have proven extremely difficult to locate, and some of the trim is scuffed. Apparently the only interior parts harder to find than green panels are white panels.

So it’s time to say goodbye to what has become the car I’ve had longer than any other car – nearly five years. I still like the car, mind you, and I know I won’t get another one like it. But I’ve also had it a long time, and am probably not willing to spend the $$ it needs for it to be show-worthy.

My partner and I drove all over in this car when I first got it, since he doesn't like to drive, so it has many memories in it. But we're not really using it anymore. I still drive it semi-regularly, even take it to work sometimes - but it often sits for weeks at a time, and I've probably only done about 400 miles on it in the last year. There's nothing wrong with it, it just doesn't get used.

Then there’s this guy:

07FocusF.jpg

I bought this in 2010 because I needed a commuter car on which I could do all my own work if I chose to do that. Turns out, I never really had the time to do anything to it. Good commuter, always reliable and eager, but very loud inside and feeling very dated now – it’s like 1999 in there. And while that’s expected out of an old car, it isn’t so good in a modern car. The seats have grown progressively more uncomfortable and the noise steadily more annoying – but it does what I bought it for. Still, time for a change – and this car is just about to hit the big depreciation curve in the sky. A good detailing and I can get almost what I paid for it (I got a screaming deal on it) back out when I sell it – one of the few good side-effects of the great recession.

---------------

I think we found the LeMans’ replacement today, though I haven’t exactly made up my mind completely about it.

In the summer of 1997, I saw a 1970 Oldsmobile 98 two-door hardtop, in this exact color but without the vinyl top, for sale for $1300 in North Ridgeville, Ohio. I had a big car already at the time, and never did follow up on it. It sat for months looking for a buyer until one day it was gone. It’s one car I wish I hadn’t passed up. That and the $700 1972 Riviera I saw that summer. Blue with a white interior – what a car.

So this car popped up on Craigslist a few weeks ago. It’s still for sale but is no longer advertised:

70Olds98_1.jpg

It’s a 455 4V with what looks like a brand new TH400 attached, or at least, one with a super-clean bellhousing (it shifts silky-smooth). It came from Alaska and had been sitting for awhile before being sold. Looks pretty good doesn’t it? Well, at least from that angle.

From this angle, you can see why it’s cheap:

70Olds98_2.jpg

That big but gentle dent can probably be removed without paintwork – but it won’t be easy. It also extends to the missing skirt, which is in the trunk. The other skirt has some rust on it – but there’s not really any rust in the quarter panel. In fact, there’s really hardly any rust at all on this car anywhere, although there are some flaws - like that little bump on the nose - but they're fairly fixable really.

There was however, one serious water related flaw. When I drove it and hit the brakes, I could hear water sloshing around either in the driver’s door or worse, in the rocker panel. There is no visible rust, no mildew, no nothing. The trunk is dry and so is the floor, even under the carpet, so it could just be a combination of bad weatherstripping and clogged drain plugs and lots of recent rain, but that warrants further investigation for sure.

What’s wrong with it besides that? The front end needs a little tightening, the power steering pump doesn’t feel too good, and the tires are old. There’s also a big old crack – a very visible crack - in the left exhaust manifold – but a new one and a gasket set are included with the car. Everything else worked great – even the defroster. I didn’t drive it too far, but it drove fairly well for a floaty 44-year-old car (don’t expect a BMW from an Olds 98). With a little work, it could be used tomorrow. This car, oddly, appears to have come without factory A/C, and under the hood there's tons of room to work, even with that big block in there. I could probably do that manifold in short order.

Inside it’s immaculate other than one tear in the shoulder area of the front seat. It was clearly owned by an older couple who cared about it, there’s even a little note to grandpa and grandma in one of the blanked dashboard panels, behind glass. It’s clearly been there awhile.

This is in sharp contrast to the 1970 Chrysler Newport we looked at two weeks ago which, while in good external shape and running well, needed many many things before it could even be driven, let alone enjoyed.

For what I can get for the LeMans, even if selling it below what I want, I can pay for everything the 98 needs.

I’d like to hear anybody’s thoughts about this car, and any info on the Olds 455. The valve cover gaskets looked a tiny bit weepy, but no major leaks seemed evident. My guess is that this 455, like the different-but-identical-in size Buick and Pontiac 455s, is rock tough.

I’ve been looking for a big car that’s older than the big cars I’ve had before (nothing older than 1974 previously), preferably something that’s of 1968-1972 vintage. Whatever it is, I require three-point seatbelts, even if they're the old school two-buckle kind. The 1970 Riviera and 1972 Fury Gran Coupe were at the top of my list, but I can’t seem to find a decent one at a decent price (nice ones for bonkers money, crappy ones at too high prices, the occasional deal in a faraway place). The Olds does fit. Part of me wants another MGB/GT, but I never really fit too well in that car and I can't fit at all in a TR-6 or a Spitfire/GT6.

Part of me had also determined to source a Peugeot 504 Coupe or Opel Manta B - but honestly I don't have time and I definitely don't have the patience to be ordering parts from France or elsewhere again.
    Last edited by Taimar; May 10th, 2014 at 07:12 PM.

Now as for the Focus, there I’m more conflicted about what I want to do.

I want a 2011 Mustang in Sunset Gold. That color was only offered in 2010/2011, and that's right at the oldest I'm wiling to go for a newish vehicle. I’m not willing to buy a new Mustang and they don’t come in a color I really want right now anyway. It’s also a fairly rare color so I might have to go further afield for one than just metro Seattle. I considered a Synergy Green Camaro (also available 2010/2011), but I strongly dislike the Camaro’s interior and don’t think it’s as good a deal as the Mustang. The Challenger was another choice, but they’re considerably more expensive for what I want, and again, color is a factor to me. I want what I want. I can’t get a gold 1975 Firebird Esprit to drive every day – I could, but it’d get ruined if you used it as heavily as I use my daily – but I can get a sunset gold Mustang.

But as much as I want the Mustang, if I do that, we’ll be left with three large rear-drive cars, none of which is the most pragmatic choice (my partner drives a Grand Marquis which, after seven years of ownership only has 44K on the dial, isn't going anywhere). It does sometimes snow in Seattle. We do sometimes need to transport things. I also need to have room for a four-foot ladder in my car on many days, for photo work. This ruled out the Fiat 500, another car I like a lot but which doesn’t fit my lifestyle.

The Fiat 500L is a dog and I’m not interested. The Mini Clubman is a possibility, however. Other alternatives include a new Mazda3 hatch, a car I like very much, or the Kia Optima Hybrid – a car who’s styling I’ve always liked but which is rather dull to drive. I also like the Kia Soul, except that looks much nicer than it feels or drives. All these excel at gas mileage, which is a factor since I use my Focus to commute in heavy traffic every day.

But I feel like I’m not really a “sedan” kind of person, and that I want to not compromise in the name of practicality yet again. The older I get, the less willing I am to postpone the things I want.

The Mustang doesn’t do to well as far as MPG goes, unless you get the V6. And Yes, I am open to a V6 depending on the deal since the color is so hard to find. This will probably sound like blasphemy but I’ve never really cared about speed as much as style, and that’s probably obvious from my choices over the years. I do care about basic driving dynamics, but not about ¼ mile times or horsepower, really.

With the Mustang about to be replaced and used car values dropping, that also means deals abound. I know I'll never get another car where I can do all the repairs on my own, but the Mustang doesn't seem too too bad in terms of electronics overkill (in sharp contrast to the Fusion I had as a rental a couple of months ago) or byzantine complexity (both strikes against the Kia).

People may wonder why I don't want something newer or more modern, but honestly if I could keep driving the cars I've always liked, which honestly don't really include many modern cars, forever, I would. But I can't run a 40 year old car every day anymore, only a facsimile.

Anybody know the 2010+ Mustangs very well?
    Last edited by Taimar; May 10th, 2014 at 06:32 PM.

Junior Potato
    That green thing from Alaska is pretty rad.

Quote Originally Posted by Taimar View Post
    Anybody know the 2010+ Mustangs very well?
    I've autocrossed a few with the Coyote V8, and found them very impressive. I prefer a BOSS 302's driving experience to that of a C6 Z06, even in that twisty-turny environment, believe it or not. But this hardly seems relevant to your wants.

I must admit I don't "get" your taste in cars so I don't know how much help I could be. Of the cars you listed I would think the Mazda 3 would be the most useful and the most different from the cars in your fleet. Again the driving dynamics come into play for me though - this generation was quite poor to drive I thought. A far cry from the original. I was shocked.

I also rented a MINI Clubman in January. It was okay. The chassis has potential. It was hampered by weird throttle/transmission calibration (you know 'cause everything is computer controlled now - there's less of a direct connection in a lot of cars these days, even slushbox cars are feeling worse or more distant. One has to learn the new language of the car, translate their inputs differently to get the result you want. Like a bad videogame).

Lostnight aka Randy Bruns on Facebook has a Mustang that is around that vintage. He should be able to give you an idea.

I don't know anything about the cars you're after, but it's awesome to hear from you Tai :-) thanks for the update.

Quote Originally Posted by CudaMan View Post
    I've autocrossed a few with the Coyote V8, and found them very impressive. I prefer a BOSS 302's driving experience to that of a C6 Z06, even in that twisty-turny environment, believe it or not. But this hardly seems relevant to your wants.
    Ha! That's still a pretty big endorsement of the basic car, even if I'm unlikely to buy one of the faster variants.

I must admit I don't "get" your taste in cars so I don't know how much help I could be.
    Don't feel too bad about it, I've always been fairly eclectic and tend to prefer the esoteric - hence having owned combinations like "Crown Victoria and Fiat 128." My tastes have always been extremely varied.

Of the cars you listed I would think the Mazda 3 would be the most useful and the most different from the cars in your fleet. Again the driving dynamics come into play for me though - this generation was quite poor to drive I thought. A far cry from the original. I was shocked.
    Yeah, the second gen car - 2010-2013 - isn't on my list. The first gen is nicer, and so is the current one - the 2014. It's the 2014 I'm thinking of. In a similar vein the Suzuki Kizashi would have been high on my list too had the company not bailed. I look at that car as sort of a Peugeot 405 (another old favorite) type of machine. I guess it's similar in more ways than one, actually.

I also rented a MINI Clubman in January. It was okay. The chassis has potential. It was hampered by weird throttle/transmission calibration (you know 'cause everything is computer controlled now - there's less of a direct connection in a lot of cars these days, even slushbox cars are feeling worse or more distant. One has to learn the new language of the car, translate their inputs differently to get the result you want. Like a bad videogame).
    We were in a friend's Mini Countryman Automatic last week and that didn't seem very pleasant at all, shift-wise. I'm strictly interested in manual cars for my modern, even if they are harder to come by and resell. The Clubman appeals to me because it's a size I can live with, a configuration I like, and seems like a well-made car that doesn't cost the earth for what it is. Also there's a dealer within walking distance.

You are of course absolutely right about the less direct connection between driver and road in many moderns. This has been a turnoff for me for a long time, which is in part why I bought the things I bought as moderns - a Crown Victoria (really a 1970s design with a 90s update) and a Focus (really a 1990s design that hung on far too long). There's really no way for me to avoid coming to terms with this now other than continuing to only drive older cars, which isn't practical. The remote-feel experience was fun in a Citroen SM or CX - because those cars had dynamics that felt other-worldly and had the style and personality to make it worth it. Modern cars just feel heavy and leaden (though very fast) to me most of the time, and filled with stuff I don't particularly want (I'll take a good old rocker switch over a touchscreen any day).

If you want 4WD and a hatch from 2010 onward, you know what to do. Good to see you again anyway!

Ha! That's still a pretty big endorsement of the basic car, even if I'm unlikely to buy one of the faster variants.
    If you can get some kind of handling pack and LSD with the V6, I think it'd be a lot of fun too. When did Ford put the new V6 into play?

The Coyote cars were surprisingly neutral and agile. If solid axles are wrong, I don't want to be right.

You are of course absolutely right about the less direct connection between driver and road in many moderns. This has been a turnoff for me for a long time, which is in part why I bought the things I bought as moderns - a Crown Victoria (really a 1970s design with a 90s update) and a Focus (really a 1990s design that hung on far too long). There's really no way for me to avoid coming to terms with this now other than continuing to only drive older cars, which isn't practical.
    Insisting on a manual should definitely help you feel more connected even in a modern car. A lot of it with newer MT vehicles comes down to throttle calibration and response. It can be awful or just great. The S2000 is a good example of throttle by wire done right. You have to be extremely sensitive and clever to tell a difference between the throttle cable car and the DBW car (traction control button aside). Plenty of other cars seem to make it extra difficult to drive because it isn't a linear direct response to your right foot. Engine speed "hanging" between gears is also a bit of a pain. But not to get too far off topic... it's worth test driving whatever new stuff you're looking at, for sure.

Personally I find a happy place in mid 90s to early 2000s cars. Modern enough to be refined and reliable, old enough they still offer feel and direct feedback/response. Most of the time.

I quite enjoyed my little roadtrip across the South in the 370Z Sport a couple years ago, too, although that probably isn't remotely under consideration for you. Just mentioning it was a good drive (and I'm not just saying that).

We were in a friend's Mini Countryman Automatic last week and that didn't seem very pleasant at all, shift-wise. I'm strictly interested in manual cars for my modern, even if they are harder to come by and resell. The Clubman appeals to me because it's a size I can live with, a configuration I like, and seems like a well-made car that doesn't cost the earth for what it is. Also there's a dealer within walking distance.
    With the Minis, year is important. I think -09 and 10+ are different cars mechanically and the newer ones are better enough to be desirable. Also, tiny little motor and automatic transmission is pretty much never a win. I very much enjoyed test driving a Clubman S with a manual - clearly not a sports car, but an excellent commuter mobile. I did not have any love for the non-S - if wheezy motor is on the table, I'd buy a Transit Connect instead.

Still, until you go way back in time Minis carry a pretty high price premium for what they are, and unless quite small is *the* selling point, I think you can get more car for similar or less money... especially in the 3/Focus category. On that note, have you considered a Fiesta? The base model is a nice car (with a manual - notsomuch the DSG) and of course the ST is downright affordable. It is too bad the 500L is so hideous looking, as the 500 mechanicals and experience are pretty darned decent - similar concept but different in execution to the Mini (ie, they made a small, underpowered car fun, just in a different way )

My sister bought a Soul with a 6-speed, and while it does indeed look nice on paper and is fine to sit in, it's a totally meh driving experience. As with all Kia/Hyundais, everything is just slightly off - brakes, handling, throttle response. They are clearly cars designed to favor features over experience, and equipped with an automatic and plopped into west coast traffic, they excel. As a driving machine, they are not what you'd call ultimate.

It sounds like you're sold on pretty darned new for the commutermobile, but have you considered a slightly older, slightly higher end wagon? Audi, BMW, Volvo? Hell, Saab? You have three great Saab shops there, pimpin' a 9-3SC would be easy and they are lovely with a 6-speed and available with AWD.

As for the Olds 455, my sole knowledge of them comes from the recent RV hunt, where I learned that they are exceptionally durable but increasingly hard to fix due to parts availability issues. Unlike the other big blocks which stayed in production a while and/or found cult followings (eg the Cadillac 472/500), the Olds 455 had a short lifespan and never found an alternative niche. People keeping old RVs alive are parting out cars to make that happen, and in *any other situation* it's the opposite - people part out RVs to get understressed, underutilitized 454s for their cars. I don't think this affects you - buying a running car and keeping it together for limited usage ain't too bad (I'm keeping a Cadillac 429 alive!) - but I thought I'd mention it anyway. Obviously the TH400 is not an issue - the one in the Fleetwood is still superb, and it has a filthy old bellhousing.