Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Return of the S2000?

Return of the S2000?

http://www.automobilemag.com/feature...eturn-in-2017/

At around $60k? Guess I won't be able to afford that... unless I get some huge pay raises by 2017...

They really should just try to keep it simple and affordable.

We All Live in a Yellow BRZ The359's Avatar
    I have a feeling this is going to be just like the CRZ. Everyone has high hopes that it will be a spiritual successor, but then it turns into a weak hybrid in a weak sports car.
    Nulla Tenaci Invia Est Via

I can't even imagine a $60,000 car in a Honda showroom.

359, sure hope not. But on paper, to me, it's already NOT a spiritual successor given it's price tag. Yeah, I totally agree with TSG that anyone would even want a $60k Honda.

Anyway, I think I bought my 02 S2000 at Honda's peak. Best engineering at a value pricing. Things have been going down hill ever since for Honda... I do hope they turn things around someday... guess will have to wait and see how the production NSX turned out. That's should be a good indicator.

I like that looks of the S660, but based on the performance #s, it doesn't look like it'll be able to out-perform the current S2000 though. Unless they super-charge it and get it to pump out nearly 200hp...

It'd be difficult for them to come up with something better and cheaper... if they can't beat the old S2000 on track with a price tag <$40k, they probably shouldn't even bother with it... A $60k Honda probably won't be in the show room for very long... or they won't sell too many of them...
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; May 13th, 2014 at 11:41 AM.

S name should be FR, and not MR.

At least if they want to follow history with the S500, S800, S2000....

It does seem closer in relation to the Beat, but I imagine it has more to do with the fact that it's similar in size to the old school S-series.

Engine placement doesn't really matter to me. All I want is a speedy, fun to drive sports car that I can afford. IMHO that'd be staying true to its original design spirit.

Even with that S660, I'm not sure it'd really be a better sports car than the Miata. Certainly not with only 67HP!

With medium new car purchase prices being at around $30k, why couldn't they design a decent sports car at around $30k?

Maybe it's because BRZ/FRS? Demand for those cars are decent but didn't quite sold as hotcakes? Maybe market just doesn't support such an affordable sports car so Honda is aiming at a wealthier market? Still, why would a rich guy want to buy a $60k Honda?

I've never understood why Honda hasn't built a midengine sports car by taking the drivetrain from the Civic Si and putting it in the back, like the MR2. Seems simple enough and I have to think there's more of a market for a $25k-35k sports car than a $60k one.