Page 51 of 58 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 ... LastLast

Thread: LEGO

It's still also a pillar. Should help prevent some wobblies.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...ng-skills.html

Using instructions to build toys harms youngsters' problem solving skills
    I was actually trying to find out how quickly young children can follow the instructions. Almost 4 hours sounded rather slow for such a simple-looking model, but sounds a little better if I say about a minute per brick. The instructions seemed sort of suited to younger children because they had very few steps per page, but that means more pages to flip through. Having so few bricks per page discourages you from "batching" the brick-sorting and assembly stages, which alternative methods might save time. Four hours sounds like a lot of attention span for a young child, but, on the other hand, they do have long periods of time with nothing in particular to do.
    Last edited by SportWagon; January 3rd, 2018 at 10:37 AM.

My 5 yr old daughter can build rather complex legos with minimal supervision now. Usually only ask me to help her take some small pieces apart... I am quite impressed by her ability to follow instructions, but I do agree, these toys do nothing much to help with creativity. After the kit is assembled, she will only 'play' with it and never take them apart to build anything else. Only when cats destroys it, then she'll reassemble...

Anyway, took her to Lego Land for the 1st time over the break, she loved it. My wife and I didn't think that much of it though..., but we were impressed by the lego displays over there. This one was particularly impressive to me:

I think I read somewhere that a real Lego scale Death Star would be a kilometer in diameter. But actually that's low.

Stated size is between 140 and 160 kilometers. Divided by 38 is about 4 kilometers. And supposedly the second Death Star is even larger.

A Google search for "mexican wall lego" finds some interesting results. Although apparently the alleged Lego ads were just fake satires.

I am going to need to see if I can find a brick separator.

Our childhood Lego set compendium supplemented our Playcraft train set, and a couple of Matchbox play map/city things, by providing the buildings. A funny thing was that in some cases we would disassemble and reassemble the same buildings every few days over a period of weeks. Mostly just by memory. And my brother and I could both be building things and keep track of the odd inventory of available remaining parts just by memory. We very rarely lost any bricks.

Oh we also had a bridge-and-girder turnpike kit for the final exit from Matchboxville.

(Officially just a "Bridge and Turnpike" kit, related to the girder and panel building kits which we personally did not have. The Turnpike kits provided roadways almost big enough for Matchbox, instead of building wall panels; also bridge braces).

http://girderandpanel.onlinewebshop....near.mint.html
    Last edited by SportWagon; January 8th, 2018 at 02:43 PM.

I bought two of the Red Classic Starter Pack https://shop.lego.com/en-AU/Red-Creativity-Box-10707

I debated buying it and a different coloured one, but I'm glad I bought two of the same because getting more similar pieces seems more useful.

I ad-hoc designed an 8-wheel truck using both sets. It features lots of bad lego-ing. And the cab is, at yet, a little draughty.

Those wheels won't work all that well for modelling real-life vehicles because their overall width is between four and six bricks, and so they won't tend to be flush with the sides of any vehicle.

I also bought the ATM robbery City Set. https://shop.lego.com/en-CA/Police-Starter-Set-60136
    Partly because it will give Suzanne a nice choice of different pants to wear. But I haven't actually done anything with that set yet.

I saw a very small alligator set. But didn't have time to buy it. Alligators could be dangerous, but I think they could be appeased with pizza. Probably this one https://shop.lego.com/en-CA/Jungle-Starter-Set-60157 The set seemed like it was almost only figures, but it was just the alligator that appealed to me anyway.
    Last edited by SportWagon; January 18th, 2018 at 01:23 PM.

Got to a LEGO outlet store last weekend and made an impulse purchase...

I also purchased a brick separator. I was surprised how well it worked after I needed to separate two 1x4 third height strips I'd mistakenly joined together on all four knobs. That funny plastic child-proof non-point somehow transfers the right amount of pressure to the right place.

Like the reviewers whose reviews I read after making the purchase, I was somewhat disappointed by the Arc de Triomphe model. It is severely lacking in detail. In real-life the four LEGO statuettes are relief battle scenes, each different, I think. And it was smaller than I somehow imagined it would be.

(Board question; in my truck post. why did my attachment id 2815 disappear and need to be replaced with 2814?)
    Last edited by SportWagon; January 18th, 2018 at 01:28 PM.

Junior Potato
    I’ve got about 1525673 brick separators. I could’ve sent you one for free.

Probably cost someone more in postage than the (admittedly mildly exhorbitant) price I paid. $4CDN.

Are they all orange? Hmm. A lot are. There seems to be a larger one, in silver-grey.

Or both come in turquoise, too?

So some kits come with them, I take it?

Junior Potato
    “Some” is an apt description. 429 as of this post. Almost all of the larger sets aside from Technic.

Here’s a comprehensive list:

https://www.bricklink.com/catalogIte...p?P=96874&in=S

If a brick separator has a volume of 1cc, then 1525673 have a volume of 1525673cc or 1.5 cubic meters.

Actual space requirements would easily scale by the actual volume required for a brick separator (packing density would be involved), but that volume is surely on the order-of-magnitude of 1cc.

So it would be feasible for an individual to own and store 1525673 brick separators.

Someone should construct a 10cmx10cmx10cm box and see how many brick separators they can get into it.

Female Masturbatory Aid
    Pretty sure I've got 2 dozen of them. I have one sitting on the monitor base that I use to open mail.