Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hardware.

Hardware.

FWIW, Dell 24" U2412M Ultrasharp LCD 16:10 monitor is going for $266 on Amazon, about $10 cheaper than when I bought mine last summer.
    http://www.amazon.com/Dell-UltraShar.../dp/B005JN9310
    Whoomah!

#$10saving #dealofthecenturybro

Amazon's selling it for $100 off the Dell MSRP, for what that's worth.
    Whoomah!

$10 depreciation in a year means you got a damned good deal.

I'm looking forward to the proper 5th and 6th gen refreshes, since at the moment there's absolutely no reason for me to upgrade from my OCed 2600K. That, I suppose, is a good thing.

Female Masturbatory Aid
    Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    FWIW, Dell 24" U2412M Ultrasharp LCD 16:10 monitor is going for $266 on Amazon, about $10 cheaper than when I bought mine last summer.
    http://www.amazon.com/Dell-UltraShar.../dp/B005JN9310
    Quoting, literally. I bought mine (from Newegg) 5/11/2013 for $276.

Funny.

Man, you guys got SO RIPPED. Sucks to be you

Quote Originally Posted by Yw-slayer View Post
    I'm looking forward to the proper 5th and 6th gen refreshes, since at the moment there's absolutely no reason for me to upgrade from my OCed 2600K. That, I suppose, is a good thing.
    Yeah, there was no actual reason for me to even move away from my i5-2400. Even that CPU was overkill for mos of what I do at home - the GPU is doing the lion's share of the work. But, everything is now socket 1150 and "current," so I can go back to utterly ignoring this stuff for a couple years.

As for monitors, at this rate, it's highly unlikely I will ever replace my two Dell SP2309Ws. Seems the only way to get >HD monitors these days is to get really big ones, and I don't need (or want) a 27" display. I could go for 24", but 23" is doing just fine. All a 27" display would get me is eye and neck strain.

I had a shuffle-tastic weekend!

I got my cheap i5-4670k on Wednesday, then scooted over to Fry's and bought an MSI MPower Z87 motherboard -

What I didn't realize when I went down this road is that new/good motherboards have a 2x 8-pin power header in addition to the standard ATX power header, and my PC Power & Cooler 750w PSU could not accommodate it. I had an XFX 750 Pro sitting in the closet which had the right connectors, so I swapped them. I really liked the Silencer PSU, but the XFX is almost as quiet, so whatever. The upside is that the XFX is fully modular, so there are fewer wires crammed into the case. Installation was predictably painless, and Windows powered up like nothing ever happened. The i5-4670k at stock clock speeds feels (and tests) faster than the i7-2600 at stock clock speeds, and now I've got the "k" in case I decide to get into some overclocking down the road. I'm on air cooling (albeit a gigantic Scythe HSF), but this setup should still be good for a significant boost of extra speed.

I grabbed 16gb of Kingston HyperX memory out of the closet, threw it on my outgoing MSI Z77 board with the i7 and took it to my parents, where I swapped out it out for my dad's i3-2120 that I gave him last father's day. Seems like parental upgrades are about a yearly thing, and while I was fidgeting with his case, he remarked that he hasn't bought a computer upgrade since 1991, when I replaced the 286 in his Dell System 200 with an AMD 386DX-40. Every year or two for 21 years I have upgraded his computer with one exception - in/around 2008 I had a Socket 775 motherboard but no processor, and he bought an E6550 from Fry's. I find this crazy - that's a LOT of upgrades! The thing that started it all - the 386DX-40 upgrade - was totally self-serving. I couldn't afford a complete computer at 16, and I wanted to play Wing Commander. HA!

So now I have his i3-2120, and I just ordered one of these:

to house it. Next up is replacing the parents' HTPC, which I think I built in 2010. It's running my old E8400 and as far as I'm concerned, it's performed its duty. The real motivator, though, is the case it's built in is a stupid size and doesn't fit in their entertainment center very well. Plus, it's never been as quiet as I'd like. And, it's silver and everything else is black. IT'S ALL FAIL! Truthfully, the reason they even have it is because I built it up for me and hated it so much I had to get it out of the house. I should have sent it back the day I received it, but I thought I'd grow to like it. I didn't. They've gotten GREAT use out of it, though, so it turned out for the best.

The Silverstone GD04 is the shallowest case I've been able to find (323mm deep, vs 360mm of the current case), so hopefully it works. The GD04 supposedly has very quiet fans, the i3 uses low power (and needs less cooling), and it has built-in video (HD2000, heh). Fewer, quieter fans should be an improvement. The only worry I've got - which just occurred to me - is a PSU for it. I've got a Silverstone 600w unit, but it's not modular and has a mess of cables. Hopefully it fits okay. We'll see in a couple days. Hey, it can't be worse.

That will get rid of all non-Core processors and all DDR2 memory, which crazily enough will make me feel good. I've got a spare hard drive kicking around, so I'll get the old HTPC back to functional and offload it. Hopefully someone can make use of a stupid size, stupid shape, HTPC.
    Last edited by thesameguy; May 19th, 2014 at 10:22 AM.

The PSU location for that box looks bad for a fanless unit--yes/no?
    Whoomah!