Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Godson - 2001 GMC Yukon Denali

Shit, I don't think my father ever broke 15 mpg when he was driving full size pickups in Chicago.

Yeah, but this is one of those cute little 5300s.

He had 2 I-6 F-150s followed by a Vortec 4300 Silverado (whose 4L60 shit out below 50k). It's really just a Chicago traffic thing.

Trucks (and by extension, SUVs) have woeful fuel economy. I would seriously hypermile my brothers Navigator (5.4 liter, 300hp) to and from work and eke out 17mpg over several days.

Then I looked at its official fuel economy (13/ 18) and told myself 17 wasn't so bad. I reset its fuel economy after every stop, and watching the economy (5.9 mpg) while accelerating gently away from the gas station was very humbling. That's one vehicle that definitely benefits from not having to stop. I once left a ski resort and reset the fuel economy gauge and for several miles it read 99.99 (coasting downhill all the way) then drove 100 freeway miles home to a final 18.4. That shocked me, as, at about 30 miles when I stopped at my cousins in San Bernadino, I was still in the 30s. That was eye opening. I stopped thinking about a Grand Cherokee right then.

Only thing is, my car (95 E320, 3.2 liter. 18/ 24) I can consistently get 24- 25mpg with a little attention. With an antiquated (non lockup) 4 speed transmission. Mass and aero really play a huge role.

Quote Originally Posted by thesameguy View Post
    Can't decide whether to congratulate you on 16mpg, or wonder how you can tolerate that.

Yeah. double edge sword. City is supposed to be 12mpg. And most of that was 35-40mph.

Quote Originally Posted by thesameguy View Post
    Yeah, but this is one of those cute little 5300s.
    This is the 6.0. The Denali's only came with the 6.0 along with the AWD and the 4l60E HD. Regular GMC SLE Yukon had the 4.8 standard, could not get AWD or the 4l60E HD.

I scored a set of LT265/70R17 Michelin LTX A/T2 load range E tires for cost of mounting and balancing. Tires have 14/32nds tread depth on them. The truck they came off is going to the scrapper at a buddies work. I needed tires and the size was right. Yes they weigh 9lbs more than the tires they replaced which will hurt fuel mileage, but a free set of 900 USD tires that still have ~80% of tread. I couldn't be luckier. Installed at 212,987 miles.

In other news, I parked the truck at a buddies house and saw something hanging down on the back. Crawled under the back end as it looked like a stick had gotten caught under it. Not a stick, the rear tubular sway bar BROKE. The endlink didn't fail, the bar did. GMPartsDirect has a new one for $145. Needless to say that's on the list.
    Last edited by Godson; June 14th, 2014 at 08:59 PM.

Those tires are a steal. That gift horse has nice teeth.

Yeah. I take care of that horse.

I noticed a puddle underneath the beast today.

Did the sniff and taste test fearing it was dex-cool, suspicions confirmed. I crawled under and started glancing around. Seems I have a leaking water pump. I can get a cheap ass one for 60, or I can get one from gmpartsdirect that has been redesigned for 148, that will also need a new thermostat housing at $30. Costing me around ~$230 after shipping and coolant is factored.

Fuck.

Edit: Any thoughts/opinions on just replacing the gasket? I ask because that is where the failure seems to be.
    Last edited by Godson; June 29th, 2014 at 03:34 PM. Reason: Secondary thought.

If you're taking it apart to replace the gasket, you might as well replace the pump, particularly if it's a known-bad design.
    Whoomah!

Yeah, I know. Money is just super tight until I get my first paycheck, which I don't start work until next monday. I likely won't get paid until middle of July...