Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Super Mario Run: Nintendo's first real mobile game

Super Mario Run: Nintendo's first real mobile game

I don't know if this should go here or the Tech forum, but I don't think it matters that much: Nintendo has announced their first actual game for a mobile OS. Introducing Super Mario Run, coming soon to iOS and in the future to Android. No price announced that I've seen, but it will be a flat price with no microtransactions.

http://kotaku.com/official-new-mario...ios-1786329332
    https://www.engadget.com/2016/09/07/...to-the-iphone/

Super Mario Run stars Mario as he leaps across familiar brick-lined landscapes and platforming levels. It's an endless runner, meaning Mario is constantly on the move. Tap to make Mario jump; the longer you hold your finger down, the higher he flies. Players are able to change Mario's direction and control his movements with the timing of their taps as well. The goal is to grab as many coins as possible and reach the flagpole before time runs out.

There's also a battle mode called "Toad Rally" where players attempt to beat other people's high scores. Super Mario Run features a one-handed mode, too.
    Get that weak shit off my track

It'll be interesting to see if this game's assumed success will have an impact on their portable decisions in the future.

Junior Potato
    An endless runner?

For fuck's sake.

At least they're keeping it limited to phones for now.

Administrator
    Total agreement on the for fuck's sake. No evidence that this will be any better than a shitty movie tie-in game. Sounds to me a lot like capitalizing on the name to grab some cash as quickly as possible before everyone finds out how bad it is.

Maybe next we can get a Flappy Bird version of Duck Hunt.

Junior Potato
    Eh, I'll still buy it.

I played one of those running games... once.

It's not like a normal endless runner, from what I understand (I haven't seen any videos, just a few gifs and screenshots). It seems like someone is just holding down right on a Super Mario level. You're still in control of jump timing and height, and you can go backwards. It's not the lane-based gameplay of normal endless runners from what I've seen so far.
    Get that weak shit off my track

Ah, okay.

Junior Potato
    It's December 15. I've been sitting here all evening hitting refresh on the App Store at half-hour-ish intervals and I'm still no closer to playing this game.

What. The. Fuck.

What god damn time is this supposed to be coming out? Any more waiting and I'll quit Apple for ever.

Well... you are in the future, aren't you?

I like how The Grand Tour releases their shows on GMT. So, everyone knows when it will be out.