Page 49 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3947484950 LastLast

Thread: *synth* I WORKOUT

Done my last long run before the big one now. A friend tagged along and unfortunately he can't run fast down hills and ran out of legs at the 25km mark (10 to go), so I had lots of waiting and slowing down for him instead of what was supposed to be a sort of pacing "dress rehearsal" for the big one on the 26th.

Oh well, at the end of it I felt like I had another half marathon in me, so now I'm in taper mode

This is what I'm doing by the way (can't remember if I linked it before) - https://y56k.com.au/event/yurrebilla-56k-ultra-2021/

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    So how does one stay motivated to do exercises one doesn’t actively enjoy?
    I should've answered this before.

Find a half marathon that's about 6 months away, pay the entry fee, figure the rest out as you go, then show up on the day and smash it.

I assume you're running the 56k. Impressive.

Yep. And now a sick part of me is eyeing off the "Heysen 105" as well ... which is actually 115kms this year.

Quote Originally Posted by G'day Mate View Post
    Yep. And now a sick part of me is eyeing off the "Heysen 105" as well ... which is actually 115kms this year.

You know, I actually met an ultra-marathoner one time. It was a couple months back at the beginning of my summer. I was about 2 miles (3k) from finishing my normal 11 mile daily run on the first really hot day of the year. I was starting to descend a hill on a road with traffic and was running against traffic, but I noticed walking up towards me was a woman with her dog. Since the road was fairly busy--no shoulder nor sidewalk along this part--and she was walking with traffic, I didn't want her and the dog stepping out into traffic to avoid me. I stepped off a couple feet into a front yard and stopped.... waiting for them to walk past. The following is a transcript of what I can recall from the experience....

[I'll just step off here and wait for that lady and her dog to walk past. Be friendly and wave. OMG, why is she stopping and talking to me?]

HI! I see you running all the TIME!! Are you famous?

[LOL]

Heh, no. I don't post or anything.

But you do run all the time, right? I've seen and point you out when I drove my kids to school in the mornings and some days it's pretty dark or cold or...

[I guess I have been running pretty consistently all through the past fall, winter and spring. I've definitely noticed that there are cars that I regularly see, and even police officers I normally see and wave to now wave back to me on my route... It makes sense that some people might start to notice me or even look for me on their daily morning routine. I probably do stand out when I went for runs in classic New England winter morning weather.... OMG, she's still talking...]

So then how far do you go?

Eleven miles. Every day.

And... why do you do it?

[don't sound like Forrest Gump... don't sound like Forrest Gump... don't sound like Forrest Gump... ]

I just like running...

[Dammit!]

Well that is INTERESTING! I'm a runner too. My name is
    [I immediately forget the name she says] and actually I've run a marathon in each of the 7 continents and after that I've started running 50 mile ultra marathons...

[That's intense! This lady is intense.]

That's impressive. I don't think I could ever do an ultra, but I have enjoyed running a marathon from time to time.

Marathons are GREAT but I really have taken to ULTRAs. The last one I ran I was still breastfeeding my youngest of 4 children and my husband brought him to each of the checkpoints and I breastfed there...

[WTF! TMI! This lady I just met is now talking about breastfeeding?! Don't look at her chest don't look at her chest don't look at her chest OMG she's still talking...]

... and this is my dog "Fenway" who is a good dog...

[Looking at this dog it's just standing there.... looking not really at me... but THROUGH me with like a thousand yard stare.... with a little bulb of saliva hanging off of an agape mouth in the heat of the day. Such classic New England dog name... "Fenway"... but it must be a designer-dog. Looks like a cross between a poodle and a collie? I haven't heard of that breed... what would it be called... a "pollie"? a "coodle"? OMG she's still talking...]

...I didn't run much in the winter--like you--just stayed inside on my Peloton. Nowadays, on my weekend runs I might run a marathon up and back into [a town north of here] and stop at the Whole Foods there to eat a sandwich.

Well my runs are south of here, I'm just heading home now.

Well I better let you go then.

My name is [I told her my name] and you said you're name was...

[I made a guess at her name and was wrong.]

No, my name is...

[I immediately forgot it again.]

Well good luck with your Ultras and it was nice meeting you!

[I start running again. What the hell?! Are all Ultra marathoners like that intense?! Is G'day that intense?!]
    Last edited by JSGeneral; September 9th, 2021 at 10:03 AM.

Hell no, and I'm not a runner. Most distance runners are way too enthusiastic about running, which is why she stopped to talk I guess.

That was a great story!!!! Women are crazy. I never could understand the joy of running an ultra marathons, but that's just me. After I qualify for Boston, I hope to never run a marathon again.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashie View Post
    That was a great story!!!! Women are crazy. I never could understand the joy of running an ultra marathons, but that's just me. After I qualify for Boston, I hope to never run a marathon again.
    Well someday I hope to qualify for Boston again, but Sunday wasn't it. 3:24 was my time and I'm actually very happy with that result. Factoring in that it had been over 2 years since I last ran a marathon, all the world chaos that went on during that time, all the personal chaos that happened a little over a year ago (episode with pulmonary embolisms), I'm two years older and advancing deep into my 40's now, I ran basically 11 miles each day for over a year, and I had a bum knee that acted up and reduced all training for over a month before the race to just no more than 6 miles tops...

I'll take that time. It's almost 4 minutes faster than when I ran it two years ago. It's still pretty far from reaching a Boston Qualifying time... I think my age group is like 3:20... but you are likely to have to go faster than 3:12 just to make it through the selection. I don't think I have those kind of times left in me, but it's ok... I'll keep on trying from time to time and train just to keep myself in shape. And results like these are something I'm still proud of... BQ or not.

I'm trying to get back on the Ring Fit Adventure horse, doing it every other day, in addition to doing a mile loop of my neighborhood once or twice a day.
    Get that weak shit off my track

That certainly is a time to be proud of. Great job out there.