Page 47 of 56 FirstFirst ... 374546474849 ... LastLast

Thread: *synth* I WORKOUT

Well I did a trails halfie yesterday and now I'm sore, but not too sore. Came 8th out of 20 males, and it seemed like there was a big gap (nearly 20 minutes) between be and the guys in front so my theory is that they were all the good runners and I was best of the rest.

Not too bad, but it was really really tough going at only the 17km mark on a fairly gentle uphill slope, so lots of work to do to build up to 56kms

Did I ever tell you about the time I came third in a 10km foot race around the Laguna Seca race track?

It was a Heart Association charity event, and the organizers had failed to realize there was a real race somewhere else nearby at the same time.

The people serving the free pancakes sure were grumpy...

(Twice down the Corkscrew.... Whee!)

The one time Ash and I got to run a foot race on a race track, she got lost. (Heartland)

Quote Originally Posted by G'day Mate View Post
    Well I did a trails halfie yesterday and now I'm sore, but not too sore. Came 8th out of 20 males, and it seemed like there was a big gap (nearly 20 minutes) between be and the guys in front so my theory is that they were all the good runners and I was best of the rest.

Not too bad, but it was really really tough going at only the 17km mark on a fairly gentle uphill slope, so lots of work to do to build up to 56kms
    How's the training/trail running going G'day? When is the 56K race? Did the bike accident have any detriment to your practice schedule? Have you attempted any new training strategies that you never used before? Are you attempting eating/hydrating practice while you train? Do you use any kind of pack to hold items? What do you think of trail running these days?

I have a similar opinion as Ashie about ultra-races: I totally respect the people that can even attempt this endeavor, but I know that it is something not for me. I can live with that. 42K road races are my limit.

You mentioned that you were convinced into attempting this trail race. Have any details to share? What was the determining factor to put your feet to trail?

And if the race is coming up soon... good luck!

Usefully, one of the branches of my car wash place is near an outdoor sports track. I figure I can get them to wash the car, do a 35-min session, then get back to the car, change, and go home from there.

Quote Originally Posted by JSGeneral View Post
    How's the training/trail running going G'day? When is the 56K race? Did the bike accident have any detriment to your practice schedule? Have you attempted any new training strategies that you never used before? Are you attempting eating/hydrating practice while you train? Do you use any kind of pack to hold items? What do you think of trail running these days?
    Ok. September. Nope. Nope. Yep. Yep. Stupid.

So yeah, anyway, my strategy is kind of the same as before - just run lots. It's winter now though and I have kids to juggle so that makes things harder, but it's going ok. 56kms is VERY daunting though, so I'm going to try 30 this weekend to see how that feels. Longest so far is 22 I think. I'm also going to take in a road marathon in the lead-up because ... why not?

Trail running is way, way better than road running. It's harder, for sure, but it's just much more interesting. My road marathon was done over two laps of a course consisting of straight roads, with one straight part being over 4km in length. That in itself was soul-crushing.

I've got a pack with water bottles and pockets for food, phone, etc. I also carry a space blanket just in case!

The main motivation was that I very nearly entered this event in 2019 because I'd just done the road marathon and I figured it'd be tough but I was fit. I didn't have the shoes or other gear though so I kind of worried myself out of doing. This year though another friend who does similarly idiotic challenges looked keen so I started training in secret until I got busted in a public facebook photo of me in the background of some other group doing a run. I'd entered as "Bill Davids" (which is my name backwards) because I knew my friends were suspicious that I was also training and would check the results, so I kind of wanted to get caught because I thought it was so funny. Since then though this mate - who had never run before - went too hard too early, injured his foot, had to stop for weeks until it got better and now lacks the motivation to do it any more.

I also have another friend doing it, but he'll be in contention for the outright win because he's a freak of fitness. To compare, last weekend I did an 8km run with 200m of climbing at just under 5:30/km, which was probably about as hard as I can push at the moment. On the same day this guy did 24kms with 600m of climbing (so basically three times what I did) at just under 5:00/km. I hate him.

Your aforementioned friends don't see your runs on Strava? You could try to deceive them by give the runs titles like "2km Jog" or something...

They do now, but for a month or so I had it all hidden

Has anyone here ever heard of a "Backyard Ultra"?

Everyone lines up and has one hour to complete a 6.71km (4.17mi) loop.

Sounds easy? Well, every hour you have to do it over and over again until there's noone else left. If you pull out while others are still going, you DNF. Also, if you're the last person left and you don't complete the last lap you also DNF.

Kind of sounds like fun actually I wouldn't enter one with any sort of expectation that I could win, but if I wasn't still going after 24 hours (which is 100 miles, hence the very specific track distance above) I'd be pretty disappointed. Looks like there's one nearby in November as well ...

... naaaaaaaaaah