Page 11 of 57 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: *synth* I WORKOUT

General rule of thumb is the same amount of area of 1lb of fat is equal to 5 lbs muscle.

I don't know how accurate that is, but it is definitely more dense.

5/6 is more like it: muscle is 15-20% denser than fat (they're both mostly water)

As y’all know, I am tall and slim. In the last month or so I have been doing little home workouts. I normally wear medium-sized shirts. I have a couple of button-up shirts I wear often and they fit pretty good... until now. They are now too small around the chest. I am bummed I cannot wear them anymore, but hey, muscles!

Nice. Went up to the 1g-of-protein-per-lb rule over the last three months or so myself, along with a more pragmatic workout routine a personal trainer friend suggested. I sorta have visible abs now! Noticeable improvement in upper body/shoulders/chest too. New to the whole muscle training thing, but hopefully progress continues... Turns out when you go the low-carb route to lose massive amounts of weight, it tends to remove muscle too. I have work to do.

I'm still built like a Tyrannosaurus rex - huge legs but no upper body

Quote Originally Posted by tigeraid View Post
    Nice. Went up to the 1g-of-protein-per-lb rule over the last three months or so myself, along with a more pragmatic workout routine a personal trainer friend suggested. I sorta have visible abs now! Noticeable improvement in upper body/shoulders/chest too. New to the whole muscle training thing, but hopefully progress continues... Turns out when you go the low-carb route to lose massive amounts of weight, it tends to remove muscle too. I have work to do.

Awesome!

I've always found it extremely tough for the 1g protein / 1 lb weight rule. Congrats on sticking with that

And yeah, if you are going to be working out regularly, carbs are important to make sure you can get a good workout in.

Just a tip if you're new to muscle training... make sure you really try to feel the connection to what you're trying to work out. If you're benching and you don't really feel it in your chest, re-evaluate your technique or weight on the bar. You might be compensating for too much weight by recruiting muscles you don't want to work out.

Per the 1g/lb of protein. I'm currently running close to 1.5g/lb.

It isn't terrible. Meal prep is king

Quote Originally Posted by Cam View Post
    "I've been doing little workouts for a month and now I'm too sexy for my shirt."

You people that can make such progress make me sick! Good for you though. Some guys would wear those same shirts anyway these days. Gainz bro.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatScawt View Post
    Awesome!

I've always found it extremely tough for the 1g protein / 1 lb weight rule. Congrats on sticking with that

And yeah, if you are going to be working out regularly, carbs are important to make sure you can get a good workout in.

Just a tip if you're new to muscle training... make sure you really try to feel the connection to what you're trying to work out. If you're benching and you don't really feel it in your chest, re-evaluate your technique or weight on the bar. You might be compensating for too much weight by recruiting muscles you don't want to work out.

I find the 1g per lb rule deceptively easy. I already tracked obsessively with MyFitnessPal for the last two years anyway, so all I did was adjust the macros and kept on going. I find that if you plan out that 200 grams (in my case) over the course of the day, the remaining calories for your day tend to work out to "just the right amount" of carbs and fats that you can't really cheat or go overboard eating bad stuff, without ruining the whole thing. So in a way it keeps you honest.

Maybe, just maaaaybe a hint of abs? It's a start. I read somewhere that guys who lose a bunch of weight tend to show their upper abs first while the bottom still sags, because of the loose skin. Might be a while before any of that lower stuff comes in. But it's a very visible difference in only 4 months of lifting.

Last edited by tigeraid; January 16th, 2018 at 05:36 PM.