Page 13 of 57 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: *synth* I WORKOUT

Well, what can I say, I value my time after work. If I worked out in the morning, that would mean waking up at roughly 5:15 AM. Which means I'd have to somehow get to sleep at like 10 pm.

Quote Originally Posted by G'day Mate View Post
    I'm still built like a Tyrannosaurus rex - huge legs but no upper body
    Weren't you able to do 100 pushups straight?

There isn't a magic exercise regime that works for everyone.

I've likely said it before, but the BEST exercise regime, is one that you enjoy. That means you want to do it, rather than you feel obliged to do it.

If my body would cope with two hours a day of gym classes seven days a week, I'd do it.

Fogey, at 205 you're three lbs lighter than I am.

Are you guys a bunch of quitters?

I'll echo the statement about a workout that works best for you is one you want to do.

Working out in the AM for me would not be possible. I'm up at 5-515 every morning to get breakfast and be to work on time. I'd need to be attending he gym at like 330 at the latest. Fuck that noise.

As Jeff Cavaliere says, 100 pushups don't mean shit. All that matters with a push-up is form. You get more burn out of 10 properly executed pushups, with a hold at the top and a hold at the bottom, than 100 of those stupid military ones.

(/rant)

Quote Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
    I've gone through a transformation myself over the past two and a half years. I was mostly just running, and doing pretty well for my age. Managed to run a 5k in 18:03, and 39:12 10km... but, I didn't like the way I looked, too thin at 165lbs, and 5'10.5. So I went back to doing weights, and I'm at 205 now. There is a bit of extra weight, but there has been some great muscle growth. I'm back to running, as well as 5 days a week of weights, so I hope to slim down to a trim 190lbs or so.

Speaking of... Do you find the lifting has negatively impacted your running/cardio, or vice versa? There seems to be a lot of conflicting opinions in the industry on whether excessive cardio (that is, a 1hr run as opposed to 20 minutes of HIIT) hurts your muscle gains, and if the extra weight of muscle gain hurts your running endurance. I notice when I spent the majority of last winter lifting weights, I could no longer do long running sessions without having to throw 60 seconds of walking in between spurts of running. Then again, I hadn't done my research at the time so I wasn't eating even remotely enough protein to work WITH the weight training, so it wasn't exactly correct anyway. I'm cautiously optimistic that this Spring when I get back to regular running that my stamina will still be there.

Quote Originally Posted by tigeraid View Post
    Speaking of... Do you find the lifting has negatively impacted your running/cardio, or vice versa? There seems to be a lot of conflicting opinions in the industry on whether excessive cardio (that is, a 1hr run as opposed to 20 minutes of HIIT) hurts your muscle gains, and if the extra weight of muscle gain hurts your running endurance. I notice when I spent the majority of last winter lifting weights, I could no longer do long running sessions without having to throw 60 seconds of walking in between spurts of running. Then again, I hadn't done my research at the time so I wasn't eating even remotely enough protein to work WITH the weight training, so it wasn't exactly correct anyway. I'm cautiously optimistic that this Spring when I get back to regular running that my stamina will still be there.
    No, the lifting hasn't negatively impacted my running, or ability to do cardio at all. That being said, I'm quite a bit heavier having built up muscle... the extra weight certainly does make me slower, and takes more endurance. I'm just getting back to running, and my cardio takes a while to build, but I'm easily doing 4-5km, on trails, in the snow.... so, I'm not too bad. We shall see once it warms up, and I regain my cardio, how much slower I am. Running doesn't affect any upper body workouts at this point, though it's hard to do squats the day after a hard run, in the snow. Once the snow clears up, and I'm running fit, it shouldn't be a problem.. With the weights, it doesn't matter how hard I do legs, I'm no longer sore the next day at all.