Page 21 of 56 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: *synth* I WORKOUT

Ran hard again on Wednesday for the Corporate Cup (a thing our workplace is signed up to where you go for a run every other week and try and improve your time). After not running for three weeks I did 7.5 km at 4:10/km

No idea how I can improve on that in a fortnight's time. Drugs maybe?

Train hard the first week. Rest the second? Or would that be cheating?

Ah. But upon reflection I realize 4:10/km is already close to 15km/hr; pretty fast for a casual runner. 7.5km is an odd distance. So you're closing in on half an hour? (31:15?) Where did you "place" in the group?

Could you aim for a small gain, like 2 seconds a kilometer to do an even 31:00? You don't have knee, foot or other issues, do you? As you know, intervals are supposed to be how you gain speed.

And then derive a means of pacing. That's probably most important.
    Last edited by SportWagon; October 17th, 2018 at 09:15 AM.

Started back at the gym Saturday.

I've been 2 days, back and biceps was the last day, dropped weight by 30%> Now I can't lift my elbows above my shoulders.

Ugh.

After rehabbing my shoulder for near 6 months, I went back to the gym a couple months ago, this time with a personal trainer.

She's helped me along, baby steps and strengthening exercises, focusing on balance and mobility first. So I get under the bar again for the first time about a week ago. Starting with 105 lbs. I've done two sessions, four sets of 10... And now that same twinge in my shoulder is back.

It's not ungodly severe pain, the "oh shit I really tore something" feeling, just a general ache in the same spot, so now I'm terrified of doing it all over again. Worse is that the pain never occurs when lifting, only a day or two after. Even though the PT said my form was good. I dunno wtf is going on. Maybe 20 years of being fat and sedentary somehow messed up my scapulae.

I'm gonna try one more session tonight, with only three sets, and see if the pain comes back.

EDIT: on the plus side, the stability exercises have helped a lot, and I now have fairly visible abs AND visible quads for the first time.

Did you do anything to strengthen the shoulder back up?

External shoulder rotation, etc.

105 is quite a bit

Few months ago I did few thousand general back rotations while storing few metal plates.
    After that I found few new muscles and a si-joint.

Quote Originally Posted by Godson View Post
    Did you do anything to strengthen the shoulder back up?

External shoulder rotation, etc.

105 is quite a bit

Lots of rotator cuff strengthening, lat pulldowns (going slowly on the up), incline Y-Raise with light weights, and a bunch of band exercises they suggested. I know I've improved, that's for sure, because my Y-Raise was a disaster with 5 lb dumbells to start, and now I can do 8 lbs for 10 reps fairly smoothly. And my form with those exercises improved. She felt I had shown enough improvement through all of those movements to go back on the bench press.

I tried again last night with 5 lbs less, and only three sets. No pain so far today, so maybe I was just overdoing it.

Just hard to be a 200 lb guy benching 100 lbs while the skinny little high school kid next to be is doing like 150. My ego is struggling more than my shoulder.
    Last edited by tigeraid; October 20th, 2018 at 10:06 AM.

My bench has always been my weakest of the big lifts.

I know the feelings about feeling feable.

I'm currently down to squatting 20lbs. That's it.

Bench press has dropped to 65 pounds.

Most of this is due to my restriction from may until this past week. Just stay the course and remember if people are judging you, it's because they are shallow and don't know what it's like to have to battle.

I don't think anyone's judging me. But I'm judging myself.

I just really want to build my upper body in particular, because my pecs still look flabby from the weight loss, so this particular lack of improvement is frustrating. My legs and core have improved quite a bit, measurably.