Page 26 of 57 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Thread: *synth* I WORKOUT

Spent the weekend at the racetrack with Nathan and was able to run the track myself for a workout. Fun way to see the track. 20190526_065817.jpg

Which racetrack? I ran a couple of laps of Laguna Seca, plus some extra twiddling around the parking area in about 1985 for a total of 10km.

(Descending the Corkscrew, it seemed really steep).

Sorry, the year I really meant was 1995, and since USENIX LISA was in Monterey in 1995, that pretty much confirms it. Sep 24, 1995, IIRC -- Possibly Saturday the 23rd, but that seems unlikely..
    Last edited by SportWagon; May 28th, 2019 at 03:14 PM.

It was Carolina Speed Way in Kershaw South Carolina.

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    I'm doing good on my plan so far....not losing weight THAT fast since I'm doing weight training, but everything is fitting better and I'm going to need to do clothes shopping soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Ashie View Post
    It was Carolina Speed Way in Kershaw South Carolina.
    Carolina Motorsports Park in Kershaw, SC I presume. A nice road course with lots of configurations, and go-karts too. Apparently an old WWII air force base.

Not Carolina Speedway in Gastonia NC (a World of Outlaws type dirt track).

What's the concrete circle near the go-karts? It almost looks like a tether track.
    Last edited by SportWagon; May 29th, 2019 at 12:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MR2 Fan View Post
    I'm doing good on my plan so far....not losing weight THAT fast since I'm doing weight training, but everything is fitting better and I'm going to need to do clothes shopping soon!
    That is always the best feeling when you start buying clothes that are smaller.

Quote Originally Posted by SportWagon View Post
    Carolina Motorsports Park in Kershaw, SC I presume. A nice road course with lots of configurations, and go-karts too. Apparently an old WWII air force base.

Not Carolina Speedway in Gastonia NC (a World of Outlaws type dirt track).

What's the concrete circle near the go-karts? It almost looks like a tether track.
    I believe it's just a skid pad, but Nathan would know for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by speedpimp View Post
    That is always the best feeling when you start buying clothes that are smaller.
    Yup, love it when that happens.

So do I and everybody else.

I need to get back in to some kind of exercise and strength building routine. GTA got me in great shape from being a couch potato (albeit barely overweight). It was incredibly hard for a while to accept what felt like torture as a regular part of my life. Literally one of the hardest things I've done. I found that after some months of intense regular training (being pushed by an expert trainer - who last year was Stoffel Vandoorne's personal trainer at F1 races) I reached a point where it no longer felt quite so torturous. It was still high effort but it was tolerable effort. My body no longer protested quite so much. Eventually, after a couple years, I came to actually get some small level of enjoyment out of outdoor running. I never did get runner's high, but that's a different story (probably related to generally low neurotransmitter levels).

Long story less long, I maintained good fitness through 2017 until I pushed too hard during a running challenge, increasing my mileage more than I should have. Something totally weird happened to my left ankle, some kind of repetitive stress injury. Since then I've been taking it really easy to try to let it heal, but it only ever gets to the point where, if I do no exercise for months, it is okay to walk normally on but any running/jumping kills it. There was a time even push-ups would aggravate it for days after. Go figure. So my fitness level has gone way down again. I still haven't figured out what it is, it's the most mysterious thing. I got a line on a really good PT through a friend and I'll see if he can do anything for it.

Basically I'm itching to get back in better shape again. My theory is that for the first month or two it'd be best to focus on strength training so that I can strengthen the joints, ligaments, etc to get prepared again for exercises with impact or landings. Right now they feel weak.

And while I enjoy running, I want to learn more about how I can preserve my knees for the future. One of my goals with exercise going forward is to still be active in my twilight years. Blowing out my knees would be counterproductive. I've thought about cycling, but two things: 1) it's more dangerous, and 2) anecdotally, I see that regular runners are always lean. Regular cyclists are not always lean. I know a few who ride tons and are overweight. Seems to me running is much more effective with that aspect of fitness. It also seems more time efficient.