Page 27 of 37 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: *synth* I WORKOUT

Quote Originally Posted by Yw-slayer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SportWagon View Post
    Was YW really doing stand-up paddling, or was that the closest fit in strava to dragon-boat racing?
    Yes, it was the closest fit. I just renamed the profile in my watch.
    A closer fit than "Canoe", "Kayak", or "Row"?

I find it interesting they don't using the gerunds, at least not in my current version.
    (Actually, I should check in the specific case of "Stand-Up Paddl...")

Cuda, maybe try some weights work, and then doing spin/ride classes. Good cardio, ultra low impact. Also, somebody yelling at you so you don't just cruise it Have a chat with the instructor pre-class, to see if there are things to do or not do in that class if you've got a difficult ankle situation.

Agreed. As much as I enjoy running, my trainer has really reigned me in to focus on strength and conditioning instead, with HIIT for cardio instead of long, heavy running--even though I'm training for my first-ever race, a 7km trailrun next month. Three times a week S&C training, and on my off days, I just do interval sprints or shuttles. You basically end up getting to around 70% intensity, get the workout done in maybe ten minutes, and reap "most" of the cardiovascular benefits without beating the shit out of your joints.

Quote Originally Posted by SportWagon View Post
    A closer fit than "Canoe", "Kayak", or "Row"?

I find it interesting they don't using the gerunds, at least not in my current version.
    (Actually, I should check in the specific case of "Stand-Up Paddl...")
    I think so. Certainly more so than Row, which is an entirely different movement.

Ahem....

Swimming is as low impact as can be...

True! I love swimming in summer. I suck at getting my head up to breathe, I have an occipital fusion which slightly restricts my neck movement. Too bad I'm not passing through KC on my way home, it'd be fun to get a lesson from you.

My ankle *should* be fine for spinning/cycling. I used to do Insanity in my backyard on a semi-regular basis, that was tough work but gave results. Ankle is definitely not up for that right now, nor HIIT sprint/walk sessions. This is why I think I ought to strengthen the muscles around the ankle for a while (while also working other muscle groups whynot) before trying that stuff again. When I dislocated my shoulder in 2014 (funny story), surgery was recommended but I saw a PT once and then did the exercises at home, and within a few weeks my shoulder was better than it was even before the dislocation. I dunno why I've waited so long to start PT on my ankle. I are dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by CudaMan View Post
    Too bad I'm not passing through KC on my way home, it'd be fun to get a lesson from you.
    You could delay a week and put the new car through its paces at the Time Trial we're doing next weekend at Heartland. There is even a 5k at the track on Saturday morning.

Damn, other plans already in motion. That'd be an awesome time. Kill my ankle *and* my water pump in one weekend!

So like, you don't breathe to the front in freestyle. Ever. You breathe to the side. Eyes are straight down when swimming, with face parallel to the surface of the water. When you breathe, your shoulders and hips go vertical in the water, and you turn face to the shoulder that is out of the water. This is done in the natural cadence of the stroke. I can show you some drills and videos if you would like.

Vertical shoulders and hips to breathe. Whoah. I do try to breathe out the side, it's tricky with all the waves/splashing and not getting my head very far out of the water to feel safe to not ingest water. Will have to figure out how to turn my whole body sideways *and* head out of the water.
    Last edited by CudaMan; June 11th, 2019 at 07:51 AM.