Page 32 of 57 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Thread: *synth* I WORKOUT

Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    I've got a couple of large workmates (males 45 - 60 age range) running in the 100 - 150kg range.
    When first I read that, I thought you meant they were entering running races in the "Clydesdale" or equivalent categories.

But later the reader realizes you didn't mean they were literally "running". (One begins to suspect by the end of the very next sentence, actually).

Quote Originally Posted by tigeraid View Post
    Just to be 100% clear though, you can lose weight with absolutely no exercise. It just requires even MORE willpower since you aren't burning any extra calories, and it means an even MORE rigid lifestyle for the rest of your life in terms of what you eat. Which is what makes it all worse.

But the zero exercising will mean a host of other health problems and an early death, regardless. It just might not be from obesity.
    Yes indeed. It's calories in and calories out with these guys, and one's an emotional eater, while the other guy is just way too keen on bourbon and beer. So I doubt either of those two will stick at it.

G'day http://gtxforums.net/member.php?32-G-day-Mate
    doesn't seem to be able to login to post here anymore.

But here's an official 30km run he just finished.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/2549319949
    (Oh, you need to be logged in on Strava to see it...)

Wow. This thread has grown disused over the past couple of weeks.

But, anyway, G'Day Mate complete his Stupid Marathon (in his words).

https://www.strava.com/activities/2608386423

[hat tip]

Found my ideal routine: 45 minute ride on an exercise bike. Went Fri, Sun and today and rode 11.44, 11.42 and 11.42 mi. At least it's consistent. Great way to get sweat pouring out of you.

A funny thing happened this month. I started weight training with easy simple stuff I can do at home. And as it's a particularly hot summer, I've been swimming often (though not vigorously or for long swims).

I'm down about 10lbs. I was 160 before summer started, then in July I was in the high 150s, and yesterday I weighed in at 148. That's the least I've weighed probably since high school. It seems odd to me that I'm spending more time lifting and doing bodyweight exercises, and less time swimming, yet I'm getting lean rather than building muscle. I've been trying to eat more good stuff, too, to give my body fuel to build muscle, and I've cut out a lot of sugary or otherwise less healthy stuff (coffee, chocolate, alcohol, Chinese food, etc).

I'll take it, just... weird.

No matter what your goal is, eating right is the most important thing.

As far as losing weight: cardio burns more calories while exercising but weight training burns more round-the-clock. Unless you need the cardio or are training for something specifically limit cardio (especially steady-state cardio, unless you get high off of it)

Sounds good, bro.

I mean, I accomplish the same while eating Chinese food, but I suspect the Chinese food I can and do eat is somewhat different from what you can eat.

I'd say that's likely. The stuff we have around here I wouldn't consider health food. Or maybe I just gravitate towards the less healthy menu options. It's sooo tasty.