Page 37 of 57 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast

Thread: *synth* I WORKOUT

With the end of the year coming I decided to evaluate my progress. As I've said before, I don't use Stava or any other time tracking for any of my workouts as I consider them to give TOO MUCH data. I realize that monitored and reported progress can help motivate many people to continue to get out the door and workout... but it's really not for me. I would micro-manage myself to death with that data.

That said, I was curious about maybe a macro-managed evaluation...

So I took all of my race results from marathons, half-marathons, and 10K (or shorter) road races over the past 21+ years and plotted them by my min/mile pace.

Years_of_Paces_of_Races.jpg

I like that I can visualize where I thought I'd never be able to run again for a few years... and then being able to come back with a new approach that has shown a good frequency of races, but also a consistency that has been a pleasant surprise. When I look back 15-20 years ago when I was running those races, I was obviously in the best shape of my life... I had a lot of great results... but there were a lot of races that went poorly. The data points are much more sporadic early on.

It definitely isn't because I'm more fit than I was twenty years ago... so I'm going to say that my present success is due to my philosophy change towards how I now approach work outs.

Good luck to everyone and their workout goals for 2020! Go after it!

Just bumping this thread for obvious reasons.

What are your workout routines during this crisis? Maybe you don't have any, or you can't do what you normally have done, or you have been idle for a couple of weeks waiting for this to subside... But it's obvious now is the time to plan out SOMETHING that you can do a regular basis and implement that into your daily routine. Now.

It's possibly more important than ever, and it will help.

Still doing my physical therapy workout(resistance bands, dumb bells) when I haven't been working a long day. It is what it is,
    Last edited by speedpimp; April 3rd, 2020 at 08:26 AM.

I've been lifting weights in the basement. I have some dumbells with changeable plates and a flat bench - nothing fancy, but adequate. I took strength training as an elective in college and while you'd never know I lift from looking at me, I use good form and lift safely.

I've been on just one bicycle ride since starting to work from home, but in my defense, we still have winter weather here at times. It was 25 degrees F (-3 C) yesterday. We got an inch or two of snow last night and it's a balmy 37 F now (+3 C) now but the roads and trails and wet and soggy. Conditions will improve, though.

I've heard people joking about the "Covid 19" like the "Freshman 15". The Freshman 15 is a joke about the fifteen pounds or so that some college freshmen gain when they go away to college and drink too much beer and eat crappy food. If anything, I've lost a couple pounds by cutting out restaurant food. Good breakfast burritos in downtown Denver, where I work, are as easy to come by as a slice of pizza on the streets of Manhattan. I miss how delicious they are but I know I'm better off without chorizo and green chile being major food groups.
    Last edited by George; April 3rd, 2020 at 11:45 AM.

I live in gym classes normally, and the gyms are all locked down shut down.

So I'm doing a brutal 1 hour walk circuit up then down a steep hill most days, and some weights at home. But not nearly enough weights to keep up strength.

Been doing more yoga and some other free online workouts since everything is closed. Been running more too now that school is all online and I don't have to travel.

I realize now more than ever what a privilege it is to have a home gym. We got it built just in time, it turns out.

https://imgur.com/eeqb8lu

We built it because my wife wanted to start lifting with me, and to lose weight, but absolutely refused to work out in a public gym. So fast forward about 4 months in, she's doing great with her lifts and she's lost over 10 lbs! So proud of her.

I am happy to see the unique ways some people are coming up with to stay in shape. Especially with this state of affairs, it really helps to maintain the routine. Even bodyweight or simple dumbbells can totally do the job.

Strangely, I've reduced my exercise level a lot since this all started. It started when out of the blue my stomach couldn't tolerate eggs anymore. I love eggs for many reasons; their nutritional density, ease of cooking, and low cost. To be honest I'm devastated I can't have them anymore. It sounds silly, but they've been a staple for so long. I've replaced them with cereal, which is far less beneficial. And in general, in order to spread out my trips to the grocery store, and with their limited food availability, I'm eating less overall. So there doesn't seem to be any point in lifting (I have a few weights at home). Just the occasional yoga and short jog if my ankle can tolerate it.

I haven't logged since this all began. It's starting to get to me, if I am to be honest. I really do thrive in that environment of lifting. Cardio us much harder for me now do to certain restrictions.

I had just started to get up to where I was before my arm surgery, back in July of 18. It won't put me back much, but it is just on hold for now.

Here is to hoping this is over soon

Quote Originally Posted by CudaMan View Post
    Strangely, I've reduced my exercise level a lot since this all started. It started when out of the blue my stomach couldn't tolerate eggs anymore. I love eggs for many reasons; their nutritional density, ease of cooking, and low cost. To be honest I'm devastated I can't have them anymore. It sounds silly, but they've been a staple for so long. I've replaced them with cereal, which is far less beneficial. And in general, in order to spread out my trips to the grocery store, and with their limited food availability, I'm eating less overall. So there doesn't seem to be any point in lifting (I have a few weights at home). Just the occasional yoga and short jog if my ankle can tolerate it.
    That sucks, man. Cereal is definitely far worse than eggs. Maybe you just need to stay off eggs for a few months to let your system reset itself, and/or switch the sources/type of eggs. If you're not sensitive to dairy then maybe have cheese instead? Meat, of course, would be the best...