Page 48 of 50 FirstFirst ... 384647484950 LastLast

Thread: *synth* I WORKOUT

So how does one stay motivated to do exercises one doesn’t actively enjoy?

Backstory: The last couple years have been “lazy” and stressful, due to life events, and then a pandemic, so I hit the worst shape of my life by around March/April. I’ve been amping up activity since then after I made some life changes.

So I’m getting more steps, getting more cardio, playing basketball… BUT, I really need to do strength training, and that’s never been anything I’ve ever enjoyed. I’ve been doing RingFit here and there, which has some Yoga and Pilates built in, kinda, but I have a hard time sticking with it. I also have resistance bands since I’ve generally preferred those over weights, but again… I don’t use them nearly as often as I should.

Get a coach to teach you proper technique? It's actually very enjoyable and rewarding in its own way. Also, as a PT is expensive, you won't want to skip classes and you will force yourself to learn.

Training for a run sucks balls.

Tried doing pull ups the oddest way yesterday. Using the roll cage of a customer's forklift. I did three before I decided it wasn't really the place to be doing them. Considering I had never really been able to do them before. Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    So how does one stay motivated to do exercises one doesn’t actively enjoy?
    It's a hormone thing, boost them.
    (no idea how)

Ran a 5k today with my MIL adoptive daughter. It was her first 5k and she did great. A few pictures from today. IMG_20210821_130117.jpg
    IMG_20210821_130142.jpg
    123_1 (1).jpg

Congrats Ashie and SIL.

Thanks Rich!

Quote Originally Posted by G'day Mate View Post
    Training for a run sucks balls.
    Thank you for sharing this G'day... seriously. Training can and will always have moments like these. People should be more willing to discuss these low moments instead of all the double-plus-good-speak you see in fitness blogs. It. Can. Be. Hard.

But to be frank, you are not just "training for a run"... you are attempting an Ultra. A trail race. Over 30 miles. That is fricken impressive! I hope you've had some better days since your wrote the above quote, and perhaps you're training has not been going to plan, and your race is probably in a couple weeks time. An ultra like you are attempting is more difficult than I EVER want to try (and I actually ENJOY running marathons) so I hope my advice and good wishes come across as sincere and not misinformed. I've always felt that training isn't about the finishing race. It's about GETTING TO THE START. After that, once you're at the start line, then it's all just an exploration of yourself and what your capabilities are for that day. Some days are going to be better than others... and sometimes that is not in your control... all you can do is just prepare for the start line.

As for myself, I too have been training this past season for a race. A marathon. In two weeks time I get to the start line after a 2 year hiatus of racing. It's the exact same race I ran 2 years back and am excited to try it again as the course was very scenic. About 4 weeks ago I tweaked my knee and had to dial back my training and start tapering weeks before I originally intended. But so be it. I'll keep going easy and let the knee heal... get to the start line... and then see what the day holds. I know any race can be a struggle, but I also know that I can enjoy it and try and have a good time too.

Good luck to you G'day! During my miles, I'll be thinking about you and wishing you well.

Hmm, I could've sworn I typed out a reply to this yesterday. Mustn't have pressed "Post"

Quote Originally Posted by JSGeneral View Post
    Thank you for sharing this G'day... seriously. Training can and will always have moments like these. People should be more willing to discuss these low moments instead of all the double-plus-good-speak you see in fitness blogs. It. Can. Be. Hard.
    Heh, that's a funny thing for me to read because I do nothing but complain about training. One day in particular I remember going for a training ride (this one - https://www.strava.com/activities/222161557) but I was really unmotivated and decided to turn home when I was 30kms in. I ended up making a wrong turn though and wound up back where I was just before, which somehow gave me whatever I needed to keep going, and in the end I had a great ride

Anyway, what I wrote yesterday was about why I do such hard things, especially something like a marathon when I don't even like running. Firstly, I want to be able to say "I've ridden a 24-hour bike rice" or "I've done a marathon". But it's not only that, I want to answer the follow-up question with "I covered over 600kms" or "I managed to come in under four hours". That is, I don't just want to walk it in, I want to put in a respectable performance.

It's funny, I've made friends who do the same sort of nutty things. Most of us have done multiple cycling Everestings, one rode Paris-Brest-Paris in 2019, another did the first half of Race to the Rock last year, and others have done Iron Man triatholons, 105km ultra-marathons ... the list goes on. Among them I'm on the lower end of the scale if anything, but then I talk to other friends or my workmates, none of whom have done anything like it, and they all just ... shake their heads. For most it's beyond their comprehension to even run 5kms without having to walk most of it, but for me it's kind of normal.

Actually something else that I just realised - for each of these challenges I can definitely single out the part(s) where I felt the lowest, and I almost relish those more than the achievements. Suffering reflux for a couple of hours in the dead of night less than half way into a 24-hour ride ... that was fun Breaking my stride and walking one step in the last 10kms of my marathon while battling 40km gusts of head-wind on a dead straight, featureless road ... that was fun too. Giving up on an Everest ... yeah that really was shit. I did two more though.
    Last edited by G'day Mate; August 30th, 2021 at 07:04 PM.