Page 51 of 53 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 LastLast

Thread: *synth* I WORKOUT

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    Update, still doing well, lost another 4 pounds in the past 2 weeks...working up to 100 kettlebell swings every other day, at 40 swings with 15 pound weight....once I get to 100 a day I'll move up in weight and go back to 10 or 20. I'm also doing separate arm/chest workouts every few days

Keep it up.

Quote Originally Posted by JSGeneral View Post
    Are you back on the trails, maybe still contemplating another ultra?
    Not even close - my shoes developed a problem that saw rocks getting stuck in the heel, and this was the second time it happened to me after swapping the first pair so the store gave me a refund. I don't even have shoes any more!

I think the next really big thing will be the Heysen 105, with a couple of shorter runs (marathons) in between. Not sure if it'll be next year or the year after.

Meanwhile though, disc golf is fun!

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    I did want to clarify that I am *NOT* using the scale to measure my progress primarily. It can be a good measurement but there's many reasons IMO why it doesn't tell the whole story, especially if you're building muscle.

I do take shirts that I had difficulty fitting into before and checking if I fit into them better and I can say without a doubt that is happening much easier than seeing what the scale shows. I mentioned a long time ago but I definitely think weighing yourself every few weeks is better than once a day or once a week.

Alright, I’ve started running again

There’s a few events that appeal to me next year:
    - Belair marathon (local trail marathon)
    - 5 Peaks (58km trail ultra, finishing near my house so it’s like running home)
    - Heysen 105 (115km trail ultra - they extended it from 105kms but kept the name)
    - A backyard ultra (I think there’s two to choose from next year)

I would still rather cycle, but cycling just takes so much more time which I don’t have these days.

Oh yeah, check out my Strava penis - https://www.strava.com/activities/7667478166

Quote Originally Posted by G'day Mate View Post
    Alright, I’ve started running again

There’s a few events that appeal to me next year:
    - Belair marathon (local trail marathon)
    - 5 Peaks (58km trail ultra, finishing near my house so it’s like running home)
    - Heysen 105 (115km trail ultra - they extended it from 105kms but kept the name)
    - A backyard ultra (I think there’s two to choose from next year)

I would still rather cycle, but cycling just takes so much more time which I don’t have these days.
    Congrats G'day and good luck with the training! I look forward to hearing about how it's going and seeing you use the head-shake-emoji multiple times.

I still think it's a gut-punch that the organizers of the Heysen 105 added on another 10k, but (as I understand it from the outside looking in) it seems that's just the normal mentality of the ultra-community.

I like that the name is wrong. People ask in shock “is it 105km?” and you get to say that, no, nowadays it’s 115

Adelaide's "Front Yard Ultra" (so-named as it's in the parklands surrounding our CBD) happened last weekend so I went to check it out. Lo and behold, there's one mums from my son's class at school competing. She ultimately came second!

Anyway, registrations open for next year's event in about a week. Pretty sure it'll be one of those things where I just sign up and then worry about figuring out how to do the thing later.

Year end wrap-up:

Winter 2022.

I did run that marathon I was training for. It went ok, but had a unique and awkward experience. This January event (in southern California) was requiring all participants to prove they were vaccinated. No worries. I am fully boosted. Showed my card when I checked in. Yet at the start I notice that some guy jumps out of the crowd and starts running along. This behavior is what is called "a bandit." Normally, I am nonplussed about such runners. However, when you start using some of the race resources that others have signed up and paid for... I think that crosses a line. This individual not only took water/hydration supplied by the race, but also ran with one of the pace groups. (A pacer is a runner that the race provides/pays--sometimes holding a sign that signals what time they are shooting for. They try to run a constant pace. It also organically provides a group of people who run together near the sign so you're not running alone.) I was in the 3hr 20min group, and so was this bandit. What made it more stressful was the knowledge that this runner--without a bib number--had NOT proved they were vaccinated... and to top it off... he was running with tissues in his hand and rubbing his nose a LOT. He ran with our group for about an hour and half before he finally dropped out. Caused some anxiety and unanticipated stress for me.

The last few miles I struggled through. Knee was sore and I was tired... but I knew I could finish. Trotted on in for a finish time a bit longer that 3hr 30min.

Spring 2022.

Weeks after the marathon, I was still not comfortable with running on my knee. It didn't feel strong. So I attempted to try some workouts that I'm normally afraid of to supplement. My wife has been been using a HIIT DVD program to workout for the past 5 years or so. I've always been intimidated by such workouts... All the up and downs, the weights, the stomach work, the bouncing around... Types of skills that I never felt like I could master because I was "just a runner." Now that I was a bit lame, I asked if I could participate with her. Thankfully she agreed and really helped me! Got me a mat and some of my own weights. Showed/coached me through each exercise and really guided me to slowly get up to speed. You know, after I got past the fear of swinging weights and jumping around... I found I LIKED IT!

After a few weeks of doing this evening workouts with her, I started running again in the mornings. I enjoyed both so I kept up with both. My knee seemed stronger. My running seemed pretty much back to where I left it.

Summer 2022.

I'm still doing both workouts. My wife decided to start doing her workouts in the morning instead of the evenings. Not wanting to miss out, I decided to do her workouts with her first, then quickly I would change into running clothes and go for my run. Was a challenge at first, but I adjusted fairly soon. Knee still feels strong and the running is going well. I'm running/working out just about every day. I'm also LOOKING fitter than I have in quite a long time! Not bad for a body that is getting close to 50 years old. (I'm not 50 yet... but it's on the horizon.) I start looking for marathons to run in the fall...

Fall 2022.

I decide to run two marathons. First time attempting to run two so close together--only 7 weeks apart. The first one was in early Oct in the New England area, along the ocean coast. It was beautiful and scenic; however, on this day the remnants of hurricane Ian were blowing through the loop course. 30 mph constant wind in my face for the beginning and unfortunately also in the last 6 miles. Brutal but I felt okay again and was pleased with my time of just under 3 hr 30 mins (a bit faster than the Jan marathon).

My next one was the weekend before Thanksgiving. The night before I was to fly out, my dog became ill. It was a no-brainer, as I canceled the trip and instead took him to the vet for an emergency appointment. He... didn't make it past the weekend, but at least I got to say goodbye. As sad as it is, no amount of training/planning is worth missing out on that.

Winter 2023.

I've still been training and decided to go back to southern California and run the same marathon I ran a year ago in mid January. Why not?

I hope you all are healthy and happy and I wish you nothing but the best in any exercise endeavors you partake in 2023.