Page 56 of 57 FirstFirst ... 64654555657 LastLast

Thread: *synth* I WORKOUT

Now this has NOT happened to me, but I've witnessed a few close calls. If and when I'm no longer here posting, there is a VERY LOW, but still non-zero, percentage chance that it would be because of an incident with an automobile while running on the roads. So I'll put this PSA out there:

If you're driving in neighborhoods, go the speed limit or slower. When driving out onto main neighborhood artery roads, come to a complete stop. No pennsylvania-stops. No california-stops. And most importantly, look both ways! Do not ONLY look towards the direction of oncoming traffic.

I'll continue to do my part, try to be as visible as possible. I know a pedestrian will always lose against a car. I will try to make eye-contact with the driver--though this is becoming more difficult with drivers wearing sun-glasses, hoodies, or the reflective glare that newish polarizing windshields can cause. I'll always wait to be sure that the driver sees me and is stopping for me. I'll always thank you. I don't care how tired I am, you'll always get a thank-you wave or thumbs up from me.

And I know that this does not directly involve any of you reading this. You and I will not encounter each other on the road. However, do yourself a favor by following this rule. You can prevent living with the eternal heartbreak of actually hitting a walker, jogger, dog, or heaven forbid, child.

Keep up the good work.

My new apartment has two gyms. No excuse to not use them. I also look forward to riding the local bike paths. Bike infrastructure is pretty much non-existent in SC.

The Backyard Ultra that I had wanted to do this year is on right now, and the runners are on lap 25. A friend of mine entered and completed 15 laps before tapping out.

Quote Originally Posted by G'day Mate View Post
    The Backyard Ultra that I had wanted to do this year is on right now, and the runners are on lap 25. A friend of mine entered and completed 15 laps before tapping out.
    Props to your friend for going for it. And I bet your friend has more props for you because of their experience.

How are you doing, G'day? Are you even able to get a short walk outdoors yet? Is there a timetable for that? Is there a timetable for something even more in the future? (There doesn't have to be. Maybe you're waiting for Iron-man's suit to be invented and that'd be ok too.)

I'm pretty limited in what I can do still, especially when it comes to lifting and other strenuous activities (they won't even let me play disc golf yet!).

I went for a run on Monday though. Wanted to go 2.5kms but after 1km downhill I knew that that wasn't going to happen so I took a short cut and headed home.

I've lost and rebuilt running (and riding) fitness plenty of times in the past and I thought this was going to be an extreme version of that, but it was so much worse. I had NOTHING to give. No strength, no endurance. My heart-rate went to maximum within a couple of hundred meters which, as I said before, was all downhill. Downhill used to be naturally easy for me, but even that was hard somehow!

I used an analogy to describe it to a cycling buddy about a local and very popular "benchmark" hill called Norton Summit. I said that when you lose fitness then maybe you're a few minutes slower up Norton Summit, but that this run was like I didn't even make it all the way up Magill road (the slightly uphill road that leads to the start of the climb) before I had to turn around and give up.

Also, my legs are still sore four days later! Stupid running.

Anyway, I'll do the same run again this weekend and see how I go.

Quote Originally Posted by G'day Mate View Post

I'm pretty limited in what I can do still, especially when it comes to lifting and other strenuous activities (they won't even let me play disc golf yet!).

I went for a run on Monday though. Wanted to go 2.5kms but after 1km downhill I knew that that wasn't going to happen so I took a short cut and headed home.

I've lost and rebuilt running (and riding) fitness plenty of times in the past and I thought this was going to be an extreme version of that, but it was so much worse. I had NOTHING to give. No strength, no endurance. My heart-rate went to maximum within a couple of hundred meters which, as I said before, was all downhill. Downhill used to be naturally easy for me, but even that was hard somehow!

I used an analogy to describe it to a cycling buddy about a local and very popular "benchmark" hill called Norton Summit. I said that when you lose fitness then maybe you're a few minutes slower up Norton Summit, but that this run was like I didn't even make it all the way up Magill road (the slightly uphill road that leads to the start of the climb) before I had to turn around and give up.

Also, my legs are still sore four days later! Stupid running.

Anyway, I'll do the same run again this weekend and see how I go.
    I hope your next attempt at running went better G'day. May I be so bold as suggest a course of action towards your recovery. Try to keep the distance you're aiming for... but instead limit the time you are actually running.

- 30 seconds running
    - 2 minutes walking
    - Repeat until your distance is over

I've found that it can help get you through a tough restart at getting back into shape. You get to cover distance... and you can keep telling yourself that you can do anything for 30 seconds (which is usually true). Later on, after your workouts stabilize, you can then lessen the rest period. Then lengthen the running duration. And take your time. Don't rush it. I've heard of world-class marathoners who had to undergo surgery, and used similar training to get back into shape when they too felt as you are.

Also, I'm not just preaching this. I hope to also use this technique MYSELF when ever I am cleared to work-out again. You see, yesterday I was signed up to run my 25th marathon in 25 years... though this was NOT to be. Less than 3 weeks ago... I had a medical incident... while exercising.

I'll place details of that in another thread...

Hang in there G'day. Hang in there everyone who is reading this and trying to hang in there with their own exercise program. I'm rooting for you.

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    I haven't been working out a lot for a while....was planning to buy a treadmill to get my steps up but no room for it at the moment.

.....so I decided to get back into Kettlebell swings since I have several different weights from 15 pounds to 35 pounds and I know it's a super good workout, just needed to be more consistent with it.

With a 20 pound kettlebell I've gone up to 100 swings for the past few days and the difference in my energy level the next morning is EXPONENTIAL....energy is through the roof!! Will keep this up for the next month until I travel again.

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    Update, moved up pretty quickly from a 20 pound kettlebell to a 35 pound one which is what "the experts recommend" starting out with for men....up to 70 reps every 2 days...will possibly move up to daily but this is just getting more in shape until my next vacation in 2 weeks.

I've noticed some good changes so far, feel stronger in my arms, better posture, better sleep, less tired when I wake up. Not worried about losing weight at the moment, but I'm sure it will start to happen after a few more weeks.

It seems weird to have one exercise that can do a lot for you and only take a few minutes per day, but yeah, I'm enjoying this so far.

Quote Originally Posted by MR2 Fan View Post
    Update, moved up pretty quickly from a 20 pound kettlebell to a 35 pound one which is what "the experts recommend" starting out with for men....up to 70 reps every 2 days...will possibly move up to daily but this is just getting more in shape until my next vacation in 2 weeks.

I've noticed some good changes so far, feel stronger in my arms, better posture, better sleep, less tired when I wake up. Not worried about losing weight at the moment, but I'm sure it will start to happen after a few more weeks.

It seems weird to have one exercise that can do a lot for you and only take a few minutes per day, but yeah, I'm enjoying this so far.

I love hearing stories like this. Keep up the great work MR2 Fan! And keep enjoying yourself too.

Short version.

I developed a back problem in 2023. (I realize now that my problem started years ago.) I went to a doc with sciatica just after the new year. Pain became debilitating, especially after sitting for an extended period. Diagnosis: discs getting compressed and putting pressure on nerve.

I’ve been doing PT regularly since Jan. 3. My physique has improved, but the pain still persists. My tummy is trimmer and I gained about ten pounds. I think most people want to lose weight. I am happy to gain some in this manner.

I am getting an injection in less than two weeks as a next step toward relief.