Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Please update to a modern browser...

Please update to a modern browser...

Heh. Went to view an article on the LA Times this morning on my older Mac laptop. I was told "Please update to a modern browser for the best Los Angeles time viewing experience." It was accompanied by icons for four major browsers, including Safari, which is what I'm using. As far as I know, I'm using the most recent version of Safari available for this OS, 10.5.8. It's not THAT old, in my opinion. Lori bought this machine in 2009, if I remember correctly. I guess 4 years is considered ancient in computerland. I feel old. *sigh*

It appears that OSX 10.5 (launched 2007) is out of support for Chrome and FF, also. Incredibly, they both still support Windows XP (launched 2001) with their latest versions.

OSX 10.6 (Snow Leopard) came out in 2009, can you install that on the laptop?

If so, then I guess it comes down to the difference between Apple making you pay for OS minor version upgrades, whereas Microsoft release their equivalent, Service Packs, for free. I.e. if MS made OSX, you would be able to download a free upgrade from 10.5 to 10.6 and thus get support for the latest versions of Chrome and FF, but Apple's policy is to charge.

You sorta pay for it either way... traditionally minor OSX versions are $100 or so, though lately they've been $40 or so - and now Mavericks is free. Microsoft, OTOH, releases a new OS about every seven years and charges somewhere between $0 and $300 for it. In the end, you probably pay about the same over the course of many years.

I think where Apple typically screws you is with compatibility - Win7 might run like shit on 2003 hardware, but it *will* run. You can't even install Snow Leopard or Mavericks on hardware just a few years old, and when Apple moves on with the OS, they dump support for the old entirely and that kinda sucks, especially you end up with the end of the last generation product. I wouldn't care if Apple dropped support for 10 year old products, but they drop support for much more recent hardware because it's all of a similar generation. You never know how long your hardware will be good for, because Apple releases no roadmaps. If you bought a MBP in 2008, you're in great shape if you did it in September. But if you bought in August it's no longer supported. That's lame. Selling premium hardware at a premium price and giving people no clue how long they have to squeeze value out of it blows.

Anyway, I'm sure the alternative browsers still support XP because it's still everywhere. 90% of home computers in 2007 had it. OSX 10.5 didn't even make up the remaning 10%.

I don't UNDERSTAND! It's a MAC and so it should JUST WORK!! RIGHT STEVE JOBS??!! I suggest you go make a fuss at the GENIUS BAR where no doubt they'll be able to solve your problem with some GENIUS SOLUTION.

Female Masturbatory Aid

4 years ancient? I'm into the Mesozoic age then: my main PC busted permanently last year and lack of money made so I'm still using my backup old PC nowadays.
    A system from 2003 (and already not top of the line back then).

And now Chrome (which I only use to fire up the lame Hangout plugin, since I don't like it as a browser) tells me, each time I open it, this: "You cannot receive any more updates on Google Chrome, because the hardware of the PC you are using is not supported anymore". So I click on the "more info" button and I check the matter.

The minimum requirements for Google Chrome are noted as:

OS - Windows XP SP2 - Windows Vista - Windows 7 - Windows. I have Windows 7 32bit installed. Check.
    CPU - Intel Pentium 4 or better. I have a single core AMD Athlon XP (Barton) 2800+ (2.08GHz) in this. Way better than a basic P4. Check.
    Space on HDD - minimum 350mb. I have 111GB free on the C: hdd, which is the OS and program's HDD. Check.
    RAM - minimum 512mb. I have 1.75GB of single channel DDR1 RAM in it. Not lightining quick but bearable. Check.

So now explain me why Chrome is continually pestering me that it won't be supported anymore for my, ancient but still usable, hardware when it keeps up more than enough with the min reqs.
    All of this while Firefox works like a champ with updated plugins and extensions on the same device.
    Even Opera works fine.

Fuck this shit. Really, sometimes computer stuff is truly retarded. As simple as that.

Opera should work fine. It's always been one of the slimmest browsers.

Quote Originally Posted by Blerpa View Post
    Fuck this shit. Really, sometimes computer stuff is truly retarded. As simple as that.
    Do they have vehicle safety checks, eg MOT, in Italy?

Same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by thesameguy View Post
    Do they have vehicle safety checks, eg MOT, in Italy?

Same thing.
    Not the same thing when you comply with all the requirements and still you won't be supported anymore.

Either you're not complying with all the requirements, or something is broken in such a way that it will no longer or cannot comply.

And that's the truth.