Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Please update to a modern browser...

Meanwhile Firefox keeps going full force and Opera as well. IE too (if I'd bother to use it) in latest updated version.
    Well done Google, clap clap.

Wanna Fight?
    Quote Originally Posted by samoht View Post
    If so, then I guess it comes down to the difference between Apple making you pay for OS minor version upgrades, whereas Microsoft release their equivalent, Service Packs, for free. I.e. if MS made OSX, you would be able to download a free upgrade from 10.5 to 10.6 and thus get support for the latest versions of Chrome and FF, but Apple's policy is to charge.
    Bought my MacBook Pro in late 09/early 10 with Snow Leopard. Got a free upgrade to Mavericks earlier this year. Never had to pay for any upgrade.

Mavericks of course being the singular exception to the Apple upgrade cost rule... and probably designed to "encourage" people to get rid of early '08 and older Macs by cutting them off entirely from OS and software support.

Basically as samoht said... See if you can upgrade to OSX 10.6.x, it seems to be the "oldest" OSX that is widely supported right now.

I wasn't looking for a solution. I'm not upgrading an aging laptop simply because of a stupid message on one web site that I don't normally browse, plus I was able to click through and read the article anyway. I guess I should have put this in the fails thread.

You should get Linux.

Or ChromeOS. Then it's always current.

A subsequent test (such as I am conducting right now) actually suggests that would work. Though I using Wine not under Mac OS X, but rather under Ubuntu 12.04. But Firefox seems designed to run under Wine (perhaps better than under native Microsoft OS, one might suspect). And it will track and do the Firefox upgrades. And I was even able to install https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir.../its-all-text/ (worked with the Wine Notepad, though afterwards I installed and used http://www.vim.org/download.php ).

Is noticeably slow, but only a little slow.

Most annoying thing (in gVim under Wine) is that ctrl-[ does not work as ESC key.

Or I could just not go back to the LA Times.