Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Affects on response times when driving

Affects on response times when driving

Makes you wonder about the UK policy of 3 points for using a mobile vs a 12 month ban for drink driving.

It's not just response time. Alcohol gives you dutch courage and makes you take risks that you otherwise wouldn't. How else would ugly people manage to have sex?

And getting drunk, and then getting sober, is a much longer process. You can't just raise and lower your drunkenness at will.
    Get that weak shit off my track

I should add that apart from your judgment and risk evaluation abilities, drinking also affects you sense of balance and spatial awareness. All of these are issues if you are operating a 2-3 ton metal vehicle travelling at speed. In any event, surely the more over the legal limit you are, the more your reaction time will suffer.

What? Hands-free mobile talk can cause such delays as well? So it's probably a bad idea for F-1 drivers talking with the pit crew? Comparatively, if you have a drink before the race, you'd probably improve your lap time! Faster reaction time than talking on the radio and it will for sure make you braver too!

Effects is the word you were looking for.

Of course, but I didn't think that even needed pointing out.

I don't see how holding the phone causes that much of a delay... If I were to ever do it. I would try to be more conscious of things going on, knowing that I'm doing something that can be dangerous. I wouldn't think I'd be that much more distracted than I would be using a hands-free device.

I suppose 1sec x 40% is just 1.4 sec.

I think what this really shows is that we need to raise the blood alcohol limit.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    What? Hands-free mobile talk can cause such delays as well? So it's probably a bad idea for F-1 drivers talking with the pit crew? Comparatively, if you have a drink before the race, you'd probably improve your lap time! Faster reaction time than talking on the radio and it will for sure make you braver too!
    Quote Originally Posted by 21Kid View Post
    I don't see how holding the phone causes that much of a delay...
    in this case, the studies don't agree with the statistics. The studies have all shown it's the act of talking on the phone that causes the issue, whether it's hands-free or hand-held. People literally space out regardless of where the phone is. I gotta believe the statistics shown don't have enough resolution - eg they don't account for driver behavior. Maybe people who statistically use hands free devices are also statistically better drivers - that would certainly make sense to me. The article is clearly more focused on nutshell truths than the whole picture. Whatevs. Don't drive whilst fucking about, we all know that.

I've also read that talking to people in the same car as you is just as distracting as hands-free. They should have that on the list.

The delay for texting should be much higher too, IMO. You have to look at a screen and try and type. Most of the time the people aren't even looking at the road. Unless it's type to talk, then it should have a different category.