Page 176 of 222 FirstFirst ... 76126166174175176177178186 ... LastLast
Results 1,751 to 1,760 of 2212

Thread: TSG's Unified Fleet Thread

Quote Originally Posted by novicius View Post
    Who in their right mind would want to do a job that's guaranteed to work, be fully mapped out, result in fun and not have to discover anything along the way?
    Thankfully someone out there, or I'd be SOL.

I'm 100% okay with determining the steps that lead to a quantifiable result, but really struggle with determining both the steps and the result.

I just don't really like the 3800SC. It seems like an even more inappropriate engine than the pushrod 3.4l. A 90 degree boat anchor of a V6 is fine in dad's Buick, but antithetical to a mid-engine sports car. Even if that mid-engine sports car isn't so sporty.
    Last edited by thesameguy; April 24th, 2017 at 12:00 PM.

I thought Northstar swaps were a known quantity as well.
    Get that weak shit off my track

Seeing y'all do work on your cars makes me want to do it too. Then I remember that I do not have a real job and have other priorities.

Quote Originally Posted by Kchrpm View Post
    I thought Northstar swaps were a known quantity as well.
    That's really true, but they are a PITA. The early (through 2004 IIRC) are prone to head gasket failure, and due to the way the engine is assembled it's beyond cost-prohibitive to repair. The later ones have that issue fixed, but are hard to find and expensive to buy. But, that's mostly irrelevant since the Northstar was never sold with a manual transmission and that makes it a non-starter for me - there is no "manual transmission Northstar" profile for me to smog it. Otherwise, I'd seriously consider it as it totally completes the car in a period-appropriate way.

Edit: I mentioned a while ago but there is a guy who put a Saab B284 engine with matching F40 transmission in his Fiero, and that's a tempting swap - it just more PITA with the intercooler. Still, it's a fine motor and they're pretty cheap to buy. I'd worry a little bit about the thermal profile, but it might be worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cam View Post
    Seeing y'all do work on your cars makes me want to do it too. Then I remember that I do not have a real job and have other priorities.
    If it's a necessity it can really be an obstacle to life, but if it's a hobby on a car you don't need to drive there's no pressure. If you don't have time or interest, do something else.
    Last edited by thesameguy; April 24th, 2017 at 02:10 PM.

Sunday afternoon I decided it was time to make the Aero not look like a POS, and that made me happy.

It's not Cuda-good, but I only had a couple hours before it was dark and I got it Pretty Good. The hood and inexplicably the rear spoiler are seriously filthy still, but at least it looks like a car that someone loves.

I used Wolfgang paint sealant which did very well on the Alfa, so hopefully this car stays clean & black for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by thesameguy View Post
    Well, I'm doing it. I ordered the 12x1qt 5w-30 for the Fiero and Suburban, with whatever is left going towards the motorhome. Still is 1-2 weeks lead time, so I guess they make it special for me. As soon as I've got it, the Fiero gets an oil change and a run through smog, so hurry on up Amazon as I will be driving on very expired tags in the interim.
    "MILES LUBRICANTS MSF100311..." has shipped.

Fiero. Photo of the Fiero. It hadn't been driven in a while, and it's newest happenings require it to be represented.

Quote Originally Posted by thesameguy View Post
    Edit: I mentioned a while ago but there is a guy who put a Saab B284 engine with matching F40 transmission in his Fiero, and that's a tempting swap
    HOLY SHIT

Interested in an 88 GT? Local autocross family is selling theirs. I'm pretty sure it's the 88.5 with the revised suspension.
    Whoomah!

Quote Originally Posted by GB View Post
    HOLY SHIT
    It sort of gets better... I was talking to him about his swap and he told me ran out of flexibility with the ME9 at just over 300hp and switched to AEM engine management which got him to well over 400hp.

Looks like a fair fit.

As much as I like doing things myself, I'd really love to just throw a stack of cash at this guy and beg him to help me.

Edit: I really like that black manifold treatment - if I ever pull it out of the Aero it's getting painted.
    Last edited by thesameguy; April 25th, 2017 at 08:34 AM.