Page 198 of 222 FirstFirst ... 98148188196197198199200208 ... LastLast
Results 1,971 to 1,980 of 2212

Thread: TSG's Unified Fleet Thread

I've done a bit more research on this Gen IV concept. Seems like an L33 ("5.3HO") as used in '05-'07 full size half ton 4WD pickups would be the money. It's all aluminum, 310hp/335lb ft and uses the same high-flow heads as the LS6. A few bolt on upgrades can unlock 100hp easy. I don't need that, but sheesh! The only useful transmission option are T5 or the various T56-related transmissions. T5s are cheap but may not put up with that engine for very long... although most of that feedback comes from people building cheap drag racers and that's not my thing. T56/TKO/etc. transmissions are nice, but expensive and may not fit in the XR's tunnel. Definitely not a "rev 1" approach. All the Gen IV blocks use the same mounts, so there is an endless selection of "universal mount kits" that could facilitate an install, and there is a T5 mount available for the XR. My T5 XR has a Ford Racing aluminum driveshaft, but using that requires an adapter that is no longer in production. I have read about some alternatives - modified shafts from other cars and even piecing one together... not sure of the approach here. Probably depends a bit on where the transmission ends up sitting. Lots of options for running the fuel injection but it sure seems like the best option is a reprogrammed factory ECM for maximum drivability and reliability. There is very little cost variation between carbs and most aftermarket solutions... the modified factory system prices in square in the middle.

The hard parts here represent somewhere around $2500, more or less depending on how I come into the engine & electronics. A few hundred dollars in variation depending on the transmission mount and driveshaft. The big variation ends up being what I end up paying someone to fabricate the mounts or how much I fuck up trying to do it myself.

The alternative would be to do something with the engine, basically following the same recipe as I've done in my XR. Shedding several hundred pounds of interior would get a lot more out of the same mods. An intercooler, radiator, modified intakes, replacement ECM... it does start to add up. It's an easy $1k, and if anything like a turbo is needed the price goes up dramatically. Still, I suspect I could get some good use out of a less extensive build - throw on an intercooler, run in the 200hp range, focus on the chassis? Maybe worth it.

The good news is that the car came with a bunch of stuff in the trunk:

There's a gutted upper & lower intake (which I actually gave to the previous owner in 2008... ) as well as an 8UA computer (later, 32-bit part) and matching VAM. It's a start!

Finding that stuff in the trunk reminded me I also gave him a pair of brackets for a rear disc conversion, and I was happy to find he'd actually done that work:

It's something. The stock front brakes are unwhelming, but I'm sure will feel better after some weight loss. Certainly if I'm keeping the Lima for a little while.

Short term plan is limited to replacing/upgrading the fuel pump, changing the gas, and deleting the cat somehow.

Then a diet, suspension & tires. Fortunately it's got 16x7 wheels already - they weigh a ton, but they fit well and can take a good tire.

Then I'll need to figure out what's going to power it.

I don't know how I'm going to do it, but I'd really like to get it to that point by the end of September. Hopefully the rest of the SPG build goes quickly... not only does that clear my work plate, but it also means I can sell Charlotte and put those funds into this XR. I should probably let Anne know she needs to be prepared for that!

Something from a long time ago... a crossmember for the XR adapted to Gen IV motor mounts... just something for me to stare at.

I have those 17x7 Motegis still, FWIW.
    Whoomah!

Hmmm... good to know. I'd really prefer to just have 17" wheels everywhere. For sanity.

My next week+ is sunk with taking the Sprinter down to SoCal and then some camping, but I really hope I can resolve the XR's running issue at the end of the month. That helps me set a direction and know what needs money first. It's a bit of a bummer there isn't anything good on this car to sell and get some spending cash from. Everything that gets dumped is wrecked and useless. I will definitely keep those Motegis on the top of the list. That's a quick, easy solution.

I will say one other upside about having this car is that it gives me something to try and paint - something that even if it turns out bad is okay. I've been afraid to try because the price of failure is a shit ton more prep for a redo. If it doesn't go well here, I can just ignore it til I feel like trying again.

I wonder what something like this ends up going for...

https://dashub.com/car-auction/2004-...-gto/lt5986705

Well, you gotta be in it to win it!

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    How much of that was that a Holden?
    acket.

I think all of it - I don't think there were any Pontiac-unique parts.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBenior View Post
    Well, you gotta be in it to win it!
    Turns out that might be easier to do than i thought. Seems those L33 all aluminum 5.3l motors are actually hard to find and dismantlers charge a fortune for them. The easy alternative is the iron block version, which is everywhere - but but turns 440lbs into 520lbs. It is easy to make more power to offset that weight, but I'd rather not add 80lbs to the front of the car and more power just puts the transmission and diff at more risk.

I was looking at wrecked GTOs because finding one with a manual could address one of those issues, assuming that wreck doesn't cost a fortune.

I need to do more research on the 4.8l - people don't like them because they don't get built for big power, but I am really targeting 300hp and saving weight off the nose.

An interesting alternative which came to me last night would be using a Saab 2.3l turbo. That gives me an easy 250hp (300 is not difficult) and gets me down to about 350lbs up front, a fair trade. I like the V8 idea just to take the turbo variable out (less affected by hot weather and more linear power) but the Saab solution means I can use junkyard fuel injection. Could save a grip.

There may be other options - is love to use a VQ for example - but I am not interested in blazing trails quite that new. The LS XR4ti has been done, and the longitudinal Saab motor has been done (and I know that fuel injection).

I have time - maybe something else will come to me.

Is the 4.8 aluminum? If not, I don't see why it'd be a better choice than an iron 5.3, unless it's super cheap.