Page 136 of 222 FirstFirst ... 3686126134135136137138146186 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,360 of 2212

Thread: TSG's Unified Fleet Thread

Quote Originally Posted by thesameguy View Post
    Summit Racing just told me they can't ship brake cooling components to California due to emissions laws. What the actual fuck.
    In a similar wtf vain... The harder rubber control arm bushings I just got in the mail say "For Offroad Use Only" on the box. Really?

Are these the Megan Racing ones? They probably stick that on everything they make just as CYA. Blipshift should do an OFFROAD USE ONLY tshirt.

I emailed Summit pointing out their inane policy, and after three days (!!!) they replied and said "regardless of how the product is used, it's still illegal for us to sell in California." To which I replied "It might be illegal in *some* applications, but since 1996 and earlier vehicles are exempted from rules that would make using this illegal, there are plenty of legal, intake-related applications for this part. California does not regulate the sale of products (except for catalytic converters) but rather the application. You can buy whatever you want, it's up to you to know how to use it. As evidence of this, I drove up the street to my local Autozone and bought the same part. Seems like if they can sell it in California to a California resident for use on a California car, you're probably okay too. I would encourage you to have a conversation with your legal time and find out what it is you're paying for." That was a couple days ago, still no response. I know they aren't going to change anything, but Jesus Christ, I mean, these guys are a business that specializes in these types of parts. You'd think they'd be up to date on eight year old rules by now. Summit Racing should not be playing second fiddle to effing Autozone when it comes to go fast parts. That's ridiculous.

EVERYONE IS A JACKASS!

Edit: Oh shit, maybe that's what that Mad Max Z was running!

Ford is yesterday's news. Seriously, sold it yesterday.

Guy came by and gave me a bit of a sob story and I bought in... He used to do tile work but switched to HVAC when the housing market tanked and people stopped doing tile projects, but hates HVAC and wants out. He wants to start his tile business up again and needs a truck, but since he's on-call with his employer he's not making much. Sounds like better planning is called for, his problem isn't my problem, but it's a bear to scrape money together to bankroll a small business and I know that as well as anyone. I sold it for the two grand I paid for it, which means it cost me about $600 to own for 9 months, including insurance. For it's planned use that would have been a net loss - I originally estimated about $200 worth of UHaul trailer rentals and that still seems right - about seven $30 rentals, once every month or so. However, we did that fridge delivery to LA and that would have cost $110, so the real deficit is closer to $280 or $290. Considering all the time I saved not waiting for UHaul hookups, being able to throw trash straight into the bed rather than piling it up and having to reload it into a trailer, and being able to use it whenever I wanted three bills is a totally acceptable loss. Even $66/mo would have been worth that, and it's really $31. DONE.

Two grand goes into the Santa Fe replacement kitty... which really makes me want to go buy this thing:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/5729937018.html

I am completely enamored of these Heico V50s and it seems there is always one for sale in SF. 10 years old and 120k would be great for a few years. Time is tight and I know I can't pull the trigger, plus I am not even remotely confident the girl is going to keep a shiny black Volvo shiny or even black. Still......

You buy that, I'll gladly pick it up in a few months. After I'm done fucking around with having surgery after surgery.

If the Ford had sold last week I might have - not only was it one more week to sort things out, but I was in the bay area.

I have to wait til we get back from Burning Man - I am swamped right now at work and I don't have half a day to buy a Volvo I don't actually need right this second.

Sure is pretty though.

There's also this:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/cto/5656635132.html

which wouldn't be bad either.

Only a few other cars on the list at this point. I need to look at a few to get a handle on their back seat situations (for the dog) so I can rule out some more.

Yeah, but those years have issues with the angle gear selector I've heard.

Yeah, but it's not too bad. The P80 cars definitely had issues, but I think the P2 cars are generally ok. Generally.

That's ones an auto anyway.

It's the front diff that fails, doesn't matter auto vs. manual AFAIK.

It would be nice to have an AWD car again so we could head up the hill in winter and not have to take the Suburban, but it's hardly a pressing need and I might rather just not have to deal with it.

The motorhome has had this slight water leak in the back since we got it, and against better judgment I tackled it this past weekend. I initially couldn't figure out the problem, but I guess the cold water drain valve wasn't sealing entirely and when the water pump engaged it would pressurize the system and force a drip past the valve. It was an intimidating fix because there wasn't much room to work and all the plumbing is polybutylene which is known to get very brittle with age. I had a fear that I would touch something and all the plumbing would crumble. Adding to the fear is that none of the plumbing is designed to be serviced - the tubes are forced over copper unions and then copper bands are forced over. There is no disassembly of this shit that yields reusable pieces... except I guess the copper unions - the bands and tubes don't survive. Fortunately, it seems modern PEX tube is a close enough replacement, so I was able to hybridize the plumbing. New valves, new clamps, new tube, sorted.

After I got that done I went to start the pump to test for leaks and found nothing 12v was working. WTF!!! Further investigation showed nothing factory 12v was working - all the work I did two years ago was still fine. DOUBLE WTF!!! And the generator would still start. TRIPLE WTF!!! I had to refamiliarize myself with the whole coach electrical system, and was fearing the 12v converter/charger had failed as my stuff and the generator go around it. It had no power, so I went upstream to the electrical panel under the hood. 12v at the battery, 12v at the isolation relay, 12v after the isolation relay, 0v at the... circuit breaker. Reset breaker, everything worked again. JOY! (I am pretty sure I tripped the breaker when I had the AC, a shop vac, and a heat gun all going at once )

Overall, it was a (re)learning experience. Nothing in this RV is that special. All the components are stupid-simple, mostly off the shelf, and ultimately not that expensive. Now is not the time, and I don't know when the time is, but all these experiences give my confidence that I could probably do a bus conversion or a vintage RV rehab if I really wanted to. I feel like at this point the only major roadblocks are parts of the house - window seals and exterior trim and such. Nothing functional is difficult or ultimately that expensive. Still not sure what the near-term fate of the Southwind is, but every obstacle I've faced thus far just hasn't been that difficult.