Page 122 of 222 FirstFirst ... 2272112120121122123124132172 ... LastLast
Results 1,211 to 1,220 of 2212

Thread: TSG's Unified Fleet Thread

On your EPS retrofit project, I was talking to a guy at the autox last Sunday (Russ, it's Jesus V) who has been putting Prius PS in various vintage autox cars. Apparently it's a column-mounted system, somewhere in the dash area, with the electronic brains close by. The brain only needs a power source and it's happy to operate on its own (no inter-connected systems bullshnizzle). He mentioned a company that sells kits, but my Google-fu is failing on that one too. He said "easy steer" or perhaps "EZ Steer." I tried both. Anyhow, someone resourceful like yourself could probably get the parts from a junkyard and figure it out without the kit. Be cheaper that way anyway.

I need more info.

I have never considered the Prius as a donor, but I am familiar with the EPS they used on the Echo, so perhaps they're similar. The c900 has a very short steering column - it's rear-steer and the rack is mounted essentially at the pedals, so the entire column isn't very long. There is a bunch of dash stuff in there, but I'm betting I could clear away a good portion of it. I really like the feel of hydraulic, but there is some appeal in skipping the middle man. I wonder how an ex-hydraulic rack assisted with an electric motor would feel.

I'll add: Even if I don't go EPS on the SPG, these systems interest me as I think adapting one to the Falcon would be easier and quite productive!

Also: Cuda, do you know the amp output of the alternator is on the MR2?

Also: Rockauto has brand-new EHPS pumps for the Saturn Astra for five bills. I don't know how you control their output - whether it's demand based or uses a speed signal - but it's an option off a recent car that doesn't break the bank.
    Last edited by thesameguy; April 5th, 2016 at 09:07 AM.

Looks like the Prius and Yaris share parts, probably derivative of the Echo:

http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/thr...power-steering

I don't recall specifically but I know there's a range of MR2 alternators, depending on options (EHPS being one of them). I think it was anywhere from 70A to 100A, maybe there was one over 100A but I'm not sure. I remember almost 7 or 8 years ago not being able to find an alternator that would properly fit my 93 Turbo at any parts store in southern Oregon. The bolt hole spacing is a little different between years or amperage ratings or something. I had a lot of help to MacGyver a wrong alternator in there to get me home, then I special ordered the correct alternator from Toyota - I guess a 93T with EHPS uses a not very common alternator.

Interesting... about what I expected.

The SPG had a 75a or 85a alternator stock, which is barely adequate. I think I put a later 105a unit on there, but I don't honestly remember. I know all those EHPS units can draw up to 60-70a, which is *definitely* bleeding edge, but how long you do you spend at full lock with the engine running and high beams on? Not long - the battery can make up the difference. I am always curious what other cars do - and the MR2 and SPG are similar enough in age to have a similar loadout of electrical doodads that a comparison is useful.

Gotcha. I found my receipt, it's a 90A alternator in my car. Stereo is aftermarket but no external amp. Otherwise the car is stock, electronically.

That's very good to know - being able to run a ~60a power steering pump with only 30a to run the rest of the car and feeling okay about it means I can certainly do it on a 105a alt!

The back of the Ford has kinda been bugging me...

"American Flag" seems so obvious, but if I remove it I will have four holes in the back on the tailgate... or, I guess, four screws in the back of the tailgate just begging to be given a purpose. I've been considering options.

Not sure...

Boobies. Definitely boobies.