Page 200 of 222 FirstFirst ... 100150190198199200201202210 ... LastLast
Results 1,991 to 2,000 of 2212

Thread: TSG's Unified Fleet Thread

aka The 909, aka blech.

I've continued to research this theoretical XRSaabti and it's looking solid. I am not sure which T5 the rwdmotorsport bellhousing is designed to work with, but the fact they mention it can be 0 degrees or 17 degrees suggests it's for a GM T5. There is a guy on a Saab forum who is building a Saab-powered ratrod who thinks he is using a T5 from an S-10, but I don't know if he just likes that transmission or if he knows something... I'm hoping to find out. In any case, the GM V6 T5 has a 14-spline input shaft, which matches the input shaft on a Saab. In theory, then, a GM V6 T5 with the rwdmotorsport bellhousing bolts right up to a Saab engine, with a Saab flywheel and Saab clutch. That's really nice. The bellhousing uses a cable clutch, same as the XR. In theory, this all just works. Some variables are I don't know what the output shaft on the GM T5 looks like and whether it's in the same relative position as the Ford so I don't know what driveshaft to use. Plenty of options there, including modifying the XR driveshaft with the correct yoke or having something custom built. That's solvable through standard means. What I'm less certain about is the intake - the Saab manifold faces the wrong direction, towards the rear of the engine instead of the front. Not sure exactly how I turn it around... since it'll be intercooled, it definitely has to face forwards.

Definitely some challenges here, but going Saab saves weight and saves money, and gives me DIY $0 tuning options. It also combines a platform I'm familiar with and an engine I'm familiar with, so in theory less learning to go with the inherent difficulty of the physical work.

Some other interesting details include the fact that if I decide to try and use the Lima for a bit, any investment in intercooler etc. I can continue to use. Going four cylinder eliminates any real concern with brake booster/MC interference, and reduces potential stress on the diff. I'm not mad at having to get the bellhousing - I've been looking for an excuse as it seems like a great thing to have around. You know, just in case.* And I think the cost of getting started is much friendlier - I have a good relationship with the Saab dismantlers and should I stumble into a 9-5 parts car, there could be some good economies.

(* I was debating the possibility of Saab-ing the Falcon a while ago, but never really pursued it. If I had the engine/adapter/transmission, well, I could always see if it fit. )

I have nothing much to contribute but enjoy following you on this.

Can you cut the intake manifold flange off and reattach it upside down to turn the intake the right way?
    Whoomah!

Ha, realized I am dumb. The throttle body on the motor points up, right in the middle. It allowed Saab to have only one manifold for turbo engines where the inlet pipe goes over the transmission and non-turbo engines where the inlet pipe goes up the other side.

Just need the right hat.

Of course, I am assuming that the upward pointing throttle body will clear the hood, but fixing that is no worse than a manifold that points the wrong way.

Definitely happy the bellhousing adapter supports a 0 degree tilt... I will probably need that for hood clearance!
    Last edited by thesameguy; July 9th, 2017 at 07:27 PM.

Got bad info... the bellhousing is designed for a Ford four cylinder T5 input shaft. Makes finding that gearbox a little more problematic... ten years ago TurboCoupe gearboxes were difficult to find, these days I'm sure they're unobtanium. I might have to build or hybridize a gearbox. Interesting.

Mmmmmm.

Vauxhall 2.0XE Engine to Borg Warner T5 Bellhousing AF12 1 $251.12
    Spigot bearing SPI01 1 $17.39
    RS2000 Clutch Release Fork AF1B 1 $64.39
    RS2000 Clutch Release Bearing AF1C 1 $39.28
    Duratec Universal Chassis Mounted Engine Kit AF40 1 $97.87
    Subtotal $470.05
    Postage & Packing $95.94
    Grand Total $565.99

I snuck in the plates to help install the Duratec in the Falcon... you know, to save on shipping.

It seems like a lot of money, but this stuff is cheap. A similar adapter bellhousing from Quads4Rods cost quite a bit more and it doesn't even have to cross an ocean!

There's a two week lead time on this part, and it'll probably take a couple weeks in shipping, so.... middle of August? Guess that's how long I have to get the bad gas out & see of the XR runs or not. And how long I have to source a Saab engine and, I guess, get a welder! Got a friend lined up who will help me learn as long as I provide the equipment.

I drove the Sprinter down to Oxnard last night. Around 3am I got the distinct feeling that I might be living George's nightmare. BEEP! There is someone on the left. BEEP! You have left your lane. BEEP! There is a car too close in front of you. So, so many warnings. I guess I'm a really bad driver. The side warnings are the worst - a red light appears on the side mirrors when there is a car there. At night, the sequence is headlights in the mirror, red warning light, BEEP! I seriously panicked a couple times, because it's pretty much exactly what it looks like when you're getting pulled over at night. Still, I left it on, wondering what happens psychologically after a while... like, do the warnings lose their meaning or do you start relying on them? I didn't know. I guess six hours isn't enough to sink in - the beep was consistently annoying, I spent a lot of time sure I was getting pulled over. The lane departure warning is REALLY unreliable - sometimes it beeps when doing a normal merge onto the freeway (BEEP! Am I merging into someone accidentally???) and sometimes it doesn't beep when drifting across multiple lanes of traffic. Heaven forbid you drive through a 10 mile long construction zone where cones result in you splitting a lane... BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP!!!! I'm not one to say it, but I really think this is technology run amok. We'll see how I feel about it on the way back.

... Which will not be for a while. The shop screwed up the order, so I'm leaving it down here and will come get it later this week or next. Not what I had planned, but oh well. Not exactly sure how I am getting home right now - maybe a $300 last minute plane ticket or just driving back in a rented Fusion Hybrid. Man, it's busy inside - lots of buttons, a complicated instrument cluster - but the hybrid system is top notch. Start, stop, and transitions are utterly seamless. Really nice engineering IMHO. It's not fast, but OTOH I've left it in Eco mode. Put about 45 miles of mixed driving on it, averaging 48mpg. Highest instant I've seen was 52mpg on the freeway, worst is 37mpg on a surface street. NOT BAD. We'll see how I feel about it after a few days!

I used the LDW in the 6. Once. It only vibrates the wheel, so not so bad, but still seemed a bit useless.

I can definitely see how if you're a shitty driver it may save your life - you know, talking on the cell phone, whoops, drifted into another lane, my bad - but I feel like rather than cameras, sensors, and beeps we should have mulchers built into the driver's seat.... you know, talking on the cell, whoops, drifted into another lane, mulched. We don't need you.