Page 207 of 222 FirstFirst ... 107157197205206207208209217 ... LastLast
Results 2,061 to 2,070 of 2212

Thread: TSG's Unified Fleet Thread

Shoulda known I had to be explicit...

Where is a good place to buy big heavy used Miata parts, like a transmission?

Mazda recycler in Rancho?

Treasure Coast in FL: http://treasurecoastmiata.com/c-3268...ata-parts.html

Planet Miata in PA: http://www.planet-miata.com/index.php

The Parts Group in FL: http://partsgroup.com/
    Whoomah!

Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    Mazda recycler in Rancho?
    Any particular one? Went hunting through them a few months ago with an RX8 owning friend and wasn't so impressed. The current one on the corner isn't like it used to be, not since Steve sold it. I think we went to three (one may have been generic Japanese). None of them seemed all that enthusiastic about being enthusiastic.

Edit: I looked on ebay, which is effectively limited to LKQ, of course. I found it weird prices ranged from $150 to $600... I don't understand that wild variance!

"Mazda and Mini Cooper Recycling" on Dismantle Ct. is the last one I went to. Been a while, though.
    Whoomah!

Why do you need / want a Miata trans? I think I missed something.

Quote Originally Posted by GB View Post
    Why do you need / want a Miata trans? I think I missed something.
    The two major projects I am working on are the Saab motor with T5 into the XR4Ti and the Duratec into the Falcon with either a Ranger 5-speed or Miata 6-speed. I am assuming the Miata box is physically smaller, and it's what I'd like to focus on. I have been waiting to work on this for lack of a welder, but those funds are in and available, I'm just figuring out which one to buy.

The XR probably won't get used (at this point) for six months, so I am thinking about working on the Falcon over the winter. Getting it done will cost less and clear up space in the garage.

As always I am being opportunist about this - if a T5 falls in my lap that could change things.... I have just been unsuccessful with the cheaper option so far. I know NCs are rare and resigned myself to an expensive gearbox on that a long time ago.

Did not get nearly as much done this weekend as I'd hoped, but I guess did knock out the critical stuff.

Fixed the charcoal canister on the Viggen - all three nuts were missing from the bracket which nobody would ever have any reason to remove in the first place. Really weird. People do strange stuff.

Started in on the Jag - I am replacing the sunroof mechanism and headliner... the mechanism has been broken since I got it, and the headliner itself has developed a little sag. Real happy I dragged my feet on the mechanism as I'd be pissed if I had to remove the headliner twice. Happy to knock 'em both out at the same time. Since the Jag is "the AC car" and "the date night car" I haven't much needed or wanted the sunroof anyway, so no harm no foul. Guessing this is a two-week operation... when it's done, the cat's for sale.

Getting the headliner out wasn't quite as bad as I thought it was going to be. Parting out that '02 a couple years ago was huge - I knew where all the fasteners were and got it down really quickly.

Getting it out was a whole other issue. You get real spoiled with hatchbacks where the headliner just slides out the back... not so easy on sedans. I tried everything but gave up when I mangled the "bridge" by the rear view mirror... always the weakest part of any headliner where there's a sunroof. I sliced the shell with a sharp knife near the middle of it so it could be folded to a 90 degree angle and withdrawn from a rear door.

It's not ideal, but I'd rather have controlled damaged than random damage.

Fortunately, my weaksauce fiberglass skills are slowly improving... I am getting a much better feel for the cloth to resin ratio. I did a quick repair on the mangled bit by the rear view mirror - it'll be fine.

Plan is to re-fold the shell to get it back in the car, then repair the slice with fiberglass inside the car. Should be fun.

As much as I've enjoyed having the Jag, I'm looking forward to selling it. With the Aero and the Viggen it's definitely redundant, and getting the cash back out will fund other... um... endeavors.

Quote Originally Posted by thesameguy View Post

Fixed the charcoal canister on the Viggen - all three nuts were missing from the bracket which nobody would ever have any reason to remove in the first place. Really weird. People do strange stuff.

Truly sums it up. I mean, I'm happy nothing was broken, but I seriously laid there and stared at it for five minutes, trying to figure out what whoever did it was trying to do.

Oh yeah, the other thing that happened this weekend...

Sunday I got an email about a 9-3, a response to an email I'd sent weeks ago. Dude was selling it, decided not to because he found "an input shaft leak" that was contaminating the clutch causing slipping and he didn't want to dump that on someone. I didn't mention I was going to dismantle it anyway, but volunteered that a leak wasn't a dealbreaker. So, rounded up a U-Haul tow dolly and set out on an exciting road trip.

Trust me when I say Google Maps doesn't adequately illustrate how twisty these roads are. Random knows what I'm talking about. Also, UHaul doesn't adequately illustrate how fatiguing towing an unladen tow dolly is. No suspension on those things, they bounce around like crazy. But, I was seriously concerned about the Suburban's ability to handle the extra 1200lbs of a full trailer, so tow dolly it was. Driving down rough roads sounds like you're just dragging ladders behind you. But, it was a really pretty drive and the Suburban, as always, did great.

The guy was asking $1000, which seemed reasonable for the car before I knew it had a leak that would have required major surgery. I drove out there with the intent of talking him down based on the leak - I mean, not much since there isn't far to go down from $1000, but a token amount anyhow.

Upon arrival, I didn't. Dude is a cancer survivor on disability. Not gonna mess with that. I loaded it up and towed it home.

It's an '02 9-3 SE. I'm sure it's the 205hp HO engine - it's actually really fast. So fast I'm wondering if it's been tuned. No idea how to find out! It only had 125k on it, and I'm apparently the third owner. It's complete - running and driving car. I put about ten miles on it yesterday between the test drive and the "last mile" - once i Sacramento I dropped the UHaul off and just drove it the last eight miles home. Story is the PO put in a new clutch but due to the oil leak the new clutch is slipping too. He did not want to take it apart again. He says transmission input shaft is leaking, I say the rear main seal is leaking. Engine has a nice coating of oil underneath - there isn't that much opportunity for a manual transmission to lose that much oil. But maybe it's not the leak causing the slipping at all - maybe the flywheel is glazed or something else. Don't know, don't care.

The front suspension is worn for sure - it wanders a little bit & torque steer like crazy. PO lives down a 2 mile gravel road, sooo... Roof has major clear coat peel, but the paint & body are otherwise ok from what I can see under all the gravel dust.

It has the cool two-tone leather/cloth anniversary interior. If nobody needs those front seats they're becoming office or Forza chairs. They are *so* comfortable.

It has a complete consumer-grade stereo setup - new head unit, new Pioneer speakers...

and this monstrosity.

Aside from a donor motor for the XR, there are some good things for the Viggen under the hood -

Coil pack, some turbo electronic doodads. I think the tires will end up on the '88 XR4Ti's 16" wheels - they're newish Fuzions... nothing special, but round and safe which is a major step up. Or, maybe I can sell the wheels + tires to fund some alternatives.

Anyway, gonna finish the Jag, then get to work on this.