Page 182 of 222 FirstFirst ... 82132172180181182183184192 ... LastLast
Results 1,811 to 1,820 of 2212

Thread: TSG's Unified Fleet Thread

After some research I am wondering if the Suburban's leak isn't mostly the oil filter adapter... it's this thing:

on the passenger side of the engine - and mine looks a lot like that picture, very wet. Apparently the (undersized) o-ring seal in there gets weak and sometimes fails into pieces, allowing oil to squirt around a fair amount. I wonder if oil isn't traveling down the cooler lines and dripping onto the steering tie rod, leaving a mess there too. I imagine the front and/or rear seals aren't perfect, but if this theory pans out it's a simple inexpensive fix and might make a big difference. Plus, now I have the fear of this o-ring totally failing and dumping a bunch of oil real quick.

Fun story found during my research:

Mine was leaking a year or two ago, and me being stupid, i tried to tighten those bolts down while the truck was turned on...... Bad idea, I broke a bolt off inside the block and hot oil shot all over the driveway and me.
    TOTALLY PRO!

Got the Fiero smogged at lunch... all is well, so it's legal again.

Pretty dramatic improvement on NOx, probably due to an intact manifold.

They smogged it right between a brand new Rolls and an F430, so it felt right at home.

Running well, passed smog, all should be well for another couple years.

I thought your car was a refereed swap? Does the smog computer not know that?
    Whoomah!

The Fiero has an invisible swap - you can't tell a 2.8 from a 3.4 unless you crawl underneath it and identify either the different block webbing pattern or the bolt where a knock sensor used to be.

Ah!
    Whoomah!

Some more fun:

Decided to go ahead and change the oil on the motorhome this evening - I haven't got any useful information from Speedhut yet, so the SPG remains partially disassembled.

While under the motorhome, I was pretty horrified to find a *&%^(*&ing ATF leak - pretty red ATF all over the pan. Like all over it. I should have left it alone, but well, I didn't.

I've initially ruled out the pan leaking, because if it was going to leak it would have after filling, not randomly months and months later. I thought maybe the input shaft seal, so I removed the slightly-damp torque converter cover and found nothing underneath. Ok, not the input shaft. I looked up at the shift shaft seal - which a shop replaced shortly after I got it - and that was dry as well. Grabbed a can of brake cleaner and went to town, cleaning dirt, ATF, and nostalgia-inducing playa off everything. In doing so, I moved the solenoid harness out of the way and - no joke - probably 2-3 tablespoons of ATF just dumped out of the wire sheath. I kind of wished that was recorded - because pouring liquid out of wires is pretty exciting, and I'm fairly certain I made a good WTFATF!!! face.

Seems like ATF is coming through the wire harness, dribbling down to the pan:case union, and then running around the transmission. Or, maybe also the pan gasket (PLEASE GOD NO!!!), but *at least* the connector. Unfortunately I can't tell whether it's coming from around the connector or through the connector. I guess both are possibilities, so I have a little investigation to do. Either way, the muthafuckin pan has to come off - either to replace the connector or the o-ring around it, so blech. Hey, at least it's easy to drain remove the pan! I guess I need to decide whether I spend $3 on an o-ring and hope, or spend $100 on wiring harnesses... apparently there was an update so if I replace the inside leaky-ass harness, I also have to replace the outside harness. That seems *really* annoying as it involved splicing like 20 wires. FML. Whaddayagonna do? I'm leaning towards just replacing the harness, as the early-style ones are prone to (wait for it) leaking through the connectors. No point in wasting time over $97.

No matter what, I'm not doing anything for a while, just good to have the information to plan.

And, since I gotta get greasy under there I'm thinking about modifying my power steering cooler - it was a good Rev 1, but if I can find a specific magic part I can make a kick-ass Rev 2.

But, uh, never got around to actually changing the oil. Whoops.

Replace both.

Quote Originally Posted by thesameguy View Post
    The Fiero has an invisible swap - you can't tell a 2.8 from a 3.4 unless you crawl underneath it and identify either the different block webbing pattern or the bolt where a knock sensor used to be.
    You can bump a DMC-12 to 3.0 from 2.8 doing something very similar. Nets you no power gain at all and is an exercise in futility, but you can.