Page 103 of 222 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103104105113153203 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,030 of 2212

Thread: TSG's Unified Fleet Thread

Just take it to a car wash.

$20 will get it nicely washed and vacuumed.

I'm looking for a little more than that... cleanliness isn't at stake, I don't want a faded dashboard or dried out weather stripping and getting someone to take care of that for you is quite a bit more than $20.

You need an OCD friend that can be paid in beers and wings, but I have the feeling that you are that friend.
    Get that weak shit off my track

I need to know that guy in SoCal. I used to have a friend Kyle who actually lived not too far from Rancho and who I definitely could have enticed into an arrangement, but he moved away a long time ago. I would love to find a reliable handyman type to help out down there... someone who could get a car smogged or a crap washer & dryer loaded onto a truck and hauled away. Unfortunately I am a little too paranoid to just find someone on the internet and send them to a single lady's house to do stuff. The potential for epic failure there is enormous. I've been doing okay with the twice per year journey, but it was frickin' cold there this time! Way too cold to be detailing a car, anyway.

I haven't touched tools in, jeez, two months? I do all my best saving at the end of the year, so no car work has been underway. Absolutely nothing - knock on wood - is broken right now so there's been no pressure whatever. Just video games and booze this winter, ain't nothing wrong with that.

I did place a small rockauto order of stuff to redo the F150's cooling system - new radiator, hoses, thermostat, etc. That stuff all showed up yesterday after nearly three weeks in transit and - I know I'm nuts - I am looking forward to doing this work over Christmas weekend. Saturday is looking to be a sunny 50 degrees, great time to play in the water.

Part of the year-end savings is to replace our dishwasher which has developed some weird problems - it leaks from the front and fails to drain maybe one out of twenty uses. So weird - but it's probably 25 years old and I sure as shit am not going to invest a dime in it. Since we're doing that, I am replacing the fridge at the same time to hopefully cut down on our energy bill and because I want a ice dispenser for real. At the same time, SoCal Mom's fridge is dying ("it just cuts off for an hour or two sometimes"), and we're thinking about getting ours down to her. Ours isn't new, but it's newer than hers and it isn't broken. I just can't rationalize whether it's better to just suck it up and buy her a new one locally or invest in moving... $1000+ vs $200 in gas to deliver a not-new fridge, plus of course my time. Not sure whether it's better to rent a trailer and tow it with the Suburban, or lay it down in the Ford. For a short drive I'd lay it down for sure, but 7 hours on some rough roads is rough. Plus, I'm not sure how comfortable 1994 F150 is over that long of a drive. Either way, getting down there with a trailer or a pickup has the side benefit of a facility to empty GARBAGE out of that house. I'd really like that SO MUCH.

I am reminded it's time to stock up on oil... Suburban, Fiero, XR4Ti and the Ford are all due for their annual oil change next month. YEAH!

F150's cooling system has been mostly rehabbed. The primary target was radiator replacement, but while I was in there I figured some sensors, hoses, and the thermostat were called for as well. I continue to be highly satisfied by Spectra brand radiators - this is the fourth I have purchased (Saab, PT Cruiser, Fiero, and F150) and they always are just fine. Maybe not the best in some academic sense, but the fit is always spot-on, the hardware kit is always comprehensive, and the price point is very middle of the road. I am less impressed by the Gates lower radiator hose, which was simply all sorts of wrong - wrong bends, wrong length, wrong damn diameter! I ended up reusing the one that was on there, rusty-ass spring and all.

It's clear someone in the truck's past was not good with tools. I suspect the same guy that put braided wrap and shiny stuff all over everything. That guy also couldn't handle the thermostat housing and had like three gaskets, some weird rubber crap, and a mess of RTV everywhere. Clearly couldn't get it to seal. Took me 30 minutes with scrapers and a sanding block to get everything clean and smooth again. I was a little nervous as after mistreatment these vintage Ford housings sometimes warp and won't seal ever again, but I've got 40 miles on it without leaks, so I rule, that other guy, well, doesn't.

Oil change, new air filter, and a new fuel filter (which I think replaced the original!) and Phase 1 is complete - non-leaky system and a working temp gauge. I am annoyed I did not order a fuel injection coolant temp sensor. Oops. Sometime in the next few months I will go through the ignition system, and hopefully along the way tackle the permanent high idle. 4.9l of six should not idle at 1000rpm, but a high idle plague these motors (and EEC IV in general) so I'm not surprised. Bad TPS? Leaky throttle body? Who knows. Not too troubled by it.

High idle Could be caused by a blocked vane on the hot idle controller block.

What the heck is a hot idle controller block?

There is a weird vacuum doodad on the side of the block I thought was EGR-related... I thought idle was just the idle control valve on the TB like other EEC-IV cars.

Quote Originally Posted by thesameguy View Post
    What the heck is a hot idle controller block?

There is a weird vacuum doodad on the side of the block I thought was EGR-related... I thought idle was just the idle control valve on the TB like other EEC-IV cars.
    As someone who barely knows his ass from a hole in the ground, automotively speaking, I got a good chuckle out of this episode of Stump The Expert.
    Your license plates. GIVE THEM TO ME
    plates | pints | plaid on YT: https://www.youtube.com/@platespintsplaid

Me too, and I want to know the damned answer!