Page 12 of 222 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast

Thread: TSG's Unified Fleet Thread

carshopinc.com emailed saying the stuff was in stock and would ship today. How nice!

... and now it's on a truck for delivery!

In other news, about a month ago I inquired about a '95 E320 with 235,000 miles that was registered out of state and barely running. Couldn't tell much from the photo, and being 40 miles away I wasn't going to go take a look and hope. I rudely sent the seller a text message offering less than half of the asking price. It was a fair price, but offering someone a couple hundred bucks on a car they think it worth $1200 is pretty rude. Not surprising, I didn't hear back. Two weeks went by and I saw the ad again, now with a new lower price. I send the same text, apologizing if I'd sent it twice. No response. I kept my eye on the ad, waiting for it to expire and then get reposted - that was supposed to happen Monday. The ad went down, but never went back up. I figured some sucker had forked over cash.

Nope, got a text yesterday afternoon agreeing to my price if I could come get it immediately. No worries! I got half a tank of diesel in the Suburban and there's a UHaul on the way to BFE! Let's look at what $467 (the cost of the car + the UHaul rental) buys in 2014:

It buys a 1995 Mercedes E320 with no hood ornament nor headlight wipers.

It buys a car with extra-jenky stereo wiring. Notice the surface mount wiring trailing away on the left.

It buys a car with a missing armrest cover, and a center storage bin explicably totally missing.

It buys a car with a physically broken door hinge (or two).

It buys a car with SWEET Cerwin-Vega bookshelf speakers crammed on the rear deck, connected to the head unit with previously illustrated surface wiring.

As far as I'm concerned, the inclusion of bookshelf speakers in ANY car means it's a no fucks given POS beater. I'm so embarrassed by this configuration immediately after taking this picture I removed the speakers and threw them away. I don't even want bookshelf speakers in a parts car.

Near $50000 when new.

The sad thing is this; that car, with a facsimile of preventative maintenance, would have kept on running for years. I reckon you could resuscitate it.

Not even good enough to be garage speakers?
    Whoomah!

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Russ, You and I... This ][ close, mang!
    acket.

Quote Originally Posted by neanderthal View Post
    I reckon you could resuscitate it.
    Not economically. A 235,000 mile old W124 is a $2,000 car on its best day, and this car needs WAY more than $1533 worth of work. Headliner is wrecked, front seats are wrecked, carpet is wrecked, sunroof is wrecked, tinting is failing, a couple reasonable dings, front airdam is wrecked, initial signs of rust at a couple spots. It doesn't run right, probably has a failed head gasket, might have a failed wiring harness. It's in bad shape, possibly worth less than the $400 I paid for it. I'm just banking on getting a hundred or two in scrap metal.

The reason I bought it is that finding the '94/'95 cars in junkyards is, apparently, really tough around here. Maybe all the ones that are going to die are already dead and gone, or maybe they just don't die that often. I need a few things for the '94 and want a few spares, and this car is going to donate them. If I'd been able to find that stuff in junkyards I never would have bought this - I just don't want to pay retail price on stupid things like windshield washer bottles. That stuff will add up very quickly and exceed what this partsmobile cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    Not even good enough to be garage speakers?
    Maybe, but I don't need any. If you do you are welcome to them - they are sitting the trash pile, aka the trunk.

If you don't mind hanging onto them, yeah, I'll take them.
    Whoomah!

ps. when do you find out about BM tix?
    Whoomah!

No worries! They were going to stay in the trunk til the car gets crushed. Weight is weight! I will plug them into the stereo in the garage to see if they work, though. Actually, I know they work to some degree because I did turn on the stereo in the car to see if it worked, but I will do a real test. These fancy speakers even still have their wall-mount brackets installed!

Registration for tickets is tomorrow, sale is a week from today. On that note, we were invited to join a very well-established camp on Saturday night, which would guarantee parking and access to good facilities. I think that's awesome, but I'm a little hesitant on signing up for a job on the first go... It's not the effort involved, it's the timing... do I want to be scheduled to do something at a time when I'd rather be doing something else? I dunno. OTOH, an in with a bunch of pros could be neato. Still pondering that.

Not necessarily a bad thing to have a guided-tour experience the first time, I suppose. On the flip side, maybe part of the experience is stumbling around confused and lost for the better part of a week...
    Whoomah!