Page 13 of 222 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast

Thread: TSG's Unified Fleet Thread

Hippies.
    Get that weak shit off my track

Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    On the flip side, maybe part of the experience is stumbling around confused and lost for the better part of a week...
    That is kind of my thought right now... that I might prefer being able to do anything and everything when I want to, rather than having to carve out time for, um, work. The only thing rattling around in my head is that - and I'm guessing - there are things you have access to when you're part of a major camp that you might not have access to otherwise. I'm basing this off stories friends & acquaintances have come back with - I have no idea if that's really a useful thing for a first-timer.

Related, a friend and his wife have expressed interest in coming with us. If they do, that invitation would not extend to them so things could be awkward. I will confide in the entire internet that my motivation for having folks come with us would be to offset the cost of gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Kchrpm View Post
    Hippies.
    Not yet. As of right now my morning ritual is less goat milk or wheat grass and more Benz or Jag.

Thought everyone might enjoy this little parts car show and tell! Check this out!

What you're seeing below are parts of the rubber boot from the coil pack. All that rubber down there made it very difficult to get a spark plug socket around the spark plug, and of course I didn't want any of that rubber going into the combustion chamber. A combination of compressed air and a shop vac got most of the crap out of the wells.

If there was any doubt as to why the coil boots failed, let's look at Exhibit B - spark plugs literally coated in oil. It's pooling quite badly around a few plugs even after being removed. I thought #1 and #2 were bad, but was downright impressed with #5! That's a lot of oil!

So, uh, what happens when a valve cover gasket fails and oil pools in the spark plug wells? Ignition system stops working. What happens to all that fuel that's not being ignited properly? Oh, it goes right down the exhaust where it explodes in the catalytic converter, like so:

AWESOME.

I am going to sawzall that cat off and then run a compression test. Maybe, just maybe the failure here is limited to spark plugs, ignition coils, and that cat and the low coolant in the motor is just coincidence. OTOH, maybe all that backpressure blew up the head gasket too. That sure would be something!

For the record, this is EXACTLY the type of car I'd expect to find bookshelf speakers in. Exactly.

I have seen worse oil in sparkplug holes. But we won't get into that discussion now.

This will be fantastically entertaining.

Did Russ just sneak the popcorn smiley from the sandbox?

Did a compression test on the motor this morning, did not go well. Results were 135psi/90psi/90psi/90psi/125psi/125psi, #1-6. I ran the numbers twice, to see if spinning for a while changed anything. Nope, consistent both times. I was going to add some oil to the cylinders but the only oil I have is a sealed jug o' Lubromoly I didn't feel like unsealing, so instead I added some Pentosin ATF1. I only added it to #2 and #3, but compression shot up to 215psi in those, so it looks like the bottom end.

Still, the tests were done on a stone cold engine in the AM (it was probably 4x degrees last night) and b) this car hasn't gone much of anywhere in a year or more. It could be stuck rings, possibly as a result of a terrible ignition system carboning up the engine. Same story as the Cadillac, really, and it recovered nicely. The pistons tops look *ugly* through the spark plug holes - there Is clearly a mess of carbon there, probably partly from age but mostly from an effed up ignition system.

I'm going to pour some Seafoam into the CCs and let it sit for a day or two and see if anything changes. Worst case I've wasted $8, best case I end up throw another $15 at some cheapo spark plugs and get a running motor. My money is on an abused and tired bottom end, regardless, but it's worth $8-$15 to find out for sure... not that I have any need or plans for this motor, I guess, but maybe someone else does.

Spare running motor? What can't you do with it?!

(Reminds me of Junkyard Wars.)

A big ol' 3.2l 220hp six that weighs a ton and only bolts up to Mercedes transmissions has fairly limited usefulness. I can't see choosing this motor for any project other than putting a Mercedes back on the road - and that is just not an economical undertaking. Plus, I think it's pretty rare these cars fail due to their engines... usually it's transmission or electrical problems. I guess having an E320 with a bad motor is kind of special!