Page 174 of 222 FirstFirst ... 74124164172173174175176184 ... LastLast
Results 1,731 to 1,740 of 2212

Thread: TSG's Unified Fleet Thread

Fuuuuuck. Those were NOT cheap either!!

The factory-look is a killer. I'd suggest having (yet something else) fabbed as a bridge but that won't look OEM...

Yeah, I am pretty irritated. I would accept this from $200 Chinese ebay headers, but $500 custom California headers should be better.

I have been researching exhaust gaskets for nearly 24 hours now. I found some neat stuff like:

and

which are promising due to their shape and construction, but finding them in the US is crazy difficult. If I was having this problem in the UK, I would not be having this problem. That second gasket is from a motorcycle, so I went by two motorcycle shops this afternoon. I got to handle something similar to that second one in person, and if I can find it shorter, it might work.

My backup plan is have something else made, with the exact side effect you noted. I am envisioning a matching two bolt flange welded to the existing crossover, and then using a flex pipe near the collector to make up for the adjustability I lose in losing the ball & socket joint. I think that might work visually since joints are repaired all the time, and there is no law against adding a flex pipe (well, there sorta is, but nobody would ever say anything). The problem I fear is I'd need to saw off the "noses" on these damn manifolds, and doing that in the car would suck... but I *really* don't want to take them out again. That's assuming, of course, my exhaust shop can modify the crossover pipe properly in the car. I yanked it out this evening and am going to run it by them tomorrow to see what they think.

Oh, yeah - I am also entertaining the idea of buying a pipe expander:

http://www.harborfreight.com/large-t...der-69549.html

to grow the inlets on the crossover, to see if I can create enough room for the donut gaskets they sent. Unfortunately, that Harbor Freight one doesn't go small enough (need <1.5") so I'm sure that'd entail some special German tool that costs $300. Maybe I'll see what the exhaust guys think of that plan, and maybe they can expand it a smidge.

That reminds me, "my exhaust shop" is the place I've been going for like 20 years, but I am suddenly reminded that Sacramento Volvo Service opened their own "we'll make anything" exhaust shop a block further down the road. They're the guys I'll eventually have do the SPG, I should have sent my friend Sue & her Saab to those guys, and maybe I'll talk to them about the Fiero, too. Hmmm. Actual choices are weird.

Edit: Or maybe HF has a smaller one that's even cheaper.

http://www.harborfreight.com/medium-...der-69548.html

Last edited by thesameguy; April 19th, 2017 at 06:54 PM.

Found this tonight:

http://rol-tech.com/wp-content/uploa...EB-VERSION.pdf

Illustrated catalog of exhaust gaskets. Super fun reading.

They also have a catalog of pipe accessories:

http://rol-tech.com/wp-content/uploa...IL-CATALOG.pdf

where I learned that reinforced rib saddle construction is "perfered" by the professional installer. I don't know what that means, but I do enjoy having a list of all the mundane exhaust hardware that you normally have to go to an exhaust shop for. If you want high-polish weld-on v-band flanges no problem, but crush-bent 90 degree aluminized steel? Good luck.
    Last edited by thesameguy; April 19th, 2017 at 09:53 PM.

I finished the replacement starter heat shield on the XR last night - it's not as structurally sound as I'd like, but I think it'll be fine. Certainly a vast improvement on the fragments that were there before. This morning I double checked the fluids and took it out to drive over to the exhaust shop.

Everything started great, but when I pulled out onto the main road the throttle got a little spongy and idle speed was suddenly 2000rpm. Bah. I had done some throttle cable modifications while the intake was out, assumed I buggered something up. Pulled over, discombobulated the throttle actuator, put it back together, and everything was cool. Drove the exhaust shop and got their input, ordered some Felpro gaskets based on the catalogs I just posted from NAPA, dropped off my dry cleaning, and headed back home. Rocketed onto the freeway, and bam, idle was back at 2,000rpm. BAH.

I've had that problem before - the throttle springs get sticky when they sit, so I continued the drive to remediate at home. Took it apart, applied lube in the liberal fashion to which I've become accustomed, put it back together, and the throttle is *really* stuck open. That's not normal. I pulled off the intercooler hose and

GREAT GOOGLY MOOGLY!

In all my years working on cars, I have NEVER left a paper towel in place, ever. What's more, I have no recollection placing that paper towel there, and I don't know why I would have. The intake manifolds were off and in the garage... plugging the throttle body served no purpose. Seriously, I don't know.

I'm blown away that 18psi didn't just shove that thing right into the engine, but I guess I lucked out. So, paper bullet dodged, all seems well.

d00d!
    Whoomah!

It's CRAZY it ran just fine other than the idle issue. 90% of the air hole obstructed and the XR4Ti is 100% ZFG.

'Murica!!!!!

Well, a standard paper air filter is basically that, but stretched across the entire intake tract, right?
    Whoomah!

Solid point!

Glad nothing bad happened and the car is solid... that way I can spend all weekend being totally impotent on the Fiero.

Quote Originally Posted by thesameguy View Post
    Solid point!

Glad nothing bad happened and the car is solid... that way I can spend all weekend being totally impotent on the Fiero.
    Whoomah!

For a minute I thought you somehow ended up with Anne's Volvo. Heh!